VMware Software Defined Data Center Review

It helps me virtualize my environment. It's a very solid stack

What is most valuable?

It helps me virtualize my environment. The software stack's been out there for over 10-plus years. It's a very solid stack. The feature sets have improved drastically, especially with the new release. Since they are running the same software stack both on-prem and in the cloud that means that I don't have to have different installations. It's a consistent implementation across the board.

How has it helped my organization?

It cuts down the sprawl of the environment. Helps use fewer tools to manage the environment.

What needs improvement?

Maturity of the features they've released just now. What they've released now has a lot of potential, but it's in the very early stages. Again, that consistent feature set across on-prem and cloud, that's what I would look for.

The product's pretty mature, so it's pretty good.

Scalability is great, too. They've made a lot of strides towards making that possible. They've come down to where you can dynamically add and remove resources.

It depends on who get on the other end of the line. Generally, it's good. Their resources are good. There's a lot of online self-help type support.

There is a lot of need for saving real estate cost and cooling, and those kinds of things. This software really helps with that.

I generally look for a company with good technical backing, as company which is constantly refining the product to make it better for the customers.

We chose VMware for the value, and for what we were doing, it was the simplest, most efficient way of deploying the services.

It's become more and more straightforward. It was never too complex, unless we were doing something crazy. It's gotten very simple. From what used to take maybe a couple of days, is down to an hour. That's a huge improvement.

Microsoft was the only other big one. Amazon Web Services is slightly different so I wouldn't put them in the same category, but they are playing in the same level right now.

What other advice do I have?

I personally like to do a proof of concept, build it out, play with the product. That's how I would suggest a colleague evaluate a new product.

Do your homework, go through documentation, talk to the support engineers, sales support, pre-sales support, and just to get a good feel for what is involved. Again, doing a proof of concept helps in figuring out those issues which may come up in production.