Dell EMC Avamar Overview

Dell EMC Avamar is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Deduplication Software. It is most often compared to Dell EMC NetWorker: Dell EMC Avamar vs Dell EMC NetWorker

What is Dell EMC Avamar?

Avamar is fast, efficient backup and recovery through a complete software and hardware solution. Equipped with integrated variable-length deduplication technology, Avamar facilitates fast, daily full backups for virtual environments, remote offices, enterprise applications, network-attached storage (NAS) servers, and desktops/laptops.

Dell EMC Avamar is also known as Avamar.

Dell EMC Avamar Buyer's Guide

Download the Dell EMC Avamar Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

Dell EMC Avamar Customers

Comanche County Memorial Hospital, Cap Atlantique, Getronics, Lewisville Independent School District, EnvisionRxOptions, Cincinnati Bell Technology Solutions

Dell EMC Avamar Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell EMC Avamar pricing:
  • "It was approximately $70-80,000 when it was under support, but right now EMC has not been supporting this product for two years."
  • "It was very expensive before, but after integrating it with Dell EMC Avamar Data Protection suite licensing, we are getting better discounts."

Dell EMC Avamar Reviews

Trainstore67
Trainer, storage consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Aug 29, 2019
Good for backups and is easy to troubleshoot

What is our primary use case?

Data backup is our primary usage of the solution.

• "The product is good for backups."
  • "The client caches and deduplication system have a few problems."

What other advice do I have?

Before you start using this program, you must know that you can't do everything with Avamar. There are some limitations like the size of the database. One lesson I've learned from working with Avamar is that you must follow the rules. Often people do not follow the rules for different products. Some products are very forgiving and you don't need to strictly follow the rules, but with Avamar, you have to follow the rules. You have to read the manual, you have to really know what you are doing, especially when you do the first implementation. The product is good for backups but if you look at…
A Z
Presales Engineer at Eta2u
Jun 21, 2020
Many valuable features, good stability, and is easy to manage

What is our primary use case?

In Romania, more customers own their enterprise software. But the new wave wants to also try cloud data centers and cloud backup and so on.

• "Dell EMC Avamar has many valuable features. It's very stable and it's easy to manage."
  • "It's not the best solution for big databases."

What other advice do I have?

In Romania we have a lot of enterprises. That means more than 200 servers and maybe hundreds to thousands of clients. If they have a lot of VM machines it's one of the best solutions. If they have over 30 percent of their database on other applications is not recommended. It's working, but it's not recommended. On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Dell EMC Avamar based on the environment. If they have a cloud implementation of virtual machines then I would rate it ten out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Dell EMC Avamar. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
464,655 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Haseeb Sheikh
Assistant Manager IT Infrastructure at ufone
Jun 17, 2020
Easily backs up remote sites' data and not much bandwidth is required from its side

What is our primary use case?

Our company has more than 5,000 employees, and we use the Avamar solution for the protection of our rear environment, we are protecting 1,500+ VMs using this solution.

• "Avamar's source side deduplication is very strong, it can easily back up remote sites' data, and not much bandwidth is required on the Avamar side."
  • "EMC has discontinued their Avamar hardware version. They only advertise the Avamar virtual edition."

What other advice do I have?

Because of the EOL issues, I would not recommend to anyone to use this product anymore. They have a newer virtual edition of Avamar. But Avamar is not available on the physical servers, as of now. I would give Dell EMC Avamar a seven out of 10.
reviewer1029222
Storage Management Specialist at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Sep 29, 2020
Integrates well with different platforms and includes a comprehensive search option

What is our primary use case?

We deal with data that has compliance requirements for long-term retention, which is like 10 years plus the life of the client. As long as they're in our program, we have to keep anything related to them for that time period, which can run up to 30 years. We deal with all things related to that. I'm a storage management specialist and we are customers of Dell.

• "The solution integrates well with Unix, Windows, Hyper-V and VM."
  • "A benefit would be support for either Azure Cool Storage or AWS Glacier."

What other advice do I have?

The old version didn't have a comprehensive search. It was one of my pain points with the product when it came to restores. That has now been included so I'd recommend this solution with the all-in-one solutions that they have with their data protection units - that's how I'd recommend it be deployed. With the DP 4,400 which includes Avamar, data domain search, and backup management, I'd rate this solution a nine out of 10.
reviewer1294890
Data Protection Specialist at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Nov 15, 2020
Integrated de-duplication technology for fast and efficient backup recovery

• "They are extremely reliable and scalable — they provide the best de-duplication on the market."
  • "There also needs to be single sign-on support."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution. Dell EMC is definitely one of the top three to four solutions. I'd recommend it because I think the cost of ownership and the return on investment are both extremely good — very low. It's very stable, reliable and very fast. The backup center stores information extremely fast, the de-duplication is great. All of this is available under one hood. The complexity is hidden from you. With Dell, everything has been done for you. Out of the box, it's ready to go, and it's very, very fast. On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of…
reviewer858318
Head of presales at a integrator with 11-50 employees
Dec 10, 2020
A stable and scalable solution that's always improving

What is our primary use case?

In a data center, the entire workloads are virtualized, and they are backing up the content, and sometimes because of bandwidth, operations need to be backed up quickly. In that kind of scenario, this source site replication is very supportive. Avamar evaluates the data that's already backed up, and only the chain blocks can be transferred via the network. There won't be any heavy network traffic, and the time it takes to backup is quick and within the window. On the client-side, we can also backup clients with Avamar. These days with the pandemic, most of them work from home, and we're using… more »

• "The source site replication feature is valuable."
  • "It would be better if we could integrate easily with other platforms."

What other advice do I have?

I always see improvements on the Avamar side, and we are happy with that. On a scale from one to ten, I would give Dell EMC Avamar a ten.
reviewer1289250
Storage Administrator at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Sep 27, 2020
An easy initial setup with good duplication and good stability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for virtual infrastructure.

• "The initial setup is easy."
  • "It would be helpful if there was cloud support."

What other advice do I have?

We're currently just customers with Dell. We don't have a business relationship with them. I'm not sure if I would recommend the solution as there's a new solution that will be replacing it. However, it's not a bad solution as it stands. Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. It's a pretty decent product.
Rishiraj Nandedkar
Deputy General Manager ( Practice Head Data Protection and Migration) at Netmagic Solutions (An NTT Communications Company)
Aug 13, 2020
Great duplication and backup speed made a huge difference to us but it is expensive

What is our primary use case?

I recently stopped using this product because my work moved away from operations and I'm now a patents director, so I generally do the designing. My client was looking for backups and for an application along with a desktop backup. We are partners with Dell and I'm the deputy general manager of the company.

• "Duplication and the speed of backup are great."
  • "It's an expensive solution."

What other advice do I have?

If you're enterprise, you are definitely going to use Avamar because it can save a lot of space because of its duplication feature, which is great. Just the backup speed is tremendous compared to other backup solutions. If you're enterprise and having issues with set up, then I'd definitely recommend Avamar. I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.
See 16 more Dell EMC Avamar Reviews
Download our free Dell EMC Avamar Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.