VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

Troubleshooting with it has enabled us to claim back over-allocated resources

What is our primary use case?

We use it daily for troubleshooting. We use it for charting, for reports. It's an awesome product. The performance is good.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is troubleshooting. When somebody comes and says, "I have slow response," and we say, "Really?" And they say, "Yeah, we want double the CPU and RAM." We can take a look at it and say, "Uh, no. Here's what you're using, and this is what you've allocated. Oh, and by the way, you've over-allocated, are you ready to give some back?" So it's been a great tool for us to reclaim resources.

It's user-friendly. When you click on it, everything is spelled out - as long as you understand the basics of how virtualization, CPU, and memory work. Everything you need when you click on it is right there. You just pick the right thing, and it gives you a report immediately. I think it's very intuitive.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see more of the advanced reporting without having to go to the advanced product and paying the extra price. Canned reports are great, but you shouldn't have to pay for custom reports.

The stability is, for the most part, most of the time, excellent.

In terms of scalability, as far as I'm concerned, the jury's still out on that. There are some small details but we have a call coming up and we're working on it.

For the contract that we paid for, technical support was okay. For the service we're used to getting, before we downgraded our service, it was not as good. But that was not on them, that was on us.

Unfortunately, we were using vFoglight and that thing was the most complicated solution. You needed to be a rocket scientist to even use it. We were glad to get rid of it after three years, and we've been extremely pleased since we migrated.

The most important criteria, for us, when selecting a vendor are

• reliability
  • length of time in the industry
  • tech support.

The initial setup was not complex but a little hard.

I don't really have the numbers for ROI, but I can tell you it has increased them.

We looked at vFoglight again, but it was too difficult. We looked at a product called VMTurbo (Turbonomic), and it didn't really come up to par during the PoC that we went through. We weren't very happy with it.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of advice to colleagues, I would give them examples of reports to prove that what we're saying is true, but the proof is in the pudding.

I rate it a nine out of 10. If it had more advanced features without having to pay for them it would be a 10.