Qbi1s dk 400x400

Zeenyx AscentialTest Review
You can build tests using drag and drop. AUT is not required.

Valuable Features:

Zeenyx AscentialTest has unique features that are unlike other automation tools. Being a QA professional, here is what I like about the product. Let me begin with its most valuable unique features. The Snapshot series feature enables testers not only to identify objects uniquely by specifying options (the path statement is strongly built), but also helps to build the tests using drag and drop. This means to build the test AUT is not required, which saves us a lot of time and helps in developing test faster.

The Add and Bind parameter feature allows testers not only to build reusable steps, but in creating inbuilt data and also helps to maintain user-defined records.

The TestSet feature is an interesting one that allows running different kinds of tests (sanity, smoke, regression, etc.) with a wide variety of include/exclude options (passed, failed, no run, blocked, automated tests, manual tests) to run in parallel (host-target model) with scheduler in place.

The SVN and JIRA features are integrated with the product, so one can perform all versioning actions (checkin, checkout, merge, etc.) and defect logging. This feature allows Jenkins execution with SVN, giving way for a continuous integration model.

Improvements to My Organization:

We are a service-based company in India working for the retail industry in the US. Before we moved to AscentialTest from Silk Test, a regression suite of a massive 2300 test cases - having different modules of an application consisting of 20 Silk Test projects - were executed on Silk Test classic agent through plans in batches. This project had a lot of APIs and some unrecognized custom windows, which made the test execution difficult with partial automation and manual testing. It used to take 10 execution days. We migrated all these test cases into single project in AscentialTest. With Zeenyx support on APIs, all custom windows were recognized. The test set and Host Target feature helped us achieve the execution of the suite in three days.

Room for Improvement:

An option for the test set and plan results to be mailed out would help the reports to be circulated to the concerned people in the testing line.

Use of Solution:

I have used it for two years.

Deployment Issues:

Deployment is straightforward; just an installer. Like regular software, follow the instructions to install. After that, the installation license has to be copied to the installation path of the license folder and then you are ready to use the product.

Stability Issues:

We are a large group of testers working with the SVN feature of the product. I did observe a couple of crashes during SVN merge, which wasn't reproducible in the beginning. It occurred once in a while. Finally, we could capture and reproduce it. We reported it and it was resolved in a day or two, and we were good to work on it later.

Scalability Issues:

We did execute a regression suite of 2300 test cases, with TestSet feature and Host Target model. We didn't notice any issues during our execution of the same. However, we did observe that aborting the test run of a test set in the middle of execution was taking a long time. This was reported and fixed immediately.

Customer service is excellent; very helpful in addressing the issues and never hesitant in accepting the issues from their end; very responsive and quick to provide assistance. Almost all of them were resolved within hours.

Technical support is also excellent; highly technical, understandable, helpful, thorough, great at follow up, always welcome feedback and ready to incorporate new features into the next version. I have never encountered such quick and responsive technical support as good as Zeenyx.

Previous Solutions:

Prior to AscentialTest, one of our team did regression testing of these 2300 test cases scripted in Silk Test classic agent. Some custom windows were unrecognized with lack of support on classic agent. It was cumbersome, as not all the tests were in good shape for execution. Most of the tests were partially executed by automation and partially by manual; very time consuming.

Initial Setup:

We were provided with clear instructions on the initial setup from our onsite coordinator. It was not only for AscentialTest, but also with associated software such as SVN, diff tool, database and so on. We had no hiccups during this process, as it was very clear and easy to follow.

Implementation Team:

We did all the implementation of the 2300 test cases; massive project with 50% of them medium and complex scenarios. I did the architecture for migrating the entire Silk Test code to AscentialTest. The conversion process for Silk Test code is quite simple and all of the methods are very well and equivalently supported in AscentialTest, although a few things need to be done separately in AscentialTest. The Zeenyx support team has been excellent in helping us throughout our migration. Because of this, we could provide our client with a good ROI on their investment with almost all tests running successfully. Regression execution time was significantly reduced.

To our surprise, most of my team members (90%), except myself and a few others, are all graduates from an engineering background, who did all the migration and maintenance of this project.

ROI:

We reduced the regression cycle from 10 days to three days, though it could be reduced further but we had dependency on configuration systems. It was a significant achievement from both the offshore and the onshore teams. Management really appreciated us and was happy.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

When I worked in this project in my previous organization, I had no idea about the cost and licensing as it was bought form the client end. I now have the knowledge on it, as we are a Zeenyx partner. It is profitable, compared to other automation tools, in the long run, with its unique features coming in an all-in-one perpetual package and also considering their support.

Other Solutions Considered:

I am not sure which solutions that were considered other than Silk Test support. I heard from my client that it was not feasible to continue with Silk Test classic agent support for their application changes.

Other Advice:

AscentialTest has evolved since I have used it. I have seen many changes in the panel views, search option made available in all the explorer views, grouping, image recognition, support on custom classes excellent. It is easy to learn and use for entry-level testers and building tests is easier. I highly recommend it for industries looking to transform manual/domain testers to automation testers.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a Zeenyx partner. We help organization on providing automation solutions. Expertise in Migration of SilkTest to AscentialTest. Vast expertise in AscentialTest.

1 Comment

E9c3cbdb 6665 416c ab59 eae3524d2fe9 avatar

AscentialTest product helps all organization looking to transform its Manual/Domain testers to automation testers with ease because of its drag and drop feature.

Like (4)14 November 16
Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About Zeenyx AscentialTest?

Our experts can help. 209,461 professionals have used our research on 5,561 solutions.