VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

We've started using views a lot more. I would like to see more automation in terms of the remediation.

What is most valuable?

• It's become a lot simpler.
  • We've started using views a lot more.
  • The plugins for managing the virtual desktops, specifically the PC-over-IP and the latency.

Often times, an end user complains why something's slow, and you can immediately look at the dashboard and see exactly why. You have green, yellow or red, and you’ll see that latency's high, or you have some storage latency, as well, that is going to cause some slowness that the users are complaining about.

How has it helped my organization?

Most companies are trying to do a lot more with less. So, instead of being proactive, they're being reactive. There are pieces in vROps that allow them to become more proactive. There's some automation into fixing and remediating that are built into the product.

Often times, we hand this off to the customer so I can't give any specifics on whether vROps has helped avoid outages or shortened outage time. I haven't seen anyone actually save on storage. A lot of people use it for trending analysis; they don't usually move workloads around and actually show savings. As far as performance management is concerned, I have not really seen things speed up.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more automation in terms of the remediation, instead of it just being a monitoring tool. Obviously, you don't want it to be causing issues in your environment and maybe you turn on features as you get more comfortable, but if it's just there to monitor, what's the point? You could use other tools, but if you're trying to do more with less and you're spending a lot of money on rightsizing this and deploying it correctly, it'd be better if I'd actually get something more than just a nice dashboard.

One of the bugs right now is, we've had some issues with single sign-ons; it's a known issue. It seemed like a pretty easy one.

The stability of the product has gotten a lot better recently. It's a nice dashboard tool for management, but the actual admins aren't using it on a day-to-day basis. When they do log in, something's locked out and they have to restart the services. They've had some issues, but it's become a lot better. We're still seeing it here and there.

Technical support has actually been pretty good. Obviously, pretty much for any company, tier one support is going to be what it is, but if you give them the information they need, I've actually seen some people who know the product really well.

Then the deployment of it is not as simple as it should be sometimes. To do it correctly, it's very complex. When you do it right, it becomes a very useful tool but if you don't do it right, it just becomes another nagging monitoring tool. One of the hardest parts is rightsizing it. There are tools out there to do that. Each environment is unique and it's not as simple as some of the competitive products out there. If you don't tune it, you're going to see a ton of red.

We've seen some customers deploy things for remote offices and they know that they're going to have some kind of slowness in the product. Instead of fixing itself, the baseline's there and it's not as intelligent as it should be.

I know Turbonomic is one that comes up all the time. A lot of times, for monitoring, we ask companies what they're currently using: Are they using SolarWinds or are they using something else, and how can we help them?