VMware Software Defined Data Center Review

We can view and quickly build the performance reports.

What is most valuable?

The fact that we can troubleshoot is the most valuable feature. We can view the performance reports; we can also quickly build them using the templates and clone. The clone portion of it has a lot of things.

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to scale down in the data center, we were able to scale down with the physical boxes to VMs. It also released space because we actually have the data center offsite that we spend money on such as power, etc. We were scaling down on the hardware, so using VMware has really improved in cutting back/ decreasing the cost of hardware.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the vSphere Client to have more options as opposed to the web client. I don't like using the web client and HTML. I don't like using that.

Stability is great.

Scalability is also good.

Technical support for VMware is excellent. We always seem to reach the right person, they are quite knowledgeable.

We were looking for ways to improve our environment and how we could reduce in the hardware environment and then, still have the same support that we needed for our users. That is how we decided to go for this solution.
Support factor is big for me while choosing a vendor. However, for the CEO or the director, it would be the cost.

The setup was pretty much straightforward. However, they did not send an in-house team.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great product. I like it and we've been using it for years. Once you get the hang of it, you will enjoy it. It's fun to learn.

Do your homework. Make sure that it's going to work for your environment. We were trying to decrease our hardware and were finding the easy way to do so. Thus, it just depends on what it is that you are looking to do in your environment and what is the best option to choose. Once you do your research, you can talk to people who have already implemented it and go from there.