Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine) Overview

Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine) is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Network Access Control tools. It is most often compared to Aruba ClearPass: Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine) vs Aruba ClearPass

What is Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine)?
Identity Services Engine is a security policy management platform that automates and enforces context-aware security access to network resources. It delivers superior user and device visibility to support enterprise mobility experiences and to control access. It shares data with integrated partner solutions to accelerate their capabilities to identify, mitigate, and remediate threats.

Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine) is also known as Cisco ISE.

Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine) Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine) Customers
Aegean Motorway, BC Hydro, Beachbody, Bucks County Intermediate Unit , Cisco IT, Derby City Council, Global Banking Customer, Gobierno de Castilla-La Mancha, Houston Methodist, Linz AG, London Hydro, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Molina Healthcare, MST Systems, New South Wales Rural Fire Service, Reykjavik University, Wildau University
Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine) Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine) pricing:
  • "For the Avast virus scan, we pay around USD $95 per machine for five years which includes all updates and technical support."
  • "If you go directly with Cisco for the implementation it's very, very expensive."
  • "The SMARTnet technical support is available at an additional cost."

Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine) Reviews

Shawn Connors
Infrastructure and Cybersecurity Manager at George Washington's Mount Vernon
Jul 29, 2020
We've experienced first-hand the reliable protection provided against malware and ransomware

What is our primary use case?

We have two servers and they're both VMs. Every network system is issued a certificate and each device coming onto the network has to be on the domain with an active AD user logging into it. It needs an up-to-date AMP, which is our Cisco malware and virus scan product and it also needs to have the most current Microsoft security updates and the three layers that we're using: The core VPN, the Network Access Manager and the ISE profiler. When it goes through all those different things on every port on the switch, there are commands for it to be able to go through an ACL so it knows what users… more »

• "The solution cuts down on the repercussions of getting malware or ransomware."
  • "The solution can lag somewhat as we have a large database."

What other advice do I have?

The important thing is to have a good game plan going into it. Prep is key for everything going on with ISE. The more stuff you have prepped and the more understanding that you have upfront of how it goes through and how it behaves, the better off you are. I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.
Joe Feghaly
User
Jan 30, 2019
All devices have multifactor authentication in collaboration with IT which secures access to all our devices

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this solution is for access control for authentication and for the authorization of wireless users.

• "For device administration, all devices have multifactor authentication in collaboration with IT, so it secures access to all of our devices. For guest and wireless access, it's a matter of a lowly manager who we give access to the portal and he can assign access to the guests, so it's a very simple process now. It keeps the IT focusing on their work, and gives the business people the right access."
  • "The compliance and posture don't always work. They should make it more stable. With each upgrade, we lose some functionality. We have to wait for another upgrade."

What other advice do I have?

It's a great product but you should be careful to plan before deploying. Do thorough planning as not to do the same error that we did. We didn't do enough planning before deploying so it took us a long time to have a thorough plan. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
455,108 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1394754
Cyber Security at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Aug 11, 2020
Easy to use with good stability and an excellent guest WiFi feature

• "The user experience of the solution is great. It's a very transparent system."
  • "I'm working from China currently and the only real issue is that, within the country, there's some concern around Cisco and its ability to offer the solution for the long term. As the United States has banned the Huawei version in their country, we feel there may be retaliation in ours and Cisco will get banned as a countermeasure from the government. The future of Cisco in China is in question. Our local partners are worried about the situation."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We're in the manufacturing industry, not IT. We don't have a business relationship with IBM. We try to keep up with the latest upgrades, therefore, I believe we are using the latest version of the solution. From a non-technical user-based standpoint, I'd rate the solution ten out of ten. I'd recommend it, however, there is this ongoing concern in China at this time that Cisco could get banned in the ongoing trade war with the United States. That should be a concern for companies here. That may not be so much of a concern abroad.
SaifKhan
Security Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 201-500 employees
Feb 10, 2019
Good stability and enables us to identify and isolate a machine that is infected or that is going to be infected

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to authenticate the domain users and if someone is not the domain user to make them a guest.

• "The initial setup was easy. It took around one month. We did the installation part within half an hour to two hours but we found a couple of issues so we raised a case and once everything was resolved it was a month in total."
  • "Since we have started, we struggled a lot to implement this solution into our network, and we opened a case a couple of times. Up until this point, nothing else needs to be improved with this product."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten. I would advise someone considering this solution not to enable it with MAC. They are going to be in a very bad state after enabling this with MAC because if you do it is going to isolate so many devices which do not comply with the policy.
Alfred Polela
OPCO IT Manager at MTN
Feb 18, 2019
Enables us to protect our network but it should be more user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to protect the network especially when someone brings their own device and to lock out access to anybody connecting to the network. Also to make sure that the people connect to the correct VLAN. So, mainly for security wifi access so that when people want to connect to our wifi they have to log in using their credentials.

• "For guests we give them limited access to the internet when they come in so that access has been useful. Previously, we just used to give them the APN key which they would leave with. Now, we give them credentials to use that are for a limited period of time."
  • "In order to make it a ten, it should be more user-friendly. You need somebody who is knowledgeable about it to use it. It's not easy to use. We have to rely heavily on technical support."

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product but it requires technical support and knowledge otherwise it will be difficult to manage and run it. It requires somebody to be configuring issues. You need protection as you advance in the usage but it's a good product. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten. In order to make it a ten, it should be more user-friendly. You need somebody who is knowledgeable about it to use it. It's not easy to use. We have to rely heavily on technical support.
Max Ayoti
Supervisor IT Security at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jul 1, 2019
Easy to use and has good support but is complex to set up

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for network admission control.

• "Easy to use and provides good support"
  • "An area that could be improved is the agent. The challenge now is that agent and most of the computers have changed. They could think about agent-less deployment."

What other advice do I have?

The deployment strategy was faster than the pilot. We had to see how it works and then we had to, in a transparent manner, see how it works. Deployment took about six months. But the rollout is on-going because we keep opening branches all the time, so we just keep adding them into the solution. For deployment, we used the front liner support but for documentation, we had professional staff. For deployment and maintenance, we have a small team of maybe about five to ten. I would give the solution 5.5 out of 10.
reviewer1186656
Corporate Information Technology Security Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Jun 27, 2020
Integrates well with other Cisco products, but they need to provide better network visibility and also release an agentless version

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco ISE for 802.1 network authentication.

• "The features that do work, work well, and we use it on a daily basis."
  • "The interface is not very user-friendly and it is not simple to use."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Cisco ISE is to first run a proof of concept to see that all of the features work well. In my opinion, you have to see all of the features. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Netw0997
Network Administrator at a government with 51-200 employees
Feb 14, 2019
Has many valuable features but it needs more support for the customer

What is our primary use case?

It's a network access manager.

• "After the product was installed, no one could access the secure connection network. In order for any laptop or any endpoint device to attach to my network, it needs to be authorized or be certified to be connected."
  • "I would rate this solution a 7.5 out of ten. To make it a ten they should have more people on tech support. They need to invest more in the product. It's a good product. They should just work on tech support. More support for the customer. It's not that easy to get somebody to understand this product. I have had some issues with tech before for the solution. One of them brought the solution down due to some of his activity. They need to hugely invest in their tech support."

See 15 more Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine) Reviews
Product Categories
Network Access Control
Download our free Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine) Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.