VMware Tanzu Mission Control Review

A centrally managed security platform with a rich set of features, but it could be more secure.

What is our primary use case?

We use Mission Control for cloud-native developments where the underlying layer is Kubernetes. We do deployments, and we check the code in GitHub and integrate with GitLab. In GitLab, we have the Git Actions, and it triggers the CI/CD pipeline.

It's all based on the underlying cloud-native development perspective and the actual deployment in the cloud. It depends on the particular flow from the development environment to the staging environment and the cloud deployment. That's why it's in a hybrid cloud, and we have two deployment topologies. One is vm cloud, and the other is vCloud on AWS.

AWS is the public cloud part of it. We also have the Azure Cloud, and Azure is our hybrid cloud environment. This is basically for the use cases around the CI/CD and monitoring the CI/CD cloud-native deployments in the azure cloud. If we have containerized images that have to be deployed in azure cloud, we monitor them using the Tanzu Mission Control.

What is most valuable?

Tanzu Mission Control has quite a set of rich features when compared to OpenShift. I like the dashboard for monitoring the CI/CD pipeline, the entire process of releasing it into the cloud, and deploying it to the cloud.

What needs improvement?

We want to see a new feature that helps build more security architecture like Zero Trust Security or shifting left in Kubernetes. It would help if they build something like that into the product and actually make all the containerized images deploy into the Azure Cloud in a secured manner.

I've been using VMware Tanzu Mission Control over the past year.

VMware Tanzu Mission Control is a stable product.

It's scalable but takes one day because the underlying architecture is all Kubernetes. Kubernetes has got the master-worker clusters and the slave nodes. The master cluster manages multiple pods on slave nodes, and then there is a control plane. These three are the major components in the Kubernetes underlying architecture, which allows you to scale faster. You can scale easily, and you can scale based on the business KPIs. You can also scale based on the technical KPIs.

VMware has an extended team. The VMware onsite engineers are deployed to the account as the extended team is involved in 24/7 support because ours is a very big account for them. Not only that, it means we are rolling out the cloud-native development, which is very business-critical. It goes through support and is made available by VMware on a regular basis. But it's in terms of the deployment, monitoring, and fixing any possible bugs.

The initial setup is straightforward. Once we created the cluster in Azure Cloud, it doesn't take more than six to eight hours to deploy Tanzu Mission Control on top of it.

We have a large infrastructure team that works as a VMware standard team, offsite and onsite. They are involved in doing the configurations and deployments. We don't need more than five people to deploy this solution.

VMware Tanzu Mission Control is cheaper than Red Hat OpenShift.

We initially had a hybrid cloud in the Red Hat hybrid cloud environment, and I think they provided OpenShift, and it was evaluated. But Red Hat was expensive. OpenShift has integrations with all kinds of cloud-native libraries, but even Tanzu Mission Control supports most cloud-native libraries. New cloud-native projects can also be integrated easily. But I think, in terms of the features, Tanzu Mission Control has quite a rich feature set compared to the OpenShift.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give VMware Tanzu Mission Control a six.

Hybrid Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)

Latest Version
More VMware Tanzu Mission Control reviews from users
...who compared it with OpenShift Container Platform
Find out what your peers are saying about VMware, Red Hat, Rancher Labs and others in Container Management. Updated: June 2021.
512,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.