VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

It has helped us to reduce "VM sprawl," reclaim resources like memory, CPU, storage

What is our primary use case?

Optimization of our virtual environment.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps as far as determining virtual machines that are not being properly utilized, if they're over-extended for resources such as CPU and memory. If not, we can then determine if that VM is still used and we can help better optimize our environment. It has helped us to reduce the amount of VM sprawl, VMs that are not necessarily used. We can then reclaim resources such as memory, CPU, and storage.

It has also helped us with troubleshooting key points of our environment. If there are issues that come up, we can dig down to a virtual machine and see if it's having issues and where those issues lie: if it needs more memory, CPU, or if there is a storage issue.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is being able to optimize our environment so we can better manage it.

It's very easy to use and easy to learn. There's some learning curve, but it's a very small learning curve, something you can easily grasp. VMware has helped us with some educational tools and there are some online tools that you can use as well.

Less than one year.

It's very stable. We haven't had any downtime.

I haven't tried it for scalability yet, but I think we're going to get there. From what I've read, it's pretty easy to scale out.

I have not had to use technical support yet. I have just been learning it on my own.

I would say our ROI is tens of thousands. I expect to reduce our footprint in the data center, so we've definitely reclaimed a lot of storage.

What other advice do I have?

Compare the solutions and see which one is going to give you the best bang for your buck, the best functionality, and help your environment.

The most important criteria when working with a vendor are the

• service they provide
  • ease of use of the product.

It's not perfect but it's a good solution. It was implemented before I joined the company. I wish I had known more about it, such as: How does it cost-compare to other solutions and how does it compare to solutions like Turbonomic; how does it compare in terms of functionality?