VMware NSX Review

Allows us to create very specific segments for each part of the company and the microsegmentation feature is easy to use

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for extended on-premise capabilities. We've been using it for five years.

How has it helped my organization?

I use the cloud now but in the past, we were able to create very specific segments for each part of the company.

What is most valuable?

We like that we can split networks. Layers 4 and 7 are nice. We like that load balancing is easy for the person running it and certain features like the web bouncers F5.

We like that the microsegmentation feature is easy to use. It is easy to segment the network.

What needs improvement?

At the moment it hasn't helped us prolong our hardware refresh.

Three to five years.

You can easily integrate this with other VMware products. It is a robust solution.

The scalability is good.

I never had to use their technical support.

We were trying to save money and trying to use a more flexible solution so we decided to go with NSX as opposed to another hardware or solution.

I found that it was easy to install. In fact, I installed it myself.

We saw ROI within the first year and a half.

It has helped us save CapEx but I'm not sure exactly how much.

What other advice do I have?

I rated this solution a nine because it's easy to use. It has a lot of capabilities, like microsegmentation, which is very good.

If you're worried that NSX is too complex, I would tell you to take another look. If you compare NSX to a similar solution you might find it to be a bit more complex. Usually, the guy that comes in to implement NSX isn't the network guy and will lack the knowledge for the program. He can lack the knowledge for this program and will therefore think it's complex. You need somebody with network experience.