VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

Blueprints and Workflows enable us to let developers spin up workloads as needed

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to automate workflows within the corporate data center and to automate in and out of the cloud, spinning up workloads in both locations. So far, the performance has been great.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our time to deliver on systems, for development workloads. As we do that with our larger development platforms, they don't have to wait on us, as infrastructure, to spin those up. They can just spin up what they need and get to work.

There is also definitely a cost saving because we don't have to have as many people. A smaller workforce can take care of it in a timely manner.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the Blueprints and Workflows, to be able to hand the self-service portal out; to get out of the way and let the developers spin up their workloads as they need them.

It is intuitive and user-friendly. As you go through it, with some of the wizards and some of the interfaces that are out there, I think it's fairly easy to step through, even when we're training new employees to work with the product.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see the streamlining of more wizards, more tasks that are canned. And it would also be good to see some more features around building the Blueprints, just to make it a little easier.

Less than one year.

It has been very stable, no issues.

Scalability: It's as big as we need it to be. We just add in new services, new hosts. It works really well.

I don't know that we have had to use technical support. We did our initial deployment with VMware Professional Services, so we really haven't had to get support on it at all.

We knew we needed to do something different. One of the big complaints from development had always been that they were waiting on us. We talked with our local VMware team about this and started down this road. It took about a year to get it done, but we finally got the buy-in by packaging it with NSX for our security folks - they've got deep pockets. So we were able to get the whole project done.

Our return on investment, again, is a lot on the people front. Instead of having to expand, we just run a leaner workshop and we have the people to do that. So the cost saving has been around not having to pay for additional employees to support our environment.

We looked at Cisco CloudCenter. We looked at it at the same time but we knew that 95 percent of our infrastructure runs VMware today, so we wanted to go with the same kind of ecosystem.

What other advice do I have?

If you're heavily invested in VMware already, go this way. It's going to be a lot better in the long run.

I rate it a nine out of 10. To get to a 10, I would like to see those improvements around the UI and making things a little more user-friendly.