VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

Provides us with visibility into our environment, helps with capacity planning

What is our primary use case?

We have heavily invested in VMware technology. We're running vSphere, we're running other products, and obviously, we need visibility into our environment.

What is most valuable?

VMWare is quite good at following customer needs. We are working closely with our TAM so whenever we've had something that we want out of the product, around capacity planning, for example, they tend to be a good conduit getting our needs into VMware.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes what a customer sees as a need for improvement could be incorrect sizing or a result of a specific deployment. So usually, the things we want are a more frequent sampling of the various metrics and the like.

In terms of VMware support, VMware has been, to some extent, a victim of its own success. But in general, they've been always very helpful. It's always good to have the TAMs to get the support, even when they're overwhelmed with requests.

We've explored a number of products. We've used SolarWinds and their VMWare add-ons. But to be able to actually see what our infrastructure does, vRealize Operations Manager has been the closest match as part of our Enterprise agreement. We are licensed for the Blue Medora Advanced Suite which is like an add-on to vRealize Operations Manager. That gives us the visibility into our Cisco and HPE equipment. It's a natural choice.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to a colleague if they have a VMware shop and need something to provide visibility in their environment.

I would definitely give it around a nine out of 10 because sometimes, in terms of the user experience, people find stuff difficult to use. But obviously, the more dashboards you create that are relevant to you, the better it will be.