Qbi1s dk 400x400

Zeenyx AscentialTest Review
I can easily capture snapshots to create my app object library, but, at least for now, it requires a licensed install and familiarity with the tool to generate reports.

Valuable Features:

Zeenyx AscentialTest has a great number of features but the most valuable to me are the ease with which capturing snapshots to create my app object library is one of my favorites. Many of our larger groups use the built-in Subversion feature that allows us to check files in/out seamlessly. We execute our tests from different virtual machines so we use the TestSet feature that sends all results to a MySQL database (we are an Oracle shop and do not have licenses for Microsoft SQL). Finally, running tests to our virtual machines using the Host/Target feature significantly reduces our test execution time.

Update Dec. 2015:

The latest version of Zeenyx AscentialTest (7.8) has incorporated many GUI changes that makes the product much more user-friendly.

Improvements to My Organization:

Using the Host/Target feature has allowed our various teams to significantly reduce execution time by sending our tests to virtual machines.

Room for Improvement:

Zeenyx has been working on a feature for AscentialTest that will allow our non-automation people (business users, managers, etc.) access to a portal. This portal can be used by non-licensed users by hitting a URL to see the execution status for the testing effort. Currently, to access the testing reports, you must have a licensed install of AscentialTest and be familiar with the tool to generate reports.

Use of Solution:

3.5 years

Deployment Issues:

AscentialTest is a local install license. Since we use a great deal of virtual test machines, deploying the install to our machines can be time-consuming. You can install AscentialTest as a full install or as a runtime but the install is easy to execute.

Stability Issues:

Being an automation tool, it seems as though Zeenyx can be very processor intensive while it executes tests. I think that many of the issues we have are the fault of our own network setup but occasionally, our tests run slow. However, AscentialTest rarely has issues.

Scalability Issues:

We currently have groups with over 15 testers on the automation team that share a Zeenyx project. The product does have limitations on how certain project files are locked (checked-out). You may have to architect your project to allow for multiple files so that different users can checkout files. This is more of a limitation for version-control software.

I don't typically deal with any customer service issues related to Zeenyx AscentialTest. Any dealing I have with Zeenyx is done through their technical support group and they are more than happy to forward my question to the correct contact.

I have been working with different vendors in my role, I can say without hesitation that the Zeenyx Support Staff are the best group I've worked with. Typically, they have an answer to our question with 24 hours and most likely, the answer is within a couple hours. They go above and beyond with their support level.

Previous Solutions:

Before Zeenyx AscentialTest, our company was using an old version of SilkTest (that was out of maintenance). The main reason for the switch was that we wanted to have support but were unwilling to continue the maintenance with the previous software.

Initial Setup:

Since we were moving from a different software tool (SilkTest), the initial setup was easier since Zeenyx supports some SilkTests scripts (many functions were named differently). We also wanted to update our scripts (since they were old) immediately after converting to AscentialTest.

Implementation Team:

We implemented Zeenyx AscentialTest in-house and did not use a vendor team. This question does not apply to our company but I have to type 120 characters in this field so I am continuing to type words.

ROI:

I do not have insight into ROI. I can tell you that since we distribute our tests using the Host/Target model we saved a great deal of execution time after we switched from SilkTest. Since our execution time decreased substantially,

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Our company was an early adopter of AscentialTest. We have an Enterprise license so can install the software on as many machines as we want. If you are planning on using the Host/Target feature, I would recommend buying more Runtime licenses as they are a little cheaper.

Other Solutions Considered:

The decision to move to Zeenyx AscentialTest was done prior to my arriving at this company. I have been told there was no other evaluation done.

Other Advice:

I have been working with Zeenyx AscentialTest for almost 4 years and have a very good relationship with them. I will say that they are genuinely interested in improving their product. We have given them multiple ideas of new features and they have implemented several.

1 visitor found this review helpful

3 Comments

E9c3cbdb 6665 416c ab59 eae3524d2fe9 avatar

Yes App object repository creation is simple and robust with multiple options to identify it uniquely.

Migration of SilkTest Code to AscentialTest Code was achieved with quality.
We have done it successfully together for a massive project of around 2300 testcases.

Like (0)29 November 16
940f2c60 b500 476c 91d2 e793c6cd2e27 avatar
VarunKumarReal UserTOP 20

I am using this particular Ascential Test from last 8 months , I liked the pace of execution and its really light weight but biggest set back of this tool is that there is no debugging feature, you can not debug it for the same you have to use Print Statement or need to check log file.

Another thing is that this is not rich in language feature very limited classes they have provided, data structure only we have "list" but if you compare object oriented languages like C# where we have lot of features and it really ease to develop robust framework.

Like (0)07 February 17
E9c3cbdb 6665 416c ab59 eae3524d2fe9 avatar

Yes AscentialTest do not have a debugging feature but it has a simulator where one can test the stage at which the failure has occurred.

Agreed on limited classes but are effective with Record datatype.

Like (0)07 February 17
Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About Zeenyx AscentialTest?

Our experts can help. 227,901 professionals have used our research on 5,829 solutions.