VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

It displays on the dashboard what our support technicians can do to resolve issues

What is our primary use case?

We use it for proactive and reactive monitoring.

How has it helped my organization?

I just came off a contract where capacity management was a major issue. They hadn't planned for it or made any provisions for it. So, they were looking at the operations teams to sort of do capacity management for them. This project came along, I picked it up, used vROps, and was able to say, "This is what's going on. This is what we are going to have to do. This is what we need to do to be where we want be."

What is most valuable?

Its ability to resolve an issue from within the application rather than going somewhere else to resolve it.

The dashboard is a single pane of glass for troubleshooting.

I've never had an issue with stability.

It is very easy to scale. However, in the beginning, I picked up an implementation that had been designed wrong from the ground up.

Ideally, somebody using the technical support when I found out the configuration was incorrect.

I still received a lot of help from the support agent who dealt with my case. What he couldn't do was tell me what to do to bring it back into line. However, he told me what it needed to look like, which was very well documented anyway. Though, having someone point you in the right direction can be a good thing.

The initial setup can be complex, but it is not too complex for me. I consider it straightforward.

We are an integrator.

We have seen huge ROI.

It has certainly reduced troubleshooting, especially when we have less experienced support technicians than engineers looking at it. It guides them as to where to find the solution. Now, I have a lot less junior staff coming up to me asking what has gone wrong because it displays on the dashboard what they can do to resolve it.

In terms of integration, between this product and everything else in the VM product line, it is very easy to just pick this up as opposed to looking elsewhere.

What other advice do I have?

Use it! It makes perfect sense.

It is very intuitive and user-friendly. The solution is a lot more intuitive and user-friendly these days than it was before.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Integrator.