VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

Enabled us to drive more utilization out of our existing compute infrastructure

What is our primary use case?

One use case was to get better insights into the infrastructure, to be able to do things like closed-loop automation, based on the data that we're finding within vRealize Operations. But we're also using it to get a better understanding of capacity within our environment. That was the primary use case. We've expanded those use cases through integration with Log Insight as well.

How has it helped my organization?

We went from using industry standard KPIs to going to a complete on-demand model based on the algorithms from vRealize Operations. It has enabled us to drive more utilization out of our existing compute infrastructure to the point where, for a period of six months, we didn't purchase a single server or any additional compute. We were able to continue to sweat our existing assets.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the seamless integration with the vSphere Client and being able to go quickly back and forth between an incident within the vSphere interface and the actual drilling into it within vROps, to identify problems.

I find it to be intuitive and user-friendly as well.

What needs improvement?

The integration with Log Insight is a big thing for us. We're hoping to take point-in-time events that are happening within the environment, feed them into incidents within vROps, and then be able to execute a remediation step, through vRealize Orchestrator and the like.  We're looking for that seamless integration.

Stability has been good. There were some issues where we didn't have it scaled out properly, initially. But once we got a handle on that, because of the size of our environment - how to have it handle that much information coming at it - it became stable and has been since.

Scalability has been pretty easy. You just add additional worker nodes into the environment. It has not been a problem for us.

We have had to use technical support extensively. We had a pretty significant engagement to stand up the product and we've been using support as needed to understand certain metrics better and the things that we should be looking at. There's such a breadth of information in there that we needed some help trying to boil it down.

We did see a big change in that with the latest release, not dumbing it down, but consolidating some of the data that you're getting into a little bit more of a consumable format. It is easier to make sense of it without having to drill too far into the weeds.

What other advice do I have?

Be prepared to get it spun up quickly but, to really get the value out of the product, I'm not saying you have to dedicate resources to it, just give it a little care. Don't just make it a shelfware product where you install and use it for one very small thing. It's a powerful product but you do need some expertise and some time and effort spent to actually drive value out of it.

When selecting a vendor, what's important to me is commitment to the customer in terms of supportability and to be with me when I do have issues. I want them to work with me to troubleshoot and understand that it's not always about the price, it's not always about the name, it's about how they react when things aren't going well.

Because of the early struggles we had, I would go with an eight out of ten for vROps at this point. Again, a lot of those things were just figuring out how much infrastructure it needed, to perform in our size of environment.