VMware Software Defined Data Center Review

Feature-rich for management of multiple VMware hosts, but the web interface needs to be more responsive

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to help centralize our office.

We have two Data Centers. One of them is for our DR and the other is for production. This is an on-premises deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a lot of VMware hosts and this solution is needed for them. If you have more than two VMware hosts then you definitely need this solution to connect and manage them.

What is most valuable?

Using this solution will provide you with a lot of features for working with multiple VMware hosts.

What needs improvement?

The most recent web-based interface has given us some problems. For example, if you delete a virtual machine or you delete storage then it takes a long time to refill it. In prior versions that were a client installed directly on the PC, the interface was more responsive. Things happened on time. I had a problem last week where one of my VMs was deleted, and it took perhaps thirty minutes to repair it.

I have been using this product for more than five years.

This product is one hundred percent stable.

After we installed it, we have not had any issues with the core product.

Scalability depends on the hardware. If you have a server with low performance when you will have problems. On the other hand, if you use high-performance servers then you will have no trouble with scalability.

We have not needed to contact technical support regarding this solution.

We used another virtual environment prior to this solution, but it was not as stable. Stability is important because if you need to restart the server then it will restart all of the virtual machines inside it.

The initial setup of this solution is not a problem.

We handled the implementation and we do the support for this product ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

It is hard to find things that this product needs. Whatever we have needed, we found it.

We are completely satisfied with this product.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.