VMware vRealize Automation (vRA) Review

Can scale out deployments, though cumbersome to set up

What is most valuable?

• Web front-ends
  • Orchestrator scripting engine

How has it helped my organization?

We're automating a lot of OS builds. The front-end gives us a way for users to go and request those services and the orchestrator pirate lets us automate a lot of the functions involved in them.

It's like a streamline deposit made more available.

What needs improvement?

I want to see them get rid of the IS component and make it a VMware appliance. There are a lot of requirements for Windows servers, which is not good for our environment. This makes configuration and installation tough.

It's cumbersome to set up. It requires a lot of Window servers, which we don't like and the external load balancer configurations, which we also don't like. But overall it does have an HA solution, so that's better than no HA solution.

We got VMware resources to guide us and help us with the deployment.

It has an HA configuration, which is pretty good. It could be better.

You can scale out deployment so that's good as well. You can just tack on more Windows servers. That's good for scale out.

I'd give them a seven out of 10.

We get a lot of run around in terms of technical support. Usually, first tech we get can't help us. We end up going down the pipeline to get someone that can.

We're pretty heavily invested in VMware, so there was no competition.

We built an SDDC environment and we needed a way for customers to consume services out of it.

I was involved in the initial setup. It was a complex product.

vRA requires a lot of development work. It's not something you just set up, then it works. You have to tailor it to your environment and develop stuff to do with it. There is a lot of development effort with the product.

If you are looking at implementing the product, hire a Dev team.

No, we're using vRA and other VMware products.

What other advice do I have?

They're the pioneers of virtualization.

The vSphere stack and all their other products are integrated with our core stack, which is vSphere. That's really the big reason why we like all their other products.