VMware Software Defined Data Center Overview

VMware Software Defined Data Center is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Software Defined Data Center vendors. It is most often compared to Azure Stack: VMware Software Defined Data Center vs Azure Stack

What is VMware Software Defined Data Center?

The VMware approach to the SDDC delivers a unified platform that supports any application and provides flexible control. The VMware architecture for the SDDC empowers companies to run hybrid clouds and to leverage unique capabilities to deliver key outcomes that enable efficiency, agility, and security. Enterprises using VMware technology have three ways to establish an SDDC and transition at their own pace: build their own using reference architectures; use a converged infrastructure; or use a hyper-converged infrastructure for which the full SDDC is delivered already implemented on the customer's hardware of choice.

VMware Software Defined Data Center is also known as VMware SDDC.

VMware Software Defined Data Center Buyer's Guide

Download the VMware Software Defined Data Center Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

VMware Software Defined Data Center Customers

ACI, Western Carolina University

VMware Software Defined Data Center Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about VMware Software Defined Data Center pricing:
  • "All of the customers can go to VMware Hands-on Labs online and test this solution before buying it."

AmrHafez
Pre-sales Consultant at Beta IT
Utilizes existing hardware to help modernize established data centers

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integration company and this is one of the solutions that we provide to our clients. One of our clients in the Health Care field is in the process of modernizing their data center using this solution. It will be replacing a lot of different products from different vendors that all have different levels of support. Currently, a large team is required to maintain the data center because it contains legacy technology, and the management of everything is very tough. This solution helps customers to utilize existing hardware and perform this type of migration in steps, replacing… more »

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is the SDDC Manager."
  • "The main problem that we are facing with this solution is vSAN stability."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
EmanueleSparacino
IT Architect at Poste Italiane
Good integration with everything available on a single pane of glass

What is our primary use case?

We started the project using this solution about three years ago, and we are now in production. We primarily use this solution for automation. We have an on-premises deployment.

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is integration because everything is available on a single pane of glass."
  • "We have some Intel machines and some AMD machines, are we cannot mix these within the same cluster."

What other advice do I have?

You have to learn a lot before using this product, but once you learn it, there are a lot of advantages. The main problem is design, not implementation. When it comes to this type of solution, there are not very many people who are skilled in managing it. For example, I could say that in Italy we have four or five. I definitely recommend this product for others but, again, in some cases, there is a lot of work to do. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Azure Stack vs. VMware Software Defined Data Center and other solutions. Updated: May 2021.
512,221 professionals have used our research since 2012.
BasheerAhmed
IT Infrastructure Strategy, Tranformation, & DC Operations, Data Science at KFMC
Installing the virtual environment takes little effort as it is easy to set up and configure

What is our primary use case?

Server virtualization is the primary use case. There were a few reasons we went with VMware virtualization: * There were exponential demands from the business for servers, databases, applications, and quick availability. * Lack of data center facilities. * Time to setup, configure, and install the servers.

• "It is very easy to do technology refreshments, patching, and upgrades with almost zero downtime. Its easy to bring servers online within few minutes."
  • "We would like to see more analytics, artificial intelligence (AI), and machine learning capabilities in their products."

What other advice do I have?

It is great product. In the end, we are happy to have a stable infrastructure for our team and DevOps. I recommend going with VMware for all of your critical applications.
Hatim Ali
System Administrator at IMC
Feature-rich for management of multiple VMware hosts, but the web interface needs to be more responsive

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to help centralize our office. We have two Data Centers. One of them is for our DR and the other is for production. This is an on-premises deployment.

• "Using this solution will provide you with a lot of features for working with multiple VMware hosts."
  • "The most recent web-based interface has given us some problems."

What other advice do I have?

It is hard to find things that this product needs. Whatever we have needed, we found it. We are completely satisfied with this product. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
SA
Techincal Sales Manager at ENTAP TECHNOLOGIES LTD
Easy to use and straightforward to install, with good stability and a helpful knowledge base

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and this is one of the solutions that we provide to our customers. I have experience with using this solution in both cloud-based and on-premises deployments.

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is vSphere."
  • "We would like to have active-active replication."

What other advice do I have?

This is a very nice solution. I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
ES
Technical Administrator at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Provides us with IaaS that has good stability and performance

What is our primary use case?

We are using all of the virtualization technology. Our primary use case is infrastructure as a service (IaaS). For some clients, we provide backup as a service. In this case, we back up their on-premises data to the cloud. We are using the cloud deployment model.

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is the infrastructure as a service."
  • "They are using vRealize Log Insight as the virtualized log platform, but this solution is not well developed and not yet ready to use for advanced optimization and troubleshooting."

What other advice do I have?

We are not using the latest version, and we plan on doing some upgrades. This is a solution that I recommend. It is really stable and rewarding. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Bunmi-Sadiq
IT Supervisor at WACT
A very stable, extremely scalable solution that is easy to deploy

What is our primary use case?

We primarily used the solution at first for business applications, then it as the port operator. We use it for the management of shipping containers, so we have a primary data center and secondary data center.

• "he ease of deploying virtual machines is the solution's most valuable feature. Moving virtual machines from one post to another is easy. Within minutes you can easily deploy your virtual machines and deploy your applications as well."
  • "The automation of the solution needs improvement. We should be able to automate some processes."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. I would recommend the solution. It is one of the best in the market. It's very easy. They also offer knowledge right on their website, which is very helpful. If anyone has issues they can refer to the knowledge base for recommendations. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.
DenisDI SANTO
Senior System Engineer at Clinique Pasteur
Great stability, simple to set up, and good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to host all of the programs that we need. We have about four hundred VMs that we use for our applications. We have an on-premises deployment.

What is most valuable?

There are many features in this solution that are useful. It is difficult to point out any particular feature over another.

What needs improvement?

It would be an improvement to have more functionality with hardware products. For example, performing routine analytics on a hardware network would be useful because not many network switches can do it.

We have been using this solution for one year.

The stability of this solution is great.

What do I think about the

See 1 more VMware Software Defined Data Center Reviews