Zyxel Unified Security Gateway Review

A robust appliance that is reasonably priced and straightforward to set up

What is our primary use case?

We use this product as a gateway for our users to access the internet.

What is most valuable?

This is a capable appliance and the standard features work well for us.

What needs improvement?

Although manageable, the user interface is a little bit slow and could be improved. There are two user interface options available, namely the basic and the advanced. The basic UI is not very good and doesn't have a lot of features, although it is fast. The advanced UI allows me to do whatever I want, but this is where the issue of speed exists.

At one of our sites, the CPU utilization was very high, and for no reason.

Technical support needs to be more responsive to requests.

We have been using the Zyxel Unified Security Gateway for at least five years.

This solution is pretty solid, other than the instance where we had experienced abnormally high CPU utilization.

We have not had to scale or expand, so I haven't put any thought into its scalability. As we add more offices, we will increase usage.

I do not have a lot of experience with technical support. On one occasion, I submitted a request about a problem that a user was having and I never received a response.

I have not used another similar solution.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. I can just use my configuration templates and apply them the way I want. The deployment takes less than a day.

We have two IT people who maintain our gateway.

This gateway is pretty cheap.

We did not compare other products before this one was chosen.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good solution, but anything can be improved. To summarize, I would say that it's not the greatest but it's pretty cheap, and it's got basic functions that we can use.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Zyxel, WatchGuard, Sophos and others in Unified Threat Management (UTM). Updated: June 2021.
513,091 professionals have used our research since 2012.