CA Endevor Software Change Manager Overview

CA Endevor Software Change Manager is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Software Configuration Management tools. It is most often compared to Compuware ISPW: CA Endevor Software Change Manager vs Compuware ISPW

What is CA Endevor Software Change Manager?
CA Endevor Software Change Manager (CA Endevor SCM) is the most widely used change management software for the mainframe environment. It can automate your entire development process, adapting to your specific business requirements and helping ensure consistency and complete control. Integration with IBM Rational Developer for System z can improve productivity, accelerate time-to-delivery and ensure the auditability of all programmer activities. Eclipse-ready, CA Endevor SCM helps shorten the learning curve for application developers. It provides your team with business-driven, customizable lifecycle paths and automated version control to protect your software assets and help maintain application integrity.

CA Endevor Software Change Manager is also known as Endevor Software Change Manager, CA Software Change Manager for Mainframe, CA Endevor SCM.

Download the Software Configuration Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

CA Endevor Software Change Manager Customers
Blue Hill Data Services Inc.
CA Endevor Software Change Manager Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

CA Endevor Administrator at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Enables us to know the exact source code associated with a given executable

What is our primary use case?

Software configuration management.

• "It puts all our source in one product. We know where to go to gather all our source code and which source is associated with which executable. It's a one-stop-shop, one place to go for everything."
  • "The developers can very easily see what has changed on a particular piece of source code or a program, and others can look at that as well so they can coordinate their changes. It makes it much easier to promote a piece of code up to production."
  • "One feature of Endevor is its Backout feature. If there is a problem, it can back out the executables. The only problem with that is that it will not back out the source in Endevor. For example, you can do a back out and it will back out the executable to the previous version, but it doesn't back out the source version in Endevor. It would make it much better if when you did a back out of Endevor, it would back out both the source and the executable and keep them in sync."

What other advice do I have?

Keep it as simple as possible. When you're implementing the product, any errors you make are only magnified as you go further down the line and keep on adding more and more applications to Endevor. My main advice would be, don't overthink the implementation. Try to make the implementation as simple and straightforward as possible and then build on that. I've been using Endevor for many years, in many different shops, in many different situations. I've found Computer Associates to be very supportive. Their tech support is excellent. They constantly improve the product, which is great. They…
Manager, Enterprise Release Management at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
​It helps us control what changes we are putting into production

What is our primary use case?

We use it to move our mainframe code through development to production. From a release perspective, my team oversees it, and we help manage that.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely take a look at it. You can look at the other tools that are out there, but I do not think you are going to find anything better. Also CA's reputation, they back their product 100%. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: The fact that they are there when I need them. CA is definitely that.
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Micro Focus, Compuware and others in Software Configuration Management. Updated: May 2021.
501,499 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Information Technology and Services Consultant and Contractor at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Consistent, repeatable processes, automation we built, take away most human error

What is our primary use case?

Application software management for multi-client applications. As an outsourcer, in some cases software is maintained in-house, then distributed to clients.

• "We have been able to replicate entire SDLCs for new clients and have them loaded and ready to use Endevor in as little as one week. This was possible with the use of Endevor variables within the processors, so that a single processor was able to function for multiple systems across the entire SDLC."
  • "The approach of writing a single set of Endevor processors to work across multiple instances of the application (separate systems) made the processors fairly complex, but once you understand them, they are so powerful."
  • "Needs more audit capability when it comes to changes to settings that are made by administrators, as many of these are done through the panels and are therefore not logged as an action against a configuration item."

What other advice do I have?

My original entry to Endevor was the realization of the need for proper application software management. At that time there was the need for software management due to the up and coming Y2K issues. Beyond that, anyone who knew anything about application code knew that software management was high on the requirements list. It’s a great product, but take the time to define what you need from it before you start doing anything. I recall there was a five-day planning and design that CA would assist with. That is a valuable time for gaining CA staff insights on best practices, and helping you "get…
Senior SCM engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Enables us to automate all our development implementations, saving us a lot of time

What is our primary use case?

We use it to control the source code versioning, implementation, generation, automation; pretty much anything that is source code on the mainframe. We manage COBOL assembler, we manage pretty much any mainframe language there is.

• "Our automation, our development implementations are all automated, which is a huge amount of time savings."
  • "In the last year or so, we had a need to start using a CICS web services, and mesh them in with some distributed functions on an enterprise service bus. We put the web services into Endevor and we manage that way now."
  • "They've got plug-ins now to run it through Eclipse, they've got a lot of APIs, they handle UNIX files. I can't really think of any serious lack that they haven't addressed."

What other advice do I have?

I would say if you want a mainframe - any kind of mainframe - solution, or for software control management go for it. CA has good products. They're an industry standard in a lot of ways.
    Software Configuration Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Versioning and code change tracking are key for us in managing production changes

What is our primary use case?

Software changes and release management.

• "It's very flexible. A new technology comes along, this can be multiplied to handle the new technology quite easily."
    • "Interfacing with some change control products that are not CA's, it's a little glitchy on the approvals of changes. It requires special needs for the users for approvals."

What other advice do I have?

I think it's a good tool. There are similar products out there that you might want to get now with a GUI interface. Right now, this product is mostly green screen - we use the mainframe product - so I think it would be advantageous for other companies to use a GUI product.
    Mainframe System Administrator II at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Improves the security of the data in our production libraries

What is our primary use case?

We use it to update our production libraries. We pull in the production version, Endevor creates the test version, we make our changes in the test version, and then we promote it out with Endevor to production.

• "There are a lot of screens in it. The process for moving out my other solutions, it could be more convenient. There are a lot of steps to go through and a lot of screens to go through to get it accomplished."

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor the most important criteria are * customer service * ease of installation * good documentation * usability * scalability. And CA covers that, as far as I'm concerned. I never give it a 10 out of 10, because there's always room for improvement. I'd go with an eight. It works, and does its job, and I've never heard any complaints for improvements in this product. I don't know the competition, I don't know if there's anything better, but Endevor is a solid product. It is stable.
      Senior Manager at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
      The software audit-level tracking means I can see what was changed, what was moved

What is our primary use case?

We use it to migrate our software from the different environments of development and QA, and then QA to production. It performs pretty well. I like it.

• "It's the audit-level tracking. If something has gone wrong I can go back and figure out what happened, who did it."

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria in selecting a vendor are * stability of the product * the company. We like to hear from other customers that have used it. What were your experiences with it? The software, the vendor not being responsive. I would rate it a solid eight out of 10, because it is stable, it serves the need that we have now. However, I don't know if it's serving where we are going with the Agile. It seems to be a solid company, they're good and responsive. It's just a matter of making sure you know where all your software resides today, to get it all there.
        Technical Senior Support Specialist at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
        It standardizes the processing of all development. Everything gets produced in a constant and consistent manner.

What is our primary use case?

I use it on a daily basis as an administrator. It performs fairly well and has for 20-plus years.

• "It standardizes the processing of all the development. Everything gets produced in a constant and consistent manner."
        • "Having something that is out-of-the-box that you can customize to suit your organization's needs is huge."
        • "The flexibility, because I know a lot of the competition pigeonholes you into definitions and character limitations, and Endevor is wide open."
        • "They need to ditch the Eclipse plugin and just make the development environment for Z the standard Eclipse interface.​"
        • "It is still kind of behind the times. It needs to catch up with all the millennials that want a distributed look and feel.​"

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: From my company's point of view, cost because it is only installed on the Windows part for Sysplex, and they are too cheap to pay for the multi-LPAR license.
        Automation Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
        Learning the tool is extremely difficult, there are a lot of restrictions, but the ability to compare versions is helpful

What is our primary use case?

Source control management. It performs well.

• "Being able to compare versions is helpful."
        • "Learning the tool for the first time was extremely difficult, and it could be because of all the other processes we had around it. But knowing you can do these things in batch, you can do things in the foreground or online mode, and then these, you have to have a package for. There are these rules, and some of the concepts inside the tool are not clear, like what is the CCID? Why do I have to have one? What is that? And how is it used? As a developer, it's not important to me - I don't know what a CCID is, and I don't care - but apparently it's important to someone."

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor are * that the tool meet your needs * that it have the features and functions that you're looking for. CA Endevor is better than not having any source control management, some kind of source control tools.
        Software Administrator at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
        We have used it for years and never had any real issues with it

What is our primary use case?

We use it to track changes to our schedules. It performs great.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us more streamlined processes from test to development to QA to production. So, the product streamlines processes.

What is most valuable?

The usability of it. It is pretty user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

Probably more of a web-based option for it, because it is mostly mainframe. We are looking for more web solutions to expand our users that are not mainframe savvy.

It is very stable. Since it is on the mainframe, the mainframe is a very stable product, so it never interacts with it.

It is very scalable.

How is

Sr. Analyst/Technology Infrastructure at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Leaderboard

What is our primary use case?

It has performed very well. We use it for our CSS mainframe development.

• "​It was an easy install. Since it was all set up, it pretty much runs itself now."
        • "​Stability has been really good. I have actually never had to open an issue or report an issue since I have been running it.​"

What other advice do I have?

My understanding is that Endever is one of the better software exchange management systems out there. I don't think people should really look at anything else. It does exactly what we need it to do. It has worked well for us because we've had it now for about five years.
          Infrastructure Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees

What is our primary use case?

It is a tool the mainframe programmers use to do their work. If they need to make a change to a program, they go into Endevor and they check out a copy of the program. Then, they make their changes and check it back into Endeavor, and it gets built or compiled into whatever the language is. When they want to move a copy of it to QA for testing, they use Endevor to do that. Also, when it is time to go into production, they use Endevor to do that. The programmers do all their work through Endevor, and it is their bridge between development and production.

• "It can be very flexible, as far as how you use it. You can make it do nearly anything, but in really clever ways. It is very versatile."
          • "Any question that an auditor has about our processes and approvals is all stored in Endevor."
          • "We backup people's source code for them."
          • "Sometimes finding errors and output can be difficult because it spits out so many messages that it is hard to figure out which ones are the ones you need to look at and what flow did it actually take through the processor."
          Senior Software Engineer
          We can make it do pretty much whatever we want, depending on just how complicated we want it to be, as it is pretty flexible

What is our primary use case?

Source code management. It works well.

How has it helped my organization?

I do not think our organization could go without it.

What is most valuable?

Source code management.

More than five years.

It is very stable. We had issues early on (twenty-something years ago), but not now.

We can make it do pretty much whatever we want, depending on just how complicated we want it to be. It will do a lot of things if we tell it to. It is not built that way. It has to be told. It is pretty flexible.

Technical support is always good, and they are getting…
          Mainframe Release Systems Engineer at Jack Henry & Associates
          You can constantly use it and you can keep building as long as you have the space for it

What is our primary use case?

We use it for source code management. We use it to basically keep our applications that we use day-to-day, month-to-month, and week-to-week, all up-to-date. We use it to move it through those areas and manage it for auditing purposes, like dev, QA, production, etc. Our developers use it to build code in those different stages and move it forward.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the product. It is very easy to use. It is great as far as what it does. Once you have learned it and figured it out, it is right there as one of the best products you can get.
          Sr. Systems Engineers at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
          Streamlines automatic building from source code to executable, and effectively migrates executables through the software lifecycle

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case would be that our application developers use Endevor for managing their mainframe software. They take their source code and they add it in to Endevor, and Endevor translates that source code into an output executable, and then from there it would get deployed to the various development areas, QA areas, and then finally to production.

What other advice do I have?

When our company is selecting a vendor, the criteria include * the actual software itself - to make sure that the software meets the requirements * that the vendor is solid as far as the way they deliver on their support * that they have the appropriate service level agreements for support, and emergency types of procedures in place. I have to give Endevor a 10 out of 10. The reason why really goes back to all the things I've talked about so far. It's just really robust, it can handle pretty much anything. A requirement we get from our customers internally, we're able to take that and…
          Senior Manager Quality Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
          Does a good job of managing my daily operations without downtime

What is our primary use case?

We use it for version control in the mainframe area. It's been great. To be honest, we use GitHub for enterprise for the distributed world, and we use SCM for the mainframe world. So far, I've looked around as well. I've not seen a computer that's close to Endevor in terms of performance, scalability and capability.

What other advice do I have?

I give it an eight out of 10, and the reason I am cutting the two points is that I want it to be a little more lightweight in terms of continuous delivery. If you're looking for a version control system for mainframe, I don't think you should even have a second thought of not trying at least trying out Endevor. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. At the same time, it has all the capabilities that are required to take your company into the continuous delivery ecosystem. That's why I think you should definitely give it a shot.
          Team Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          We use it to manage our source and ensuring nobody puts anything in the production that does not belong

What is our primary use case?

We use it to manage our source, make sure everything is clean, and nobody puts anything in the production that does not belong.

What is most valuable?

Flexibility.

How has it helped my organization?

It performs fine. We have not had any real glitches for the product.

What needs improvement?

It is already there. We have not really implemented it. We just have to get it to Managed API source.

It is stable. We do not have any issues with it. It is just complex because it is a tool set. It is not a plug and play kind of product at all.

No issues with it. It covers our base; no problem.

How is customer service and technical

Sr. Information Security Architect MF at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Allows us to map a change made to the production environment through various stages of delivery

What is our primary use case?

I set up the security configurations for Endevor as well as everything in the mainframe. I am the security architect, so I determine what has to be done in order to secure the product going into production.

What is most valuable?

Endevor allows us to map a change made to the production environment through various stages of delivery.

What needs improvement?

More of the following: Web-based deliveries Web-enabled configuration Dashboards Therefore, we can report on our delivery quicker to management.

The product is very stable. It has been around for a long time. It all depends on how you to deploy it. If they deploy it correctly, then it provides a tremendous benefit. But if you lay it out…
          Infrastructure Manager at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
          We’re able to control the gold copy and we’re able to maintain versions, historical record, and control access.

What other advice do I have?

This is my only experience with mainframe software configuration management. There isn’t much competition in this space anyway. Think about how it manages security of the assets and its governance properties.
          TSC Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
          Time-submitted packages allow for silent, off-hours installs into production.

What other advice do I have?

I think it's the best SCM I've used and would definitely recommend it.
          Component Management at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Defines test, pre-production and production environments. There is no concept of application and version management of these applications.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good choice, but it requires a good level of knowledge to implement. Call on experienced people to implement it.
          IT Manager at Experian
          Video Review
          It has what that you need for auditors: who asked for the change, when the change moved up, all the different stages, and where the approvals are.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you involve the technical people from CA on your design. When you bring your tools in, make sure you tell them what you're trying to solve, so they can help you design it correctly the first time, because once you get it in, it's difficult to change the way your design is without disrupting your business. I haven't seen a perfect product, mostly because the products are usually very good in mainframe or distributed. I haven't seen a product that's really good in both. If it were good in both the mainframe and distributed source code, I would give it a perfect rating.
          CA-7 Administrator at The Home Depot
          It controls the migration of JCL and PARMs. The security component enables you to lock down source code.

What other advice do I have?

Give CA and their products a try.
          Lead Infrastructure Engineer at Thrivent financial
          The application lifecycles allow developers to do their own work at lower stages.

What other advice do I have?

It's not a perfect solution. I never rate anything perfect.
          Endevor Administrator at SunTrust Investment Services, Inc.
          A secure tool that does not lose elements.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, check the quality of the tools, the stability, and most importantly, the customer response to issues. Our short list was CA and IBM. IBM couldn't do what we wanted them to do, even though they told us that they could. So CA won hands down. I've been in this world for quite a few years and I haven't seen anything that's even close to doing what Endevor does. Give me a call. I seriously recommend that you consider this solution. Talk to the techs at CA. Ask the CA reps to contact you. They can really give you solid advice.
          Senior Engineer at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
          During the development lifecycle, our software is available and reliable.

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework. Talk to customers. Don't just rely on market research. Find what other people's experiences have been. It's very valuable.
          Mainframe Performance Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Full auditability, customization, and scalability.

What other advice do I have?

You need a team of people to support this product. It's not a buy and forget product. You need a team of experienced personnel to support it and they'll gain that experience over time. It's not something you can just go out and buy and implement and have all of the functions and all of the features given to you straight away. You need the professionals behind it to actually do this.
          Configuration Management Analyst at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Provides good visibility of code changes, and change history. It provides good security options as well.

What other advice do I have?

Our company uses ROSCOE for it's primary development. Although ROSCOE and Endevor are owned by the same company, the ROSCOE interface for Endevor is many years out of date.
          Lead Analyst at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          It allows us to see all code modifications and provides a smooth transition into production.

What other advice do I have?

Do not bring the current process into Endevor. Consider moving forward using standard methodology, and make the move to Endevor a priority project. It’s a very nice product and runs without errors.
          Configuration Manager at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          You can use Quick Edit to change a single object, save it and have it kick off the build in a development stage.

What other advice do I have?

Work with CA, a third party or CA consultancy to do a proof-of-concept; not just the demo out of the can, but actually take an application or some part of an application, do a POC, and then get it on your machine. Even if you have to pay for it, it would be worth it, because that's going to set a foundation for you to be successful with the initial implementation. One thing, when working with the consulting company, they're going to have a better view of your configurations, your systems, and your environment. Work with them, and that will make you successful in the long run. I have not given…
          Process Specialist II at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
          Our processes are streamlined in that we only have to create a single package and all of the information is there for audit.
          Software Engineer at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
          Self-installation z/OS workflow is helpful.

What other advice do I have?

You need to think why you want to use an application configuration management system and if it matches with your development objectives.
          Sr Communications Analyst at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
          Video Review
          It’s enabled us to find a way to make sure the code stays in one area and to make it secure.

What other advice do I have?

I’d probably give it a ten because I’ve used it for fifteen years. I love it. The developers now love it, so it’s all good. I highly recommend for current users to keep it and keep going forward with it because it is very useful, the user group is great. You can get lots of help from everybody out there.
          Sr. Systems Engineers at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
          Video Review
          It's used for managing source code and executables. It's standardized the build process for us.

What other advice do I have?

I think what we look at, first of all, just to make sure that technically the product is doing what we want it to do from a paper perspective, the documentation, and then I think being able to engage the vendor, talking through the product in real detail about some real specific cases that we have at our company, and making sure that the vendor could respond to those, and we feel comfortable that they'd be able satisfy our requirements. Going back to when we first brought Endevor, Endevor was really the only one at that time, it was the first PLC that we did. Obviously, we brought Endevor in…
          President, Senior SEM Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
          It increases productivity as it maintains version control for development in case developers want to regress or go back to a prior version.

What other advice do I have?

The one best piece of advice I can give is to make sure the person installing the software is qualified for the tool, so check their qualifications. There’s a lot of people who say they can do things, but they can’t. Make sure you get a list of clients. When asked for a recommendation, I always say Endevor.
          Download our free Software Configuration Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Micro Focus, Compuware, and more!
          Quick Links