VMware vRealize Automation (vRA) Review

Our users can order VMs using the API

What is our primary use case?

We use vRealize Automation for our customers. We are an internal service company and use vRA for a SAFE Self Service portal for our customers to provide VMs.

We started five years ago with normal virtualization. Then, the platform grew and our customers requested additional services.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides faster SAFE services.

What is most valuable?

• It has the possibility to combine different clouds.
  • We can provide internal VMs and also VMs from AVS for our customers.
  • Our users can order VMs using the API.

What needs improvement?

The API support could be better, because if your customers are developers, the first thing they do is Google, "How will this API function?" If you have vRA in the API, Google returns nothing. Therefore, my colleagues programmed an internal wrapper so the customers can talk with the API. We have to create our own documentation.

It would be better if VMware would provide API documentation for developers and customers on the Internet.

More than five years.

It is stable.

The scalable is okay.

We have business-critical support, so this is the best support level available from VMware.

The setup process is good.

My team did the upgrade, but I did not hear anything bad about the experience.

What other advice do I have?

The new version is user-friendly and intuitive. We have upgraded to 7.5, and this has been a good step for the product's usability.

Today, I would start with the vRA device. In the beginning, we did a lot of stuff with vRealize Orchestrator, so we had to develop our workflows on our own, which is a bit more complicated. So, vRA is good idea if you want to start and get quick results.