xMatters IT Management Review

Reduced our response time from days or hours to minutes

What is our primary use case?

To notify our employees of system events that might result in an outage on our website.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our time to respond. Prior to the use of xMatters, it might take hours or even a day to get someone involved on a problem. Now, it's down to minutes.

What is most valuable?

Probably the most important one is that it persists in attempting to contact to someone until someone is engaged on the event.

Then, of course, there's the ability to define rotations and schedules for people who would be on call to handle those events.

What needs improvement?

The ability to support custom devices. We have a lot of users who use Slack, which is another tool for communication. xMatters currently does not support Slack as a communication method. It can't send events to Slack and respond to them.

Three to five years.

We're using their cloud-based service or hosted service. We've never had any problems.

We've never had any issues with scale. It's always met our needs.

I would give them an excellent rating. They've been extremely responsive and always work an issue until it's fully resolved.

We did not have a solution prior to xMatters.

We've always used their hosted service, so we've never had to set it up. The only thing we have to do is train our users on how to use it. It's been pretty easy to do so. They've actually made many improvements over the years to make it even easier to train people.

It is worth the cost.

You need to know the number of users that are going to use it, which is usually pretty easy to calculate. It's on a per-user license.

We evaluated two other solutions. One was an internal solution that was provided by our IT department, it was a proprietary solution. Then, we also evaluated xMatters vs PagerDuty. We chose xMatters because of its cost and ease of use.

What other advice do I have?

DevOps means that the person who's developing the software supports the software. When an event occurs that might result in an outage, xMatters engages people on that event so they can resolve it before there's an outage.

Certainly, it's been a very stable solution, very reliable, very flexible. It comes from a company that practices Agile development, so they're very fast to deliver new features, as well as any bug fixes, should any arise. I think the only challenges we've ever run up against is some compatibility with mobile devices and the providers they've had. Usually, that's the mobile device provider's problem, not xMatters'.

I would give it a nine out of 10, only because there are some devices that are not supported.