EMC Avamar Reviews

rating
reviewer10509
Business Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Jun 29 2017

What is most valuable?

Source based deduplication is the most attractive feature as it drastically reduces the backup window.

How has it helped my organization?

I've helped several organizations reduce the backup window and they could spend time on optimizing other bits of IT infra.

What needs improvement?

Desktop-laptop backups and backup over the WAN needs lot of improvisation. For DTLT there must be a provision to push... more»

It is very expensive. It's a trust based licensing. So that's an ethical challenge.

Ability to manage both DTLT and server backup using the same console, and reduced backup window and data footprint,... more»

What other advice do I have?

Have your inventory ready and priorities set. Make sure initial backup is taken during off-production hours as the... more»
PaulLemmons
Lead Systems Software Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oct 25 2018

What is most valuable?

File level, SQL Server and NDMP (NetApp) backups. Both backup and recovery work well for all three types of data.

How has it helped my organization?

The product works. It does, however, require a significant amount of handholding from support. The support is good, but we should not have to reach out to them so often.

What needs improvement?

* Stability has improved since we first started using it, but it still has a ways to go. The systems also collect metadata that builds over time. It will build until it cannot build anymore and fills up your nodes. I have plenty of space on... more»
Find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, Veeam Software, CommVault and others in Backup and Recovery Software.
301,395 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Chin Pak
Lead - Data Protection at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Aug 15 2017

What do you think of EMC Avamar?

What is most valuable?: Client deduplication. • How has it helped my organization?: Reduced backup times. • What needs improvement?: Restores should be faster. Backup image browse times should be faster. User interface is very dated. No accurate backup size utilization of clients. • For how long have I used the solution?: Six years. • What was my experience with deployment of the solution?: No. • What do I think about the stability of the solution?: No. • What do I think about the scalability of the solution?: Yes. • How is customer service and technical support?: Customer Service: Very good. Technical Support: Fair. • Which solutions did we use previously?: NetBackup. We needed faster backup times for NAS and server clients. • How was the...

Articles

User Assessments By Topic About EMC Avamar

301,395 professionals have used our research since 2012.

EMC Avamar Questions

EMC Avamar Projects By Members

EMC Avamar Consultants

What is EMC Avamar?

Avamar is fast, efficient backup and recovery through a complete software and hardware solution. Equipped with integrated variable-length deduplication technology, Avamar facilitates fast, daily full backups for virtual environments, remote offices, enterprise applications, network-attached storage (NAS) servers, and desktops/laptops.

Also known as
Avamar
EMC Avamar customers

Comanche County Memorial Hospital, Cap Atlantique, Getronics, Lewisville Independent School District, EnvisionRxOptions, Cincinnati Bell Technology Solutions

BUYER'S GUIDE
Not sure which Backup and Recovery Software solution is right for you?

Download our free Backup and Recovery Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, Veeam Software, CommVault, and more!