Workfront Review
Workfront - the way work management should be done

Valuable Features

The usability of the system has been great. It was by far the easiest product to use based on the products that we reviewed and the adoption with the use of the product has been great in terms of people understanding the system. People spend time learning our process and methods, and not the tool which is the way it is supposed to be.

The communication enhancements with the tool have been wonderful. In some cases, Workfront has replaced email communication and everything is done in the system. People have left the dashboards up on their computer screens all day and really use that to manage their work, communication, time, and really all aspects of their day.

Improvements to My Organization

We have two separate departments that use Workfront for various reasons, but they also collaborate on many projects together. Having that unified tool that both departments work on has helped greatly with their work together, approvals, communication, and keeping up with tasks.

Room for Improvement

Some of the specific functions in the system can get a little quirky and could use some help with, but those are really for unique cases and not general system functionality. The mobile app or table use of Workfront could also be better (from a project manager's prospective using the Gantt Chart). The legacy gantt chart that was built in Flash and Java was great in terms of its usability but it wasn't sustainable with newer technologies. Worfront is still working on a better solution for the Gantt and in my opinion haven't developed an acceptable replacement for the legacy gantt so we continue to use it.

Use of Solution

Since 2009

We did not. Its been a long time since we first deployed it, and things have changed in terms of our process and set up if the program. When we've deployed the program out to other offices, not a start from scratch deployment, more like an extension of what is already in the system, everything went smooth and easy.

There occasionally is errors where you need to reload the browser, or what you did didn't get save but those are the types of errors that aren't easily replicated so they were more of exceptions then the rule. There really hasn't been any issue with stability.

We've successfully expanded the use of Workfront from one department to about 5. The biggest issue with scalability is the use of custom terms and statuses in the system. The permissions in the system are pretty good so if there are things that people shouldn't see, they won't see but when it comes to the custom statuses and terms, everyone sees those. We had to use workarounds and put the department's name in front of those custom areas, but it would be nice to be able to hide and show those based on permissions.

Excellent. We've always had good response time, and the representatives have been knowledgeable.

The support has been good. As an administrator, I feel that I know the system very well and I'll only use technical support when there is something that I can't figure out, which in some cases means that the tool just doesn't do want I want it to or what I think it should. That sometimes is frustrating but that is on me and not on the technical support.

MS Project and Excel. Nothing was enterprise for the department, people used what they wanted so we switched to get more uniform.

Straightforward, although the word of advice given to me and what I give to others is that what you go live with isn't necessarily what you'll have live up in a few months. Once you start using the system more and fully realize the capabilities of the system, how you've set things up will change.

Implementation Team

Vendor came in for a week with us and worked with us on requirements gathering and set up of the tool. It went well. Adoption was slow on our end so we could have used more work on that but the actual set up of the system was good.

ROI

We don't use the system for ROI tracking so unsure.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Only cost that I am aware of is the license per user cost.

Other Solutions Considered

Yes, we evaluated other solutions. Innotas, MS Project Server, Team Dynamix.

Other Advice

This is a great tool and can really help an organization. It is a solution to manage your process, not define your process. It is important that you develop your process and methods and then configure the system to use the system. You can use the system to help develop some of your processes, but you'll be better off doing the opposite.