VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

Helps with troubleshooting times by proving it's not a virtualization issue

What is most valuable?

The performance graphing, and being able to dig in if there are any issues with a particular VM alerting.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps with troubleshooting times, or at least proves to somebody it's not a virtualization issue. Shows what's going on inside the VMs and the environment as a whole.

I don't know if this really helps us with anything stability-wise. It can uncover some things that we may not have known, and it will bubble them up to the surface.

What needs improvement?

I definitely would like to see the development of dashboards not requiringe a PhD. There's so much data in there. There's so many knobs and things you can turn, that's all great and all, but just to get the basic data that I think is usable, and to build an easy to use dashboard, could be simplified. More of a drag and drop type model, without having to dig into things for correlations.

The solution itself has been very stable. Upgrades are easy, and it's been real stable.

We haven't scaled it since we deployed it from the initial sizing other than adding disc space to it, but to add extra collector nodes, or whatever. Simple.

Not for vROps.

I was not involved.

What other advice do I have?

It's not always the easiest product to work around in, and build (meaningful) dashboards. I think the UI has improved greatly over the years, but I think there's definitely room for improvements to make it overall easier to manage the product without having to be a specialist in the product.

Do your due diligence. Evaluate all of the products, and make sure what you're buying is going to meet your needs and criteria. Whatever that may be.

Things to look out for:

• Definitely functionality
  • Ease of use
  • Scalability
  • Cost value

More VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) reviews from users
...who work at a Healthcare Company
...who compared it with SolarWinds Virtualization Manager
Learn what your peers think about VMware vRealize Operations (vROps). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
534,057 professionals have used our research since 2012.