HPE StoreOnce Overview

HPE StoreOnce is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Disk Based Backup Systems. It is most often compared to Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain): HPE StoreOnce vs Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain)

What is HPE StoreOnce?

HP StoreOnce Backup is a data backup solution that provides a consistent, high-performance, scale-out architecture for your entire enterprise. Reduce the amount of backup data capacity by 95 percent, and choose between powerful dedicated appliances for data centers, or flexible virtual appliances for smaller and remote offices.

HPE StoreOnce is also known as HP StoreOnce.

Download the Deduplication Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

HPE StoreOnce Customers
Eurobank Serbia
HPE StoreOnce Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

JS
User at Universidad de Guanajuato
Gives us confidence in the ability to make a full recovery

What is our primary use case?

We use this as a backup solution in conjunction with Veeam Availability Suite.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has allowed us to feel confident in that we have a mechanism for the full recovery of service, and not only our data.

What is most valuable?

The deduplication feature in this product is amazing.

What needs improvement?

This product would be improved with the inclusion of more features to security or WORM.

EG
Solutions Architect / IT PreSales Manager at MT2005 Integradores y Consultores S.A.
A fast, efficient, and cost-saving approach that assists with operational continuity

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is disk backup and dedupe technologies.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has improved our organization because it provides faster backup, more efficient storage, and operational continuity.

What is most valuable?

I have found the dedupe technology to be the most valuable feature. It results in more efficient storage utilization, cutting capital expenditure in half.

What needs improvement?

The product could be improved with better support for data protection.

More than five years.
Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Dell EMC, Veritas and others in Deduplication Software. Updated: April 2021.
479,894 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MA
Storage Administrator at Oncor Electric Delivery
User

What is our primary use case?

Deduplication. As well, having Catalyst backups that are supported by HPE StoreOnce 6600 is very good for BURA.

How has it helped my organization?

It reduced larger backup windows where we have had to wait for days to complete one full backup of a larger database.

What is most valuable?

Catalyst backup is used to back up Oracle databases, and provides very good throughput during backups.

What needs improvement?

We are looking for Federated VTLs just like Federated Catalyst Store. Currently, VTLs can only be created on individual service sets and cannot be used to share the resources of other nodes.

Three to five years.
Sysadmin
Saves me time because we can virtualize the tape drives

• "It's easy to backup data, manage. A"
  • "I don't see any new features that we could want or anything that could be done along those lines. Just that we need a bigger machine, so more speed."

What other advice do I have?

Think about how much you need to backup compared to how much storage you need when you size. The sizing is critical because you end up using more than you think. The product itself, nice features, it works, and it's been running stable.
Network admin/security at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
It provides quick recovery to the organization, but the software is sometimes unstable.

What is most valuable?

Agnostic backups.

How has it helped my organization?

Quick recovery.

What needs improvement?

StoreOnce software is sometimes unstable.

10 years.

Sometimes unstable.

At times not good, other times good.

Complex.

What other advice do I have?

Do a detailed inside PoC.
Chief Technology Officer at theCloud Limited
The most valuable features for us are the ease of use, the reliability, and the deduplication.

• "The most valuable features for us are the ease of use, the reliability, and the exceptional deduplication that we get across that data that we store on those devices."
  • "We would like to see some improvements in the Veeam Backup & Replication integration. It's good, but it has a lot of room to improve. In particular around the inability to easily move data between StoreOnce appliances."

What other advice do I have?

I wouldn't want to say it's perfect because there is room to improve, but for what we are using it for, we are finding it does the job really well. From a data point of view, you've got to be confident that the data you're storing is going to be deduplicable. Otherwise, you're not going to get any savings. If you're storing prededuplicated data, highly compressed data, data that doesn't repeat, you just wasted money on expensive disks, because you're paying a premium for the benefit of the data to be deduplicated. You obviously want to be sure that the data that you're putting there is going…
Hosting Contract Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We bought it as a stack, racked it together, and it brought efficiency in terms of management, which means we've needed less resources.

• "We also really benefit from the GUI capabilities."
  • "We're outsourced with a partner who recalls a larger amount of problems with the stability of the product."

What other advice do I have?

Don't be fooled by other organizations' marketing. Do your homework and make sure it suits your needs.
Network Administrator at a mining and metals company with 501-1,000 employees
It also allows us to make the most of the appliance and make the most of the technology as a whole.

• "I think the most valuable feature is the catalyst technology, which is in the StoreOnce appliance."
  • "We archive our backups on tape, so I feel like if we could somehow plug our tape drive directly into the StoreOnce device and set it up to where it would archive based on, if some kind of rules based engine or what have you, that would really be an improvement for us."

What other advice do I have?

Really to talk to a reseller. Our reseller that helped us out a lot was CDW, and we really talked to a reseller. If at all possible, to make that extra investment in the catalyst technology because it's really going to make their lives a whole lot simpler, whole lot easier, and I think that's the number 1 thing is look at the HP offerings, look at the catalyst offerings, and it's really going to simplify your life. Backups are kind of one of those things where you don't want to worry about it, you don't want to be up at night fiddling with it. I've probably gone from spending anywhere from…
Sales Director at Cp corp
Integrates with other software and reduces the backup windows.

• "The valuable feature is the ability to work with the Veeam software to reduce the backup windows."
  • "I would like to see better integration with Veeam software."

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this product because of the easy integration with Veeam and other backup products.
Technology Leader - Storage at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is reliable and easy to use. Upgrades are simple.

What other advice do I have?

Nothing's perfect, but the speed we get from the system, the deduplication we get from the system, the replication, it all works as designed. We haven't really had any complaints with the product. Again, nothing's perfect, so we can't give it a perfect rating, but it's very good, and it is way better than what we used before. We don't have to deal with physical tapes anymore. We don't have to deal with all those headaches because they are fragile. And support costs are tremendous for physical tapes when we were storing tens of thousands of them off-site. It let us saves costs on that. We run a…
Support Engineer Storage Equipment at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
My clients appreciate the deduplication ratios.
EG
Sales Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
You can take your snapshots from your 3PAR and you can back it up directly to your StoreOnce

What other advice do I have?

It doesn't replace traditional backup, but if you want a solution that can back up your snapshots quickly and reliably, then StoreOnce is good.
System Analyst at Saudi Electricity Company
It is part of an initiative to unify our solutions with one vendor. I would like to see automatic restore.

What is most valuable?

We hope to unify all our solutions, so because our storage is HPE and all our services are HPE, we also need to use StoreOnce for our backup. It has good features.

How has it helped my organization?

Support is the main thing. If we have any issue, it’s easy for us to track or investigate it, because we don’t have different solutions from different vendors. This is the main benefit we are getting.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see automatic restore and monitoring tools like a dashboard.

We started using it in 2015.

We have had some issues. We are working with HPE to solve all the issues. For example, when we try to restore, other solutions have…
IT Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
It is easy to use and easy to configure. Setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to use trusted advisors. You can only know so much. It's good to discuss things with an advisor. When looking for a vendor, the cost is, of course, important, but the partnering with HPE or another vendor and the range of products they offer is the most critical factor.
ICT & KPO Director at INglass S.p.A.
It's cost effective, technologically advanced, and scalable.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to colleagues is to deeply explore the features of StoreOnce because they have improved in the last year. StoreOnce is not the market leader. The market leader now is without any doubt EMC Data Domain. Try not to just look at the market numbers, but also at the technology of the product. Give StoreOnce a try. Try the product before deciding to buy it. The most important criteria when we choose a vendor is the technology. We are very technically oriented, so first we compare products in terms of technological level. By technology, I mean features, performance, and integration with…
IT Infrastructure Manager at Olympique Lyonnais Groupe
It integrates with our backup solution, Veeam. We use it to replicate all our site backups.

What other advice do I have?

Look into intuitive solutions for storage space. Deduplication is really efficient. You can do deduplication directly with Veeam, the backup software, side now. We save on network and bandwidth. The most important criteria for us when selecting a vendor was the integration of the old backup solution in the previous stadium, and the need to save on storage space.
Assistant Consultant at Tata Consultancy Services
Deduplication features are great, especially on Catalyst stores.

What other advice do I have?

Read the support matrix first. It is not supported on lot of the open systems such as OpenVMS or the IBM AS/400 iSeries.
Solutions Engineer at AmWINS Group, Inc.
We brought it in for the dedup technology and since we were looking to get better backup times .

What other advice do I have?

I don't think it has anything much to do with the StoreOnce solution from a hardware perspective. That seems to be really solid, but you've got to have a Symantec NetBackup, HPE Data Protector, or Veeam to really enable you to get the most out of these products. Your mileage may vary based on your backup vendor, and how well they support the hardware. Veeam probably provides the best user experience from the software side - and the software side is extremely important to the solution.
Professional: Storage Administration at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
In my previous organization, it removed the need for manual tape swapping. Also, offsite tape storage is replaced by replication to a different/central site/device.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure architecture is planning properly, e.g., centralised or decentralised HPE DP Cell Managers give you some quite different options and etc.
Manager - System Engineering and Storage at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Excellent deduplication ratios. Overall it did not live up to expectations.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you understand your use case very well, go over it in detail with the vendor and get commitments that it is compatible with your use case.
Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We can back up our data directly from stores, so it has reduced our expenses.
Project Manager at a local government with 1,001-5,000 employees
We needed to consolidate a particular aspect of storage but we also wanted to store more data and increase the retention time.

What other advice do I have?

There's a VSA version free of charge up to 1TB, so just try it.
Systems Engineer at CHEOPS TECHNOLOGY
For performance, it is better than VTL or NAS configs, and it provides total integration with HPE storage and backup solutions.

What other advice do I have?

HPE backup systems are very good products. Easy to manage, very good performance, with a lot of ongoing new development. Good integration with many backup or storage products.
IT Systems Administrator with 1,001-5,000 employees
Using virtual tapes, we have accelerated backup and recovery of our solutions.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great product but it is really expensive. Expanding its capacities is sometimes more expensive than buying new storage.
Head of Technology Services at GMD S.A.
It is possible to use Ethernet and Fabric at the same time with the same device.
Senior Security Analyst at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Compression and replication are the features of this product that are the most valuable to me.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this product.
BD
System Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
It limits the amount of storage that we have to purchase. My biggest irk is the people who will be managing these things are going to be more your system administrators. They're not Java programmers.

What other advice do I have?

It works well with Data Protector. It works well with 3PAR and that's our environment and so it's a vendor specified solution.
Network Systems Specialist II at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It sends less traffic over the network when you use the catalyst store, so it causes less congestion on the network.

What other advice do I have?

The only problems I ever saw was with the CIFs was the performance but like I said, we're trying to do the catalyst now. It's a required deduplication, and say your backup software doesn't do it or your backup software doesn't perform that great with deduplication, I'd look at StoreOnce, because it does all the deduplication on the backend.
Tech Support Manager at Trans Union de México S.A. SIC
Speed of backups is the main value for us compared to what we were previously using.

What other advice do I have?

You need to work with a partner that knows the solutions deeply in order to implement the services and the solution well. It allowed us to provide the services that our customers needs.
IT Director of Technology at Resorts World Las Vegas
Easy to setup and use. Competitive price point.

What other advice do I have?

If it had a little more functionality with other platforms, it would be rated higher. Really look at that product and compare it to the direct competition and compare it as far as features, price and annual maintenance and I think you'll see that StoreOnce should really take a hard look at that one.
Senior IT Program Manager at Microsoft
From an operational standpoint it has increased our efficiency.

What other advice do I have?

StoreOnce is fairly new. Even this week, they're announcing a lot of new features for reporting and management. I think there's a lot of room for them to grow and it's exciting to see what they're going to come out with in the near future. I think it's a great product now and I think it's going to get even better in the next couple months. I think the best thing to do is to get a demo. Try it out. Obviously its looking and feeling is more important than looking at a bunch of slides or a bunch of white papers so actually looking at and seeing how it works and see if it meets your requirements…
Chief Digital Officer, Director at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
We have a very small team, so it just frees up the guys to do other things.

What other advice do I have?

Think about the next 10 years, where are you heading. Personally, I say HPE's a pretty strong organization. They send the right messages, saying the right things. They seem like a very digital company which is all about customer, and that stuff matters to me, whereas some of the competitors, they don't have that mindset. Cisco definitely doesn't have that mindset. I really think long-term about. Sure, Cisco had a lot more features, but we didn't really need them. So, that made the decision easier. For me, when I think about HPE, think about longevity. You want to invest in technology, you're…
IT Engineering Lead at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
​We wanted to restore the files we backed up, and on three occasions we were not able to.

What other advice do I have?

We wanted to restore the files we backed up, and on three occasions we were not able to, and this got us in a lot of trouble, so I don't think I will take this risk again. Use something else.
IT Adminstrator at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
Very reliable, great deduplication rates.

What other advice do I have?

I think as long as you have a clear understanding of what it does and you're quite sure that that's what you need, then there isn't a better product. Certainly, in terms of the ease-of-use and reliability, we haven't had any issues with StoreOnce. It's definitely one of the products that I would recommend to anyone.
Systems Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's very stable. It gives us full-system backups, meaning we need less storage capacity.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you run a proper POC. It's a pretty straightforward solution so long as it's configured right from the start.
System Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
We're sensitive to the amount of storage our backups take, so "datafication" is the most valuable feature for us.

What other advice do I have?

Think about your timelines, how you plan to use the load and read data, and how you will set up your system.
ICT Manager at Mediahuis
They provide me with everything in one box and I don't need to worry about other equipment.

What other advice do I have?

I think you just have to experience it. You'll see that companies that use it have a good experience with it.
Senior Technical Analyst (Servers & Storage) at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
We brought it in to transfer all of the services that were old and creaky onto a single platform. So we back up all of our VMs and all of our SQL boxes to it.

What other advice do I have?

We use it to present virtual tape live-link to our NetApp so that we can backup our NetApp for NDMP to our StoreOnce. So virtual tapes are the concepts of a physical set of tapes. Imagine you've virtualized it, and you have to give it a size on disc, which because it's a virtual tape, it doesn't have to have the same constraints as a physical tape of four terabytes. A virtual tape can be X terabytes. We originally put them in and sized them too small. And when I had to go back, and we had something like 400 tapes. I had to edit each tape and increase its capacity so that we got better value…
Senior Unix Administrator (Storage Archive Specialist) at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It allows us to complete daily backup and restore tasks quicker than from physical tape, but it needs further integration with NetBackup to allow the use of catalyst storage as well as AIR.

What other advice do I have?

The HP StoreOnce range is great if you are running NetBackup as it integrates well with the backup product, the deduplication rates are very favorable, and it also allows the use of the DR option using AIR.
ICT Infrastructure Analyst (Server / Datacentre Team) with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's reduced costs for storage based on the previous deduplication hardware we were using, although scalability can become an issue once you grow past the capacity of a single cluster pair.

What is most valuable?

Deduplication and many integration options ie. NAS, VTL, Catalyst.

How has it helped my organization?

It's reduced costs for storage based on the previous deduplication hardware we were using.

We've been using it for two years alongside HP Data Protector.

Scalability can become an issue once you grow past the capacity of a single cluster pair. This will mean additional controllers and licensing and can be fairly costly.

Very good support for the hardware.

We moved from the previous solution due to the support cost of the old product.

How was the

Server, Storage and Virtualisation Manager at Raytheon Australia
It allows us to centrally control and store all backup data with minimal effort and administration, although performance during restores needs improvement.

What other advice do I have?

We do not have much experience with other disk backup solutions. The Federated Catalyst Replication and the deduplication ratios obtained are amazing. As an example, we only keep two weeks of daily backups and six weeks of weekly backups on disk, and have over 470 backups from around the country stored at Datacentre A which equates to over 140TB of data that consumes less than 13TB on disk. The dedupe ratio is 10.7:1. This ratio grows even larger as retention periods are increased. We are still fine-tuning our retention periods and will likely be doubling them within the next six months. The…
Senior Manager at a hospitality company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Video Review
I like that we don't have to go to a separate console to manage StoreOnce and another one for our backup application.

What other advice do I have?

That's not only HP, it's the support. We get pre sales support, we get post sale support. We get it in the implementation, so not just the product, but it's the people behind the product as well. If I had a peer asking me about the StoreOnce, I'm a technical consultant from background so I'd asked him what problem are they trying to solve and make sure they got the right one. With StoreOnce, it's not a point solution. It has to fit well into your environment. You have to understand what problems are you trying to solve so that you implement it properly. We had to integrate like in our case, we…
Storage Supervisor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Video Review
It's a stepping stone to get a lot of our backups done without the use of tape. Other than sheer capacity in terms of size, the throughput has been adequate.
Manager, Enterprise Computing at a individual & family service with 1,001-5,000 employees
We can backup our exchange server and files, but its integration could be better to keep up with the competition.

What other advice do I have?

Look elsewhere – you can’t change something once you have it, and it accomplishes what it needs to, but it's not leading edge enough to address the new technologies out there.
CEO with 51-200 employees
We wanted to deliver short backup times and provide client’s systems with immunity from backup errors; enables companies to automate backup processes.
One of our outsourcing services is to replicate the customer’s backup to our backup center. It’s aimed at customers who run their own server room and business critical systems that require daily backup but who can’t afford to have their own secondary datacenters. We sought a solution that would allow our customers to perform simple and fully automated backup. Additionally, the new solution would also help customers to replicate data to our datacenter, ensuring that remotely stored copies of their backup data are held off-site. We needed a solution that would provide safe data storage for itself and its clients, ensure continuity of operation in the event of a disaster and enable it to extend its service offering. We also wanted an application that would deliver short backup times and…
Operational database administrator at American University of Beirut Medical Center
Each application has its own virtual library to increase the deduplication ratio.

Valuable Features:

It has very simple architecture compared to the old HP VLS It also provides ease of management and is easy to configure

Improvements to My Organization:

Room for Improvement:

Dedupe algorithms More control from HP data protector software

Use of Solution:

We've installed three StoreOnce appliances.

Deployment Issues:

Until now we did not have any problems with StoreOnce. However, have had a problem with the HP Data Protector. In order to import tapes from StoreOnce, we had to identify the ID of the items in each store on the appliances, and then create them manually on the HP Data Protector.

Other Advice:

I would advise you that if they have a remote site, (e.g.…
Senior IT Manager, Data Center & PC Operations at Shields Health Care Group
Our Previous Hardware Was Starting To Fail And We Needed A More Stable Solution

What other advice do I have?

And it’s tough to say, what I wanted to look at was the data has to be accurate. And so if we’re backing up patient data, it’s critical. I mean everybody says their data is critical, in healthcare it’s critical. If I need to restore something I need to know it’s there, I need to know where it is, I need to know I can get it fast. With the quantums we also had a tape solution in place and those tapes were offsite, sometimes it would take a couple of days to get the data back. So what the StoreOnce allowed us to do was to also get off a tape, which was important to me. I don’t trust tape, a lot…
Director of Infrastructure & Service Management at Mansfield Oil Company
Video Review
We Needed A Solution To Leverage Archiving And Provide Us With Enterprise Data Protection

What other advice do I have?

Researching advice I’d give to my peers: I would definitely say do your homework. Do a true comparison between everybody in the market. That way you will actually be able to see the benefit that HP provides at the cost point, at the total cost of ownership, ROI, and also from a performance perspective as well. Depending on who you’re using from a backup solution perspective, StoreOnce, is gonna work with anyone. Getting a full understanding of who the players are in the market, you’re gonna see that HP is definitely a major player in that space. Really understand your business, really…
Information Technology Manager at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
It efficiently provides virtual and physical backups, and can also help with product development.

What is most valuable?

Industry-leading backup Deduplication technology Efficient backup Disaster recovery operations It's very valuable for virtual backup

How has it helped my organization?

Excellent and seamless virtual and physical backup. If given the opportunity, it also helps with product development.

What needs improvement?

It needs to be more versatile to run our tests smoothly.

I've used it for one year.

It's 10/10.

Customer Service: It's 10/10. Technical…
IS technical architect at a non-profit with 501-1,000 employees
With deduplication on the virtual tape library were achieving a compression ratio of 16:1 which means we can keep the backups for six months.
Manager with 501-1,000 employees
We were previously using a different solution but our storage needs grew.

What other advice do I have?

The two things that we looked at were performance and cost. This particular product is stable, and the support has been good. If you want a reliable and reasonably-priced product, I would recommend it.
VP Enterprise Infrastructure and Architecture - Distributed Backup Engineering at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
The greatest benefit to us has been lower costs than our previous solution.

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria to look for includes: * Price * Features * Functionality * Ease of use Definitely look at this solution as a viable option as it is cost effective and reliable.
Director, IT and Operations at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
The most valuable feature is the deduplication ability, but file sharing is also really good.

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria for us is reliability. If you work for a medical research institute or something with very small files, then this solution may not be for you. Your best move is to do a POC.
Technical Operations Specialist - Server at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We are able to reduce the amount of backup tapes we need.

What is most valuable?

Faster backup and restore process Data de-duplication mechanism

How has it helped my organization?

With D2D2T appliance, and backup jobs reconfiguration we are reducing the backup tapes count. The appliance offers a fast backup and restore process, and a data replication mechanism to a remote site location. This ensure data center backups disaster recovery.

What needs improvement?

Data capacity graphical interface

I've used it for three years.

No issues during the deployment.

How are

DB Admin / LAN Specialist at a educational organization with 501-1,000 employees
The cost savings of not having to continually purchase additional shelf space has been the driving force of staying with this product.

What other advice do I have?

I've had little to no issues with either the StoreOnce 4430 device or the DataProtector software. I would highly recommend this type of backup system for enterprise environments. Read the documentation provided by HP on their website and research the web to avoid any possible issues during implementation.
Specialist-System Administrator at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
When using the dedupe feature, backups take up less space than they previously did.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend using the upgraded version of this product.
Enterprise IT Infrastructure - Team Leader at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
We switched to HP because we needed a VTL solution with deduplication.

What is most valuable?

VTL with deduplication because with deduplication, you can have spare storage space.

What needs improvement?

Interoperability with other vendors backup software.

I've used it for two and a half years.

In the beginning, we had a lot of problems with bad firmware.

We had problems with the various firmware versions.

No issues scaling the product.

Customer Service: It is very high. Technical Support: Customer service is very high.

We…
Infrastructure Technician at a university with 501-1,000 employees
We previously used Symantec Backup-Exec to LTO-4 tape. We needed a more scalable solution that was faster and allowed replication off-site nightly at a much quicker rate.

What other advice do I have?

If you work for an educational institution (as I do), the potential long-term savings will easily add up compared to the short-term initial investment. Do your homework and look elsewhere and you will find it difficult to beat the product/service in terms of cost and performance
Sr Backup Administrator with 1,001-5,000 employees
We like the ability to control where the dedupe takes place and the replication between data centers and smaller credit centers.

What other advice do I have?

Don’t get the B6200 get the 6500 even if you have to start small in terms of storage. You can add on as you need it.
IT Technical Architect at a university with 501-1,000 employees
It has given us the ability to run data straight from the device in case of a disaster.

What other advice do I have?

It is worth buying HP installation. It is difficult to estimate how much storage is needed as de-duplication depends on the type of data, so reserve extra money for expansions, and buy a model which can be expanded. Also, the StoreOnce course is very good.
IT Manager, Compute & Storage at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Multiple data types can be isolated and segregated to provide multi-tenancy.

What is most valuable?

The product was easy for me in terms of architecture, deployment and support. In comparison to other products I have worked with, these areas for HP have high scores.

How has it helped my organization?

It has provided flexible options accommodating a broad range of uses. For example, multiple data types can be isolated and segregated to provide multi-tenancy.

What needs improvement?

Reporting needs to be worked on.

I've used it for one year.

No issues encountered.

Yes we did, but it was resolved with a software upgrade.

No issues encountered.…
Coördinator at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It has provided us with easier and faster backup, and recovery solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Deduplication ratio depends on your data types. Do a Proof of Concept with the free VSA to test the product.
Network Administrator at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Scalability: we have had to expand the capacity and there were no issues.

What is most valuable?

Dedupe - it allows us to store several hundred TB of data on 60TB of storage Replication - it is a must so the backup data can be replicated off-site in the event of a disaster

How has it helped my organization?

It has reduced the amount of backup data stored on disk.

What needs improvement?

It could be better at dedupe.

I've used the solution for two years.

No issues encountered.

Six months after purchasing StoreOnce, the database became corrupt and the unit had to be replaced.

We have had to expand the capacity and there were no issues. …
Head of Data Centre at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
The tiering functionality saves the company money; system automatically decides to which storage type the data should be written.
Due to growth, our data centre, including storage, reached its limits. Two key requirements for the new infrastructure were scalability and flexibility, to allow the IT side of mergers to run as efficiently as possible. Reliability with an up-time of at least 99.9 per cent was also essential. Data restore following a technical or logic error needed to be considerably faster than in the past. We also wanted to achieve as high a level of standardisation as possible so we could easily outsource the systems to a housing provider if this became necessary in the future. Following a detailed tender and selection process, we concluded that an HP Converged Infrastructure could fulfill our requirements. The deciding factor was the way the backup solution worked with the storage system in the…
Solutions Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Initial configuration into the network needs improvement but deduplication features are valuable.

What other advice do I have?

Read up on the solution, there are a lot of advantages in this product, all depends on your environment, if you are one of those companies that has a lot of tapes and different locations, it could definitely be something for you. The deduplication is great on this solution, no more TB's of wasted space, send deduplicated backup data over those expensive leased lines saving bandwidth, and so on...
Consultant at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Deduplication Alghorithams still require enhancement but it has a very flexible integration with HP Data Protector.

What other advice do I have?

It is better to opt for HP implementation services also.
Owner with 51-200 employees
Entry level model, even more disk space would be valuable.

Valuable Features

Data deduplication.

Improvements to My Organization

Backups are much more optimized, and we can take more backups and more often because of data deduplication.

Room for Improvement

This is an entry level model, even more disk space would be valuable.

Use of Solution

HP StoreOnce 2620 iSCSI Backup Storage - 1 year

So far, no.

No. This is an entry level model, and this one cannot be scaled.

Customer Service: Very good. Technical Support: Very good.

Straightforward.

Implementation Team

In-house.

Other Solutions Considered

No, this was the first choice, based on internet reviews.

Other Advice

Highly recommended the…
Principle Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Adhoc restores are now resolved in a sensible time frame

Valuable Features:

Deduplication

Improvements to My Organization:

Adhoc restores are now resolved in a sensible time frame

Room for Improvement:

Initial setup is done via ssh connection and not web based, and the web based management is a little less appealing visually than the previous incarnation

Use of Solution:

18 months

Deployment Issues:

Stability Issues:

Scalability Issues:

Initial Setup:

Straight forward enough after reading the manual

Implementation Team:

In-house

ROI:

3 years

Other Advice:

Go for it
Download our free Deduplication Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Dell EMC, Veritas, and more!