VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

Gives us the opportunity to take a look at our VM performance unlike other tools.

What is most valuable?

It gives us the opportunity to take a look at our VM performance in a way that we don't necessarily get a chance to do with some of our other tools.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us to do some capacity planning at a fairly detailed level so that we can go back and look at not only some of our workloads, in order to see if they need to be shifted around within the existing infrastructure, but it allows us to do some capacity planning. This allows us to look for what we need to purchase moving forward, so as to keep our infrastructure where we need it to be from a performance perspective.

What needs improvement?

Some of the improvements are related to the better user management. For example, there is need to see better tie-ins to the AD or to open the LDAP framework, so that we can actually have our main users logging in using the centralized authentication instead of having to set-up the users.

The dashboards are pretty configurable at this point, but possibly some more knobs are required to turn in terms of being able to look at the troubleshooting of the workloads at scale, and how to solve some of those scalability gaps.

I haven't had any issues in terms of its scalability with the current version. The previous version was not the most user-friendly one, but this one has definitely made some improvements.

We use it in a very limited capacity, so I can't discuss the scalability aspect.

We knew we needed to invest in this solution because we really didn't have a good way to look at our VM performance from a high-level across the entire enterprise.

The support structure has to be halfway decent. The software should work, and I've been with vendors where the software hasn't worked so that's always an important consideration while selecting a vendor. Cost is helpful, i.e., the fact that you don't have to spend an arm and a leg on it is always nice in terms of the budgeting time. Probably, not necessarily in that order, I think that the functionality, support, and cost are the way that we look at it from a business perspective.

Since we're a VMware shop this was pretty much where we hit the nail on the head.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely, use it. Take a look at the licensing model and make sure that it fits what you're trying to do with it. Other than that, I would still recommend it, even though, I think it could use a little bit of improvement.

Since it sits alongside an installation, preparation is as simple as building another VM to put it on, as far as I'm concerned. The installation is pretty straightforward, at least based on the experience that my team had in terms of doing the upgrades and things of that nature.