Dell EMC Avamar OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell EMC Avamar is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Deduplication Software. It is most often compared to Dell EMC NetWorker: Dell EMC Avamar vs Dell EMC NetWorker

What is Dell EMC Avamar?

Avamar is fast, efficient backup and recovery through a complete software and hardware solution. Equipped with integrated variable-length deduplication technology, Avamar facilitates fast, daily full backups for virtual environments, remote offices, enterprise applications, network-attached storage (NAS) servers, and desktops/laptops.

Dell EMC Avamar is also known as Avamar.

Dell EMC Avamar Buyer's Guide

Download the Dell EMC Avamar Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Dell EMC Avamar Customers

Comanche County Memorial Hospital, Cap Atlantique, Getronics, Lewisville Independent School District, EnvisionRxOptions, Cincinnati Bell Technology Solutions

Dell EMC Avamar Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell EMC Avamar pricing:
  • "Its licensing is weird. It is not just the licenses; we also purchase hardware. With most software products, such as Veeam, Commvault, and Data Protector, there is no hardware purchase at the same time. Because Avamar and Data Domain are tied together, they have an integrated pipe. You can separate them, but basically, they're designed to work as a couple. Because the Data Domain backend is designed to do dedupe and compression, we get 60:1. When you count it, you count it as a straight compression, but of course, that's with dedupe and some other stuff. You have to buy the hardware, the licensing, and the software at the same time. So, it's not just software."
  • "It is expensive. The maintenance comes with it for five years. So, you buy the whole thing for five years, and your maintenance is included with it, but it's a big chunk of change upfront. We like capital expenses because we can CapEx them. We pay once every five years, so we spend a big chunk of change. You'd have to divide that out by the five years to come up with how much it costs. It's just about three-quarters of a million dollars for five years."
  • "It's a very high-end solution and comparable to Rubrik and Cohesity."
  • "It was approximately $70-80,000 when it was under support, but right now EMC has not been supporting this product for two years."
  • "Its price should be reduced. It would be good if you could pay as per usage, and there is a subscription model like VMware. There should be some flexibility because sometimes, the customer only uses the backup for one month or three months. Currently, I have to pay whether I use it or not. Its licensing should be flexible and based on consumption."

RO
Unix Architect at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
Unlimited scalability, very stable, and ties very well with VMware API

What is our primary use case?

It is a backup solution. So, we do daily backups of around 3,000 VMware guests. That is normally just an image backup where it goes to the VMware API, backs up the image file, and then puts it on the backend to Avamar into Data Domain. It has a specialized storage system that does dedupe and compression, so we can get more on a single disk array. We have more than one site. We have a primary site and a secondary site. At the Data Domain level, we replicate site to site every backup every day so that we have the availability in our secondary site for every VM. The replication is done with the… more »

• "Every product is good and bad, but its claim to fame is that it is scalable. We're doing more than 3,000 VMs. Every single night a complete image backup to disks and replication are easily done in under four hours."
  • "It is very scalable, and that's its claim to fame, but that also makes it hard to make changes. Anytime there is a large piece of software, changing that piece of software is harder. You've got a larger install base, so you can't just rapidly change. We also use another product called Veeam, and it has this new feature called Continuous Data Protection, which basically lets you get very close to the way the system was in time. We have a system or two up there on which we have set 10 minutes Continuous Data Protection. So, we can roll it back to whatever it was 10 minutes ago, 20 minutes ago, or 30 minutes ago. This feature doesn't exist in Avamar Data Domain. That's the one feature I'd like to see first."

What other advice do I have?

Be sure it is what you need. We bought it simply because we're a VMware shop, and we knew we were going to grow that particular core from our business and discontinue using physical hardware altogether. If that's a model that you're doing, it's a nice product. If it's not, you don't need it. I would also upfront negotiate the licensing model with them so that you know what to expect before you get into it. What we did not do is buy the cloud extension or an archive solution, and that is now becoming a fairly predominant piece of the pie that we don't have any licensing for. So, make sure it…
AL
VP Global Infrastructure at a media company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Scalable, and integrates well, but support and stability need improvements

What is our primary use case?

We use Avamar for all of our backup and data management solutions in our co-location facility. I have two co-location facilities with one in Carrollton, Texas, and one in Austin. I have data domains, Avamar platforms, and Avamar software that we use across our enterprise. I manage a global technology team and a global infrastructure team. We use those platforms across all of our data centers, as well as on our sites where we have on-premises storage for either our Burrtec solutions or Isilon solutions that we have in territories, where we have to have data remain in the country due to the… more »

• "The most valuable features are scalability and integration."
  • "Dell hasn't done a good job at handling these upgrades, or the way EMC used to handle them."

What other advice do I have?

You have to be really concerned about the Dell support model, the quality of their upgrades, and their support team's knowledge because they have issues in that area. When you consider rating this solution, there are two parts to consider. There is the physical platform, the data domain, and the Avamar software. There is support for both of those. The physical platform is pretty reliable. I would rate it an eight, and for the support and the software, I would give it a six because of the issues that we've experienced with it. Overall, I would rate Dell EMC Avamar a seven out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Dell EMC Avamar. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
535,544 professionals have used our research since 2012.
A Z
Presales Engineer at Eta2u
Many valuable features, good stability, and is easy to manage

What is our primary use case?

In Romania, more customers own their enterprise software. But the new wave wants to also try cloud data centers and cloud backup and so on.

• "Dell EMC Avamar has many valuable features. It's very stable and it's easy to manage."
  • "It's not the best solution for big databases."

What other advice do I have?

In Romania we have a lot of enterprises. That means more than 200 servers and maybe hundreds to thousands of clients. If they have a lot of VM machines it's one of the best solutions. If they have over 30 percent of their database on other applications is not recommended. It's working, but it's not recommended. On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Dell EMC Avamar based on the environment. If they have a cloud implementation of virtual machines then I would rate it ten out of ten.
Haseeb Sheikh
Assistant Manager IT Infrastructure at ufone
Easily backs up remote sites' data and not much bandwidth is required from its side

What is our primary use case?

Our company has more than 5,000 employees, and we use the Avamar solution for the protection of our rear environment, we are protecting 1,500+ VMs using this solution.

• "Avamar's source side deduplication is very strong, it can easily back up remote sites' data, and not much bandwidth is required on the Avamar side."
  • "EMC has discontinued their Avamar hardware version. They only advertise the Avamar virtual edition."

What other advice do I have?

Because of the EOL issues, I would not recommend to anyone to use this product anymore. They have a newer virtual edition of Avamar. But Avamar is not available on the physical servers, as of now. I would give Dell EMC Avamar a seven out of 10.
RW
Storage Management Specialist at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Integrates well with different platforms and includes a comprehensive search option

What is our primary use case?

We deal with data that has compliance requirements for long-term retention, which is like 10 years plus the life of the client. As long as they're in our program, we have to keep anything related to them for that time period, which can run up to 30 years. We deal with all things related to that. I'm a storage management specialist and we are customers of Dell.

• "The solution integrates well with Unix, Windows, Hyper-V and VM."
  • "A benefit would be support for either Azure Cool Storage or AWS Glacier."

What other advice do I have?

The old version didn't have a comprehensive search. It was one of my pain points with the product when it came to restores. That has now been included so I'd recommend this solution with the all-in-one solutions that they have with their data protection units - that's how I'd recommend it be deployed. With the DP 4,400 which includes Avamar, data domain search, and backup management, I'd rate this solution a nine out of 10.
MT
Data Protection Specialist at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Integrated de-duplication technology for fast and efficient backup recovery

• "They are extremely reliable and scalable — they provide the best de-duplication on the market."
  • "There also needs to be single sign-on support."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution. Dell EMC is definitely one of the top three to four solutions. I'd recommend it because I think the cost of ownership and the return on investment are both extremely good — very low. It's very stable, reliable and very fast. The backup center stores information extremely fast, the de-duplication is great. All of this is available under one hood. The complexity is hidden from you. With Dell, everything has been done for you. Out of the box, it's ready to go, and it's very, very fast. On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of…
PP
Senior Cloud Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Good stability, deduplication, and support, but should have less hardware dependency and better reporting and price

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a backup and restore solution for our customers. For replication, we use the Data Domain application. We replicate from our primary site to the DR site.

• "Its stability and deduplication capabilities are most valuable."
  • "Avamar is dependent on the hardware. It can't be implemented with ordinary storage. It can only be implemented with an EMC product. We want to have a backup solution that allows us to use independent storage and other hardware. It would be good if they can simplify its technology and make it possible to implement it with another storage. This is probably not possible because Avamar is an EMC product, and EMC would like to sell its own products."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Dell EMC Avamar a seven out of ten.
AA
Modern Data Center and Cloud Engineer II at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Flexible and stable with great reporting

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution the database replications in web hosting, mostly.

• "The solution is very stable."
  • "The product could offer more integration capabilities."

What other advice do I have?

We are integrators. We tend to work with relatively new versions of the solution. It may not always be the latest version. Typically the versions we use have been released in the last six months or so. I'd recommend the solution to other organizations and especially to end-users. In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.
See 24 more Dell EMC Avamar Reviews
Download our free Dell EMC Avamar Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.