Zeenyx AscentialTest Review

Easy to create tests because you just drag and drop objects instead of writing code

What is our primary use case?

I’m constantly running into people struggling with automating their testing. Thanks to AscentialTest those days are long behind me. In 2015, after my company went through several failed attempts at automating one of the key applications at my company, my boss and I decided I would give it a try. We were somewhat invested in Selenium and I had past experience with QTP, but I hadn’t done any coding since 2003 and really didn’t want to script.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a major upgrade of the two key applications I automated. This will be the first time we have an automated regression to run.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to create tests because you just drag and drop objects instead of writing code.

What needs improvement?

It would be great if AscentialTest supported the license server being in the cloud.

Excellent.

Excellent!

My company had an outside vendor, as well as one of our employees, try to complete an automated solution using Selenium. A framework was created but the automation was never completed.

In 2015, after my company went through several failed attempts at automating one of the key applications at my company, my boss and I decided I would give it a try. We were somewhat invested in Selenium and I had past experience with QTP, but I hadn't done any coding since 2003 and really didn't want to script.

I decided to do a formal tool evaluation. I evaluated tools, services, and scripting languages. See the list below. Note AscentialTest is not on the list. We selected SmartBear's TestComplete.

Appvance

AutoMate

Fluent Lenium

HP Tools (QTP)

IBM Tools (Rational)

qTest eXplorer *** Not an automation tool. Captures manual test steps.

Pyramid Consulting *** Not an automation tool. Service vendor.

Ranorex

Reslet

Selenium

SmartScript

TestComplete

TestingAnywhere

TestQuest

ZAPTEST

TestComplete was very affordable and it was very easy to capture user workflows with TestComplete. But once I tried to capture and playback some of the unique aspects of our applications, was when I ran into problems. I spent 6 months working with technical support to resolve each hurdle. In the end, they agreed there were too many manual interventions (a.k.a. hacks). They said they had never seen anything like it.

Fast forward to the 2016 QUEST Conference and Expo. I stopped by the Zeenyx booth and met with Brian Le Suer. He gave me an overview and demo of AscentialTest. I was really impressed and excited about the tool and sorry I didn't know about the tool the year before. I started working with a trial version right after the conference.

It's been really easy to automate the same applications TestComplete struggled with. I have been able to automate two of our key applications in just a few months. I haven't even taken their training yet.

Customer Support has been amazing. I prefer to work with Brian who happens to be the CEO of the company. I didn’t realize that right away. When do you have access like that?

My boss is also happy with AscentialTest. I presented our automation using AscentialTest at the netFORUM Users Group Quarterly Meeting in 2017.

The initial setup was very easy and straightforward. I only had questions when switching from the trial to the licensed version.