Cisco Enterprise Routers OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cisco Enterprise Routers is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Routers. It is most often compared to MikroTik Routers and Switches: Cisco Enterprise Routers vs MikroTik Routers and Switches

What is Cisco Enterprise Routers?
The high-performance Cisco Enterprise Routers are the market leader due to their breadth of advanced support for LAN/WAN services, redundancy, reliability, and performance.
Cisco Enterprise Routers Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco Enterprise Routers Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Cisco Enterprise Routers Customers
Aegean Motorway, Boingo, Chartwell School, Children's Hospital of Orange County , Department of Justice, Explorer Pipeline, Linz AG, National Rugby League, New South Wales Rural Fire Service, Telecom Italia, Transwestern
Cisco Enterprise Routers Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco Enterprise Routers pricing:
  • "Cisco is way too expensive for small and medium businesses. They must lower their prices in the lower range equipment."
  • "The product is very expensive and does not provide the expected performance for the cost."
  • "Cisco routers are an expensive product."
  • "Cisco is mid-tier in terms of pricing and quite affordable by most enterprises."

SB
Principal Engineer IoT Network Architecture at Vodafone Idea Limited
Simple command line interface, intuitive design, but orchestration could improve

What is our primary use case?

We have been using Cisco Enterprise Routers for building micro-networks and internet networks for main VPN services, high-speed internet access, and extending the network of customers.

• "I have found the most valuable feature of Cisco Enterprise Routers to be the simplicity of the command-line interface, it is very intuitive as to how the commands need to be configured for a specific use case."
  • "Over time things have changed where Cisco has not invested in improving the orchestration and simplifying it for people who do not want to get into the details. Cisco has not gone into that focus."

What other advice do I have?

It is important for smaller companies to focus on understanding how deployments are done. The learning should be done from the perspective of deployment operations because whether you are an enterprise or a service provider you are buying these routers and offering a service to the internal or external customers as a service provider. You need to understand how these platforms and overall solutions help you to build a network faster and which part of it reduces the cost. Many of the smaller companies do not understand the operational expenses well enough, they will end up doing all kinds of Ad…
PS
IT Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
An expensive solution that does not live up to expectations for performance

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is for Internet access and firewall.

• "The product can help teach valuable life lessons about what not to do when building a network."
  • "Many things about this solution are problematic including setup, configuration, performance, upgrades and support."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others considering this solution would be not to do what we did. Don't go with the all-in-one solution. Buy a basic product that Cisco certifies is more than capable of routing the traffic that you expect on the network, then get a decent firewall behind the router to really take care of security, content filtering, ACL and all the rest that a firewall does. It could be a bit expensive, of course, because you're buying two products instead of one. But what you can get out of it is much more than we get now from this Cisco solution. It's not by any chance that when ISPs all over…
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Enterprise Routers. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
533,638 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DM
Sr. Network Engineer at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Easy to set up, reliable, and has pretty good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the router. It could be H branches router, the MPLS router. or the border gateways router.

• "They are the best in failover switches. Their product line is excellent."
  • "Depending on the customer, the initial setup could be complex."

What other advice do I have?

We're a Cisco partner. We use the service cloud routers as well. In terms of versions, the company has recently changed from IOS to XE. We're using the latest version of the solution. We're deployed both on-premises and on private clouds. We deploy this for our clients, and therefore the deployment model depends on their requirements. I'd recommend the solution. If a company decides to go with a Cisco router, they are making a wise decision. In general, I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.
Farzin Oramipour
CEO at Atin Secure Systems
Great CLI and OS with fantastic stability

What is our primary use case?

I'm a Cisco specialist, and I implement Cisco devices, not always just for myself. We consult, implement, and design Cisco devices for our customers according to their needs and requirements. Just for the record, I am the CEO of my company: Atin Secure Systems ltd.

• "The solution is easily scalable."
  • "Due to the sanctions on our country, we can't get outside help directly from Cisco. We need to handle the implementation ourselves."

What other advice do I have?

You can't compare Cisco to any other gadget or any other solution. They're the best in the market, hands down. I have no choice other than giving them full marks of ten out of ten. I'd recommend Cisco to everyone.
GA
Deputy Director at a sports company with 201-500 employees
A reliable product that does not require any major changes

What is our primary use case?

We perform immigration checks in Pakistan. We have around 26 distributed check posts across Pakistan. We need network links to collect the data, implement the stop list, and other immigration-related data.

• "In itself, Cisco is a reliable product and does not require any major change."
  • "Cisco routers are an expensive product."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate cisco 9 out of 10. Cisco is the network equipment leader. It introduces new features; it's the trend maker. The trade-off is cost. Cisco is highly recommended, subject to the availability of funds. It's all about the resources you have and how much you want to invest. We are the customer. However, we are also studying Fortinet and its comparisons and things like those to finalize the procurement process.
EK
Head of IT Department at Silver Springs Hotel
An extremely stable and reliable device that performs well

• "The solution is very stable. I have not seen any downtime due to the product freezing or anything like that. It performs well and hasn't required reboots unless it's to troubleshoot with a support service provider needing configuration. It doesn't overheat and it's on 24/7."
  • "If I only have one LAN port in which I want to connect more than one device, I have to buy an add-on card so that I can have two LAN ports. The smaller devices and low-end routers have about four LAN ports. This solution is a high-end device but has only one. It would be preferable if they offered more LAN ports."

What other advice do I have?

We operate a hotel and we have clients who are logging into the WiFi all the time. We need to give them good connectivity. Sometimes we get as many as 500 connections and we know that with Cisco unless the service provider lets us down, the device won't fail. It's a very good product. I'd recommend the solution. I'd rate it ten out of ten.
Simbarashe Mazorodze
Solutions Architect at Terrific Tech
A stable solution with good technical support for interconnecting our branch offices

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for interconnecting our branch offices. We have six branches in addition to our head office. All of our routers are on-premises deployments.

• "Cisco has one of the best products in terms of routing because of the protocols in which they provide."
  • "In terms of room for improvement, I think that there is a need for additional administration."

What other advice do I have?

Mostly, this is a very good product. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
IB
Head of Cisco Department at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Good security, throughput, stability, and technical support

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for some of our customers is to build their network. Others want to upgrade their networks because they have expanded their office or have new offices or new buildings.

• "The most valuable features are security and throughput."
  • "This solution is scalable but it does need some improvements."

What other advice do I have?

Buy official equipment and services from Cisco and you will have fully qualified technical support. There are no limitations, you should go forward with the solution. There is always something new being developed and it is always growing. This is a company that is very innovative. I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
See 38 more Cisco Enterprise Routers Reviews