VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

It provides a view into all of my clusters from each one of my data centers at the same time.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to get a view into all of my clusters from each one of my data centers at the same time.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to meet the needs of our customers a little better as far as capacity management. We can keep ahead of the curve of adding new hardware at the cluster side to meet the demand for what the other teams – such as the Windows team and Linux teams – need for their VMs.

What needs improvement?

The biggest room for improvement that I can see on vROps is for slightly better definitions around the metrics inside of the reporting. For some of that, it's difficult to find any kind of documentation that explains exactly what you're getting out of each particular metric.

I haven't seen any issues with stability at all. It works great.

Once again, I don't see any issues with scalability.

I have not had to use technical support.

We weren't using anything previously. Of course, we had a few talks with our reps at VMware, and they suggested we use it. We looked into it a little bit and it looked like it'd be a good tool for us.

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor such as VMware is obviously market space and how popular they are. What everybody else's experience with them are.

I was not involved in the initial setup. I heard it was straightforward for us.

I don't believe we were considering any other solutions at the time.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely give vROps a shot; at least if you can get a PoC to see if it works and if it's the right solution for you.

I think it works good. I'm not as experienced with it as some of the other people on my team, so they might have a few more things they dislike or like more about it. But so far from what I've seen, it works great.