VMware vRealize Automation (vRA) Review

​Self-service and automation reduce the amount of time to build a virtual machine and related costs

What is most valuable?

Self-service and automation. They reduce the amount of time to build a virtual machine and reduce the operation costs.

How has it helped my organization?

The requesters create their own virtual machines now, instead of a series of tickets to get things built.

What needs improvement?

We're still running version 6. When we upgrade to version 7, a lot of our issues should be addressed already. Things like some of the flexibility, and some of the ease of automation.

It's very stable.

It's extremely scalable.

Since we moved to Business Critical Support, it's been very good. I always reach the right person.

We needed a self-provisioning front end. So, this was the best option.

Complex. We deployed the original version of vCAC and there wasn't a lot of documentation at the time. There are a lot of disparate parts that have to be deployed on multiple machines that involve a bunch of load bouncers. Issues like that.

We purchased PSO resources.

Licensing's expensive.

VM was the only one we really looked at.

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria when looking at various vendors are reliability, their position within the industry, and the ability to get references from existing customers.

Do a lot of planning upfront because some of the choices you make, when you initially deploy, you'll have to live with in the end. Sizing is the main one.

I would suggest hiring a PSO.