Zeenyx AscentialTest Review

Enables us to automate two of our key applications in just a few months

I still meet people struggling with automating their testing. And thanks to AscentialTest those days are long behind me. The only thing I can't wait for is for Zeenyx to add automating Mobile apps.

In 2015, after my company went through several failed attempts at automating one of the key applications at my company, my boss and I decided I would give it a try.

We were somewhat invested in Selenium and I had past experience with QTP, but I hadn’t done any coding since 2003 and really didn’t want to script.

I decided to do a formal tool evaluation. I evaluated tools, services, and scripting languages. See the list below. Note AscentialTest is not on the list. We selected SmartBear’s TestComplete.

• Appvance
  • Automate
  • Fluent Lenium
  • HP Tools (QTP)
  • IBM Tools (Rational)
  • qTest eXplorer *** Not an automation tool. Captures manual test steps.
  • Pyramid Consulting *** Not an automation tool. Service vendor.
  • Ranorex
  • Restlet
  • Selenium
  • SmarteScript
  • TestComplete
  • TestingAnywhere
  • TestQuest
  • ZAPTEST

TestComplete was very affordable and it was very easy to capture user workflows with. But once I tried to capture and playback some of the unique aspects of our application was when I ran into problems. I spent 6 months working with technical support to resolve every hurdle. In the end they agreed there were too many manual interventions (a.k.a. hacks). They said they had never seen anything like it.

Fast forward to the 2016 QUEST Conference and Expo. I stopped by the Zeenyx booth and met with Brian Le Suer. He gave me an overview and demo of AscentialTest. I was really impressed and excited about the tool and sorry I didn’t know about the tool the year before. I started working with a trial version right after the conference.

It’s been really easy to automate the same application TestComplete struggled with. I have been able to automate two of our key applications in just a few months. I haven’t even taken their training.

Customer Support has been amazing. I prefer to work with Brian who happens to be the CEO of the company. I didn’t realize that right away. When do you have access like that?

My boss is also happy with AscentialTest. I presented our automation using AscentialTest at the netFORUM Users Group Quarterly Meeting in 2017.

9.3.0
More Zeenyx AscentialTest reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Zeenyx AscentialTest. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: March 2021.
475,705 professionals have used our research since 2012.