VMware vRealize Automation (vRA) Review

You can use it at any of the layers of Cloud, like infrastructure or software

What is most valuable?

Anything which operates "as a service". I have worked in the Cloud industry a long time, so I have a lot of experience with Cloud. I see that there is a lot of flexibility in anything that's a service. You can use it at any of the layers of Cloud, like infrastructure or software.

How has it helped my organization?

I have worked in client-facing roles and at enterprise level. We have used VMware vRA. The best has been, from the infrastructure side, having storage as a service for customers. On top of that we add functionality for monitoring and alerts.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of improvements required with regards to vRealize Automation. There are a couple of areas I would like to pinpoint. There are a couple of workflows missing from the storage side, so we can't easily add to my current blueprint.

Almost eight years.

Yes, in older versions. For example, 5.1. There were a lot of stability issues. Now it seems pretty stable.

Scaling works quite well. I have vRealize Automation and on the Cloud I have IBM Blue Mix. So I have scaling of my environment and I can scale my storage.

There is very little documentation with regards to when your single sign-on password changes annually. Then there are a lot of issues with regards to setting up the database and syncing up the single sign-on passwords. At the end of the entire environment there is a network and rebuilding the entire environment is inevitable sometimes. So there needs to be documentation.

I had used OpenStack but I would not say it is great. There are a lot of pickups of bad information. I would say vRealize Automation is much better.

I would give the latest version of vRealize Automation a 10 out of 10 because it helped minimize the setup time.

What other advice do I have?

It requires very limited time to set up an enterprise environment. There is a lot of inter-configuration required to ensure your environment is built properly.