VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

I like the predictive analytics. Over time, it learns the environment, including the peaks and valleys.

Valuable Features

The number one, most valuable feature is the simplicity of deployment. It's basically an appliance you deploy. It's easy to go in; you set up your connector to vCenter and it pulls in the information.

I like the predictive analytics, so over time, vROps will learn the environment; learn when you have peaks and valleys.

I like the heat map, unless there's a bug. I ran into an issue before and it relates to where there was a bug, everything was red. The week after I left the deployment, I had to, put out a new release. I had to go and wipe everything and re-install it. That was a pain, but that's what I like the most. It learns the environment. You can see where your sore spots are. Where you have contention. As a former sys admin, that helps a lot.

Improvements to My Organization

Going back to the heat map, it gives you more visibility. You go into a vCenter and see, this data store is getting full, or this or that.

It simplifies the troubleshooting when you have a VM that is having problems. You can go into vROps and see, for example, there is high disk latency on this data store. You can see it instantly. The VM will show red and you can see which VM has the problem and where the issue is at.

Room for Improvement

For previous releases, I would say they needed to streamline the deployment model, which they’ve now done.

I'd like to see them bring custom dashboards into all versions of the product. A lot of times I'm deploying vROps, the base version comes with essentials plus kit and it doesn't allow you to do custom dashboards. You've got to get the higher tier.

Right now, when I install vROps, it has the default: Here's your heat map, here's this, here's that. If they had a way to do custom dashboards, they could create one for the storage guy to go in - okay, here's all the top storage things the vCenter is saying. Or, they could have the sys admins that manage, maybe Linux or Windows, create custom dashboards that show the top five Linux VMs that are having issues or the top five Windows VMs.

That would probably be the biggest improvement they could make.

Since I mainly just install it and go, it's fairly stable. I haven't had any customers report that vROps keeps crashing or that they’re having issues. It seems fairly stable for what I use it for.

I don't have too much insight on that because most of my deployments have been fairly small.

I haven't had to use technical support yet.

Initial setup is super easy. All of the OVA appliances - as far as what I've used - from VMware are easy. What's even easier is - I don't remember which release it was - but it's now a single appliance. Whereas before, there were multiple appliances. It could get somewhat convoluted because you had to get multiple IPs, but they've really streamlined the deployment model with one appliance, one VM to run it.

Other Advice

Make sure you read the release notes.

I would usually try and deploy the very latest version. I ran into issues where there was a bug and the reporting was broken.

We use vROps because it just makes sense. vROps is being included in most bundles that our sales team is selling. It's nice. I like to stay within the same family of products; one throat to choke if something goes wrong.

More VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) reviews from users
...who work at a Healthcare Company
...who compared it with SolarWinds Virtualization Manager
Learn what your peers think about VMware vRealize Operations (vROps). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.