Citrix Web App and API Protection Overview

Citrix Web App and API Protection is the #11 ranked solution in our list of top Web Application Firewalls. It is most often compared to Microsoft Azure Application Gateway: Citrix Web App and API Protection vs Microsoft Azure Application Gateway

What is Citrix Web App and API Protection?

Citrix Web App Firewall is a web application firewall (WAF) that protects web applications and sites from both known and unknown attacks, including application-layer and zero-day threats. Despite an ever-evolving threat landscape, Citrix Web App Firewall delivers comprehensive protection without degrading throughput or application response times. Available as a cloud solution or integrated within the Citrix ADC platform, simplified configuration controls further mitigate risk. Our pooled licensing options allow you to grow incrementally and scale on demand.

Citrix Web App and API Protection is also known as Citrix NetScaler AppFirewall , Citrix Web App Firewall.

Citrix Web App and API Protection Buyer's Guide

Download the Citrix Web App and API Protection Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Citrix Web App and API Protection Customers

NSS Labs, ICSA Labs

Citrix Web App and API Protection Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Citrix Web App and API Protection pricing:
  • "We have all the features and functions of Citrix because we have a premium license."
  • "For partners, NetScaler is not as expensive price-wise versus F5."

Citrix Web App and API Protection Reviews

Appwall677
Digital Transformation Division Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Jul 14, 2019
Runs behind the scenes, in the background and keeps everything running smoothly

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to provide security and ensure the viability of our services.

• "The web application firewall which protects our services on the internet, and then of course services like our ability to provide high availability for the services we are offering are the most valuable features."
  • "The user interface could be more friendly. Some wizards and other documentation for administrators, as well as some use cases, helps us to understand the solution."

What other advice do I have?

It's always a really good idea to do a POC. There are companies that are not convinced as to why should they should use something, but a POC is a good way to show why. The quality of the service is higher, simply, and that's what you need. So that's why we are using the solution. Also, there are lots of securities that integrate with the solution, so it's good. You can very easily find a way for almost every customer to use it. I would rate this solution as a 9 out of 10. The performance is very good. The price is also good. You get performance, and lots of features which are very flexible…
reviewer1089651
Senior Sales Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Nov 7, 2019
Offers valuable work balancing applications and assists with the customer's communication requirements

What is our primary use case?

I work as a senior sales engineer and business developer manager and we distribute the Citrix NetScaler AppFirewall. My job is in presales and I'm also a distributor, assisting the company partners. Our customers are generally enterprise and public companies and our primary use of the product is for security and work balancing applications. Implementation of the product assists with all the applications and the customer's communication requirements. NetScaler can do a lot of things. We make a point of always using the latest version of the product.

• "The work balancing applications are the most valuable feature."
  • "The product could be improved by making it easier to use and easier to implement."

What other advice do I have?

The deployment model depends on the customer and normally it's carried out by the customer, because NetScaler in Portugal, where I am, isn't well known so we do a proof of concept first for a couple of months and then after the installation, configuration and the customer approves the product, then the department delivers it. There are some security problems, there's are DOS problems, different kinds of attacks. Another one is for load balancing the charge of the application because NetScaler is a very good solution to load balance the load off the application itself, from Citrix or from…
Find out what your peers are saying about Citrix, Fortinet, Microsoft and others in Web Application Firewall (WAF). Updated: January 2021.
456,966 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Brian Holloway
Technical Project Manager with 10,001+ employees
Apr 1, 2019
If the internet connection at one of the branches goes down we can still route them and they carry on working

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for proxy firewalling.

• "When our primary link goes down I can still get to my Cisco devices and the NetScaler devices on-prem because of the SDN solution. If the internet connection at one of the branches goes down, we can still route them, they still get internet based on the SDN solution through one of the other sites. They can carry on working."
  • "Security could be improved because then I can get rid of my Cisco firewalls. If they improve the security then I could run my security, my proxy, my firewalling and my SDN solution on one device instead of having to have multiple devices."

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give somebody researching this solution is to do your research properly and see what's the best solution for the company and the company's needs before you make a decision. You can't just randomly pick a device. You have to do your investigations first. Put in proof of concepts, speak to your seniors. You must tell them what exactly is your company requirements and which device is going to suit those requirements the best. I would rate it a nine out of ten.
reviewer1264455
Expert System Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Apr 23, 2020
If there is a problem, the load will shift to other sites automatically

What is our primary use case?

We have one project for our telecom and another for our port to manage traffic. In our country, it is not possible to implement in the cloud.

• "The stability is good. If there is a problem, the load will be shifted to other sites automatically, which has been a good experience for us."
  • "The reporting is not so good. They don't have an application to connect the logs."

What other advice do I have?

NetScaler is a good product for partners. I would rate NetScaler as an eight (out of 10).
Download our free Web Application Firewall (WAF) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Citrix, Fortinet, Microsoft, and more!