VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

Video

What is our primary use case?

We initially rolled vROps out for environment health and for the ability to look at the abilities to stabilize the environment. We've actually been able to take advantage of it also with resource reclamation which was a big selling point for leadership.

How has it helped my organization?

The sandbox is a good example of how this product has improved my organization. We had our development team asking for more resources. With vROps, we were able to go in and show them specifically that they weren't consuming these resources. We needed to be able to take these back but during peak times the resources can be given back automatically by the system, in a proactive manner without causing any kind of downtime or any kind of an issue with loss of work.

What is most valuable?

The resource reclamation is the most valuable feature. We've had issues with our sandbox environment, and reclaiming these resources. Since, it's become a major selling factor in expanding the environment and expanding the client base for vROps.

I have found this solution to be intuitive and user-friendly. Every version that has come out has been better than the last. I am extremely happy with the product.

What needs improvement?

So far, we've managed to build what we were missing, and that's what one of the nice features with our product. The flexibility with it that was missing in previous versions, is now the ability to go in and define the base variables of our environment so that we can tweak it as we need to, take back what we need to, and give what we need to.

With our environment right now, stability is the one sticking point. There hasn't been a great deal of handholding in between the different versions, so we've run into problems with there being what I would call "more than just the average change between versions" and it's caused a loss of data for us in the past.

This solution is most definitely scalable. We've already gone back to the drawing board and specifically designed it from the ground up to be scalable with the size of our environment moving forward.

Technical support has also been a pain point for us. We've had mixed support issues in the past with vROps on stability issues with downtime. Overall, it's gotten better but there still could be some improvement on the GSS side with that.

Having too many monitoring tools is a typical IT problem and the advantage with this solution was that this was giving us the ability not only to check the health of the environment and give operations team a heads up dashboard in order to see the health of the environment, but also have the options for resource reclamation which was a major selling point.

One of the issues that we've had in between the versions is that the set up for it has gotten a little bit more difficult. It doesn't always tell you right away that you'll need to do something different with this version versus a past version which has become an issue. It's now something that we're aware of. From what I've been hearing today, the new setup should be relatively simple in comparison.

We implemented this completely from the ground up, all the way back to one of the older versions. We've used it for the last several years, going through and learning each new version of the product.

We've had a demonstrable increase in value directly related to the actions of the product.

We also looked at VMTurbo and there were a few other ones for resource reclamation but as soon as we found out that vROps in the newer versions was able to be a little bit more robust, it was the clear selling point.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight.