Zerto Review

​Replication from Hyper-V to ESX so that I can retire my old environment is nice. The ability to add hard disks to a VM and have Zerto just pick up those changes would be improvements.

Valuable Features:

• Replication from Hyper-V to ESX so I can retire my old environment
  • Failover from Site A to Site B

Improvements to My Organization:

Before this product, we had a lot of custom scripting and multiple other products to try and get to a similar place that Zerto allows without fully managing to. Zerto allows for a more granular replication ability and therefore a more flexible model than the per-socket licensed alternatives. It is positioned fantastically for pay as you grow which is just what we were after.

Room for Improvement:

• IP Addressing of failed over VM’s isn’t working properly.
  • Over time, it would be great to get more meat on the bones in the backups side of the product.
  • Ability to add hard disks to a VM and have Zerto just pick up those changes rather than perform a full re-mirror.

Deployment Issues:

There are many post migration activities associated with a Hyper-V to ESX migration – don’t presume this is a hands off activity as it very much isn’t at this time.  To make it hands off, there would be a ton of custom scripting required.

Stability Issues:

There have been no issues with the stability.

Scalability Issues:

It has not been an issue to scale it for our needs.

Other Advice:

The product has significant promise but it’s a long way from fully functional, there are fantastic features in the product and fantastic features promised “in the next release” too. Make sure you run through a good sizing exercise first.