Zerto Review

Some of the valuable features are journal, consistency groups, and resiliency

What is most valuable?

• Journal: ZVR uses a journal of history changes. Whenever you need to failover a VM or group of VMs, you have the ability to choose a Point in Time to which those replicas should be switched. For instance, if a disaster occurs at 10:05:00, you can failover with replicas to 10:04:55.
  • Consistency Groups: If you replicate groups of VMs, then during failover, all of the VMs in groups are failed over to the exact same point in time.
  • Resiliency: ZVR is resilient to Zerto infrastructure component restarts and loss of connection between sites which are automatically handled. The ZVR is very lightweight it doesn't use snapshots and has close to zero impact on production VMs and many others. It lets you get your files from Windows based VMs without failing over to replica VMs.

How has it helped my organization?

Before ZVR, we had many limitations in case of protecting production VMs during working hours. This primarily came from frequent VM snapshots impacting users. ZVR lets us protect our VMs without any impact upon users and greatly improved our RPOs from hours to seconds.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a couple of details regarding awareness of VM events coming outside of ZVR. This could be a user reverting VM back to an older snapshot, which can sometimes screw up the replica, but nothing major besides it is affected.

We have used this solution for over three years.

There were no issues with deployment.

There were no issues with stability.

ZVR can handle thousands of VMs, so there were issues with scalability here.

Support is very quick in their response time and most of issues are solved in a matter of hours.

We were using Veeam Replication which is based on snapshots. However, ZVR has no snaphosts, zero impact on production, and improves RPOs seamlessly.

The initial setup was very straightforward and can be done in less than one hour. You can then start replicating between two sites.

We did the implementation in-house.

Licensing is based on the number of VMs to replicate. The first thing should be to get the number of VMs to replicate based on your business needs.

Before ZVR, I evaluated Veeam Replication, vSphere Replication, and RecoverPoint for VMs.

What other advice do I have?

If you need to replicate your VMs with RPOs of seconds, then Zerto is certainly the way to go.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a business partner of Zerto.