Drupal Overview

Drupal is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Web Content Management tools. It is most often compared to SharePoint: Drupal vs SharePoint

What is Drupal?
Drupal is an open source content management platform powering millions of websites and applications

Download the Web Content Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: March 2021

Drupal Customers
BMJ, The Economist, New Republic, SpaceX, Lush, Danone, Tesla Motors, Peugeot, Stanford Law, Harvard, Oxford University, MIT Media Lab, The Beatles, MTV UK, The Weather Channel, NBC, BBC, grammy.com, Mus_e du Louvre, Whitehouse.gov, London.gov.uk, Gouvernment.fr, New Zealand Government, The Prince of Wales, British Council, NYC Metropolitan Transport Authority, Gatwick Obviously
Drupal Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

it_user798423
Developer at FFW
User
Jun 10, 2018
It is good for big projects

What is our primary use case?

I work with it.

How has it helped my organization?

It is good for big projects.

What is most valuable?

Module system.

What needs improvement?

It is a little bit simplified.

it_user543960
IT at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Jun 5, 2018
You can build websites on it very quickly, but its digital experience features need improvement

How has it helped my organization?

We have built a production ready, heavy content website using this product within two to three months.

What is most valuable?

It is very developer friendly. You can build websites on it very quickly.

What needs improvement?

Overall business friendliness of the product: Digital experience features like target segmentation and campaign management have a long way to go.

Less than one year.

Several modules which worked well on the previous version of the product have not yet been upgraded or do not work seamlessly anymore on the newer version.

Not yet.
Find out what your peers are saying about Drupal, Liferay, Microsoft and others in Web Content Management. Updated: March 2021.
476,892 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Mark Vincent Verallo
Web Developer / Programmer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Oct 18, 2017
Drupal undoubtedly has lots of valuable features. All of these features of Drupal work together to fortify one of its great attributes, its flexibility.

What other advice do I have?

Try it. Find out its full potential by first watching the tutorials and then think how you can implement it with your own website or project.
DrupalSo1d7c
Drupal Solutions Architect at a non-tech company
Oct 17, 2017
Some of the valuable features include Custom distributions, localization, and analytics.

What other advice do I have?

If you do not need the features that I have mentioned above, then do not use Drupal.
it_user685365
Drupal Developer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Jun 28, 2017
Content management helps the end user to input or update the content on his own without approaching the developer.

What other advice do I have?

If you need an open-source, scalable and secure CMS, then go for Drupal. The Drupal project is an open-source solution and is supported by an awesome community of developers. It doesn't belong to any specific vendor.
it_user677691
Drupal Web Developer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Jun 14, 2017
The hook system makes it extensible and allows custom modules to be extensible themselves.

What other advice do I have?

Do not be afraid. The community is eager to meet you :). Being a community based product, the relationship with the product itself is providing back to the community. Bugs are fixed and contributed upstream to the community when possible.
it_user674079
PHP/Drupal developer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jun 13, 2017
Useful solution to build web applications. It requires a lot of server resources.

What is most valuable?

Views, terms, panels, and entity conception. It is a very useful and fast solution to build successful web applications.

How has it helped my organization?

We built a few powerful applications on D7 and it was very fast.

What needs improvement?

It requires a lot of server resources. It should be optimized.

We have been using this solution for seven years.

We had stability issues. I have a lot of 'Out of memory' issues.

We had issues with scalability.

Drupal has a very cool community, so the technical support is pretty high.

Which solution did I use

it_user664716
Freelance Drupal Front End Developer at Marc Martinez at a tech vendor
Jun 12, 2017
We were able to build several websites that utilize many custom content types.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it! If you know how to code in PHP, CSS3, and HTML 5, your experience will be much easier and you will appreciate Drupal much more. For anyone thinking of switching to Drupal, I would recommend finding a developer or designer who is already familiar with Drupal 7 and particularly version 8. I would rate it higher, but I also use Ruby on Rails, and MODX (PHP-based), which provide a more flexible, more code hacking, development framework. Drupal is a favorite and I will continue to support its development and will use it in situations where I feel that it will benefit a client over other…
it_user674082
Drupal Architect with 201-500 employees
Jun 11, 2017
Some of the valuable features are revisioning, workflow, translation, and API scaffolding.

What other advice do I have?

Drupal for end users is fairly straightforward. For developers, the learning curve to be proficient is about two years.
it_user674055
Drupal developer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Jun 8, 2017
Data is well-structured and controlled from any part of the code.

What other advice do I have?

You should definitely use this product. After so many years of development, it has already lots of developed APIs with the third products like CRM and ERP. You can integrate it easily with your other IT infrastructure.
it_user677715
Drupal Lead Developer at a marketing services firm with 201-500 employees
Jun 5, 2017
It provides a tailored website by using the same CMS and framework.

What other advice do I have?

Find the right project and just start using it. There is no other way than just jumping into Drupal to know how powerful it is and to learn how to use it. If you have any question, look into drupal.stackexchange.com. If you don't find the answer, just ask. Frankly, besides WordPress, no other CMS can compete with Drupal.
it_user669366
Drupal Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
May 24, 2017
It is a framework integrated with CMS, making the software useful for both the developer teams and the content editors.

What other advice do I have?

Read about it, ask the community and NEVER EVER change the Drupal core.
it_user669345
Drupal Developer at a media company with 201-500 employees
May 24, 2017
Provides content-rich web sites that combine article presentation with back-end admin functionality.

What other advice do I have?

You should hire an expert, or at least get familiar with the large number of Drupal based distributions.
it_user666759
Drupal Web Developer at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
May 22, 2017
The new component-based content management is very helpful.

What other advice do I have?

Educate yourself and take your time.
it_user667677
Senior Drupal Developer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
May 22, 2017
My favorite feature is its ability to create content types using the field system.

What other advice do I have?

Drupal is a fantastic tool for content management, but it has a pretty high learning curve. For very simple solutions, such as for setting up a blog or a static informational website, you might find that Drupal is overkill. There are other, better tools available for such tasks. However, if you want something robust and secure, Drupal is a good choice.
it_user104652
IT Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
May 10, 2017
We use it to build and maintain a web page. Modifying themes could be easier.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to build and maintain a web page.

How has it helped my organization?

I sell car cameras (dash cameras) and I decided to build a site where the customers can publish their interesting recordings. The site was built on Drupal in three hours.

What needs improvement?

Modifying the themes (colors, dimensions, and pictures) could be easier.

I have used Drupal for three years.

I have had no problems with stability.

I have had no problems with scalability.

If technical support includes the on-line forums, then it is perfect.

Which solution did I

it_user637827
Drupal Backend Developer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Apr 24, 2017
Has provided us with a modular framework where we can develop our own modules to give a required feature to the client.

What other advice do I have?

I think the best advice is to be patient and persevering. Drupal is a very large tool and you will need to read a lot documentation and view some examples to start with it.
it_user635487
Application Developer, Sr at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Mar 31, 2017
Being free to extend or alter it is important for us.

What other advice do I have?

Find a trusted partner and make sure that you engage with the community. There are hundreds of meetups for Drupal enthusiasts around the world.
it_user628050
Senior Drupal developer at a non-profit with 51-200 employees
Mar 22, 2017
The best features are its extensibility and plug-ability. It has a very good authentication/authorization system.

What other advice do I have?

While the learning curve is steep and may seem scary, if you invest time in it, it is well worth it. It may be a good idea to invest in training and/or literature about development in Drupal. It will teach your best practices and will shorten the learning curve. I think they are on the right track though. They listen to the community about a lot of things and they try to improve the application itself and the modules by giving coding and security feedback/guidelines. Drupal Version 7 is mature and will not change. Out-of-the-box, it’s still incomplete as a full-blown CMS. There is no easy way…
it_user249003
Developer at Appnovation Technologies
Mar 21, 2017
The key differentiator to other solutions is the way that content is structured and managed.

What other advice do I have?

First invest in internal knowledge and your way to handle strategic decisions, and then find a good provider/partner who can support you when you need it. Free your mind from other concepts that may be related. This is mostly relevant for people who are quite accustomed to SharePoint and/or other commercial solutions. This is a shift in the paradigm. Embracing Drupal while trying to achieve similar results as these other solutions will never work.
it_user627033
Web Developer at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
Mar 20, 2017
The most valuable features are a customizable web platform and community support.

What other advice do I have?

Check if Drupal is the right tool for your project and business. Drupal projects can be expensive. Sometimes finding good developers is a hard task and the learning curve is very steep. But it is worth it if you require an enterprise level web platform with great scalability, support, and security. If you need a simpler website, and your budget is limited, it might be a good idea to check other tools like WordPress.
it_user627036
Drupal Developer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Mar 20, 2017
Offers a wide array of modules to add functionality to a website. The community is a very passionate and helpful one.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you know Drupal before getting into it. Take a Drupal course like the one we have.
it_user627042
Sales Development at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Mar 20, 2017
Creates authoring workflows, content architecture, and allows you to publish content on a single site.

What other advice do I have?

If Drupal meets your specific requirements, please go right ahead.
it_user526989
Senior IT Officer at a non-profit with 501-1,000 employees
Mar 20, 2017
The themes and modules are valuable features. We can enhance the application's performance.

What other advice do I have?

I encourage others to use this product. It is a very powerful CMS tool with a lot of themes and modules. It is great for enterprise use.
it_user626082
Web Developer at Themelize.me
Mar 19, 2017
The key contributing modules are views, panels, Ctools, token, and Pathauto.

What other advice do I have?

Be patient and expect a learning curve. In the end, you’ll have a solid CMS platform with which to work.
it_user622752
Expert Drupal, SEO at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Mar 11, 2017
Offers community created modules for website building.

What other advice do I have?

The first website you build with Drupal will have a lot of mistakes. I would recommend a training session to grasp the basic principles. Use Drupal, Version 8, when you are starting. The UX keeps getting better and better. Drupal is now a lot easier to start with than a few years back. You will need help to build complex websites, especially regarding what community module you choose and for what situation. Drupal is currently working on "workspaces", which allow for the revisioning of a whole website. This means having a draft version of the website and a live one. They plan to add that to…
it_user621027
Senior Software Engineer at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mar 8, 2017
The velocity of its extensibility and prototyping is a valuable feature.

What other advice do I have?

Drupal developers are in high demand. This makes finding and securing another developer more time consuming and costly.
it_user607074
Web Application Developer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Feb 12, 2017
It is a flexible CMS and initial setup is straightforward.

What is most valuable?

Drupal is the most powerful and flexible CMS. We can extend it to any level of complexity.

What needs improvement?

The version upgrading process is very painful. Moving to a new Drupal version involves much more than building and configuring the new site. Drupal really needs an easy solution for the major version upgrade process, like the one-click WordPress version upgrades.

I have been using this solution since 2005.

Initial setup is straightforward and simple.
it_user253797
IT Consultant, Business Owner, Lecturer at a tech consulting company with 10,001+ employees
Apr 26, 2016
Through my different companies, we have developed many Drupal sites, from simple ones to complex E-commerce sites and custom made applications. The UI could be improved, though.
it_user330165
Online Websites Advertising at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
Oct 20, 2015
Its environment allows for rapid prototyping, but it needs a shorter learning curve.

Valuable Features:

It's extensible with so many modules. The environment allows for rapid prototyping. It provides security updates more often. It has a huge community and support from all over the web.

Room for Improvement:

It needs a shorter learning curve. It needs to improve resources usage.
it_user243900
Web Administrator at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jun 30, 2015
It's your CMS if you're concerned with enterprise-level security, but the existing plugins don't cover all areas.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you know what kind of website you want to build and who will be using it. It is good to note the following: - Drupal has enterprise level security. Numerous government websites are build on Drupal so if security is a number one priority Drupal is your CMS - As far as SEO is concerned, things can go really bad for Drupal if the developer does not know what he/she is doing, or does not understand customer needs. If SEO is done correctly Drupal is as good for SEO as any other CMS - Use Drupal if expandability is a must or if you are building a large website with various kinds of…
it_user77997
Senior Manager of IT with 1,001-5,000 employees
Aug 13, 2014
Migration from one version to the next requires significant effort, but our key metrics have improved dramatically.

What other advice do I have?

Do NOT implement your first site without the aid of an experienced, collaborative expert. It is very easy to build a Drupal site extremely poorly, and an expert will guide you toward using Drupal the way it works best.
it_user77997
Senior Manager of IT with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jun 24, 2014
The amount of functionality provided is valuable but upgrading to new major versions has been complex and difficult

What other advice do I have?

If you plan on implementing it yourself, and you don’t already have Drupal experts on your team, don’t. Even if you believe you have the smartest developers in the world, you need to have experienced Drupal developers for technical guidance and to help ensure that your team uses Drupal development best practices.
it_user90792
Developer with 51-200 employees
Feb 20, 2014
Do your research, play around with it yourself, figure out if it’s the right fit for you and if so, welcome to Drupal

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to get your hands on an installation of Drupal, get it going and play around with creating content, using modules and just generally exploring the various settings that are part of Drupal core. After that, it’s up to you to determine whether Drupal can meet your goals or use cases. If you’re still unsure, there are various case studies out there to read up on which may help your decision making process. On top of all of that, if you’re really serious about implementing Drupal, finding a good web development team with a strong understanding of Drupal standards is a must have…
it_user8925
Developer with 51-200 employees
Sep 8, 2013
Comparing the Social Business Platforms: Drupal Commons, Sharepoint and Jive
In our first two posts we reviewed two of the most popular platforms for social business portals, Jive and Sharepoint. We found that Jive is feature-rich, user friendly, but also expensive. Sharepoint on the other hand is less user friendly, but a powerful tool nonetheless, particularly for businesses that use Microsoft products extensively. In this review we will examine Drupal Commons 3.0, an open-source Drupal-based platform. For the Drupal Commons review, I went to the official website and downloaded a copy to try it out on my local box. Acquia, the parent company behind Drupal, offers services around this product. Commons, like Drupal, is an open-source product that is installed just like a normal Drupal site. I have played with previous versions before but this version has been…
Download our free Web Content Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Drupal, Liferay, Microsoft, and more!
Quick Links