VMware vRealize Automation (vRA) Review

It is our service catalog for our hybrid cloud.

What is most valuable?

It is our service catalog for our hybrid cloud which is the most valuable feature.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to be more agile and provide services to our company more rapidly.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement for mostly stuff around containers and controlling containers.

This solution is very stable.

This solution is very scalable.

I have used technical support. They are excellent. We used their professional services to help us install it.

I just knew where the industry was going. I just knew that it has been moving for a long time in that direction and I was looking for something that we already owned. Also, the team was knowledgeable so that we could use them for orchestration.

The setup was complex. It's a lot of independent components that are put together that make up a software-defined data center. So, it's really complex. They sent an in-house team.

Support, cost, and functionality are the factors that we look for while selecting a vendor.

VMware was the only one that we actually looked at because the other option was OpenStack; we weren't going with OpenStack.

What other advice do I have?

Do it and do it quickly.

It depends on what your app stack is and whether your cloud-native or not. However, if you have a monolithic stack like Oracle and the traditional data center apps, it's the way to go. But, if you are cloud centric and use a lot of web services, then it's probably not the right solution.

You should form a team, be committed to it and expect to put in a lot of work/effort/time into it.