IBM API Connect Overview

IBM API Connect is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Integration Platform as a Service providers. It is most often compared to Apigee: IBM API Connect vs Apigee

What is IBM API Connect?
The IBM API Management family of products gives you software tools to create, manage and share application programming interfaces (APIs) in a secure, scalable environment. Available in both on-premises and cloud solutions, its detailed analytics and operational metrics allow you to monitor API usage to ensure that the developers' needs Ð and applications using the API Ð are being met.
IBM API Connect Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM API Connect Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

IBM API Connect Customers
M2M Technologies Inc.
IBM API Connect Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM API Connect pricing:
  • "API Connect is quite pricey."
  • "I haven't seen anyone go from on-premise to the cloud. In fact, I am seeing people go from the cloud to on-premise because the costs can quickly grow on the cloud."
  • "It is expensive when compared to other products in this class. There were no extra fees for add-ons or technical support."

KH
Manager Shared Integration Platform at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Offers a good SLA, with technical support available to help, but lacks documentation

What is our primary use case?

Right now, our use cases are all internal. It's all API socialization internally. With version 10, we'd like to go externally with an actual API marketplace, however, we haven't gone there yet. I don't publish; I manage infrastructure. My role is to implement the infrastructure, maintain it, and enable the developers to leverage the technology.

• "The solution offers a pretty good SLA."
  • "We've had some issues upgrading to the latest version of the solution."

What other advice do I have?

We are a direct customer and end-user. We aren't a partner of IBM. We're not using the latest version of the solution right now. We have in production the original version - which I believe is Version 5.0. It was the original version. We worked all those years since 2018 and we're having some challenges to go to Version 10 which is the latest version. Overall, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten.
AdemolaOsindero
CEO at Lopworks Limited
Reduces costs with faster integrations

What is our primary use case?

We have implemented this for four or five banks in Nigeria. The bulk of our clients are banks. We need determine if there are transaction capabilities from their back-end applications. If so, then we consume their APIs. For example, we have a logistics company who uses the bank's back-end API to complete their payments. We specialize in application and cloud integration. We have clients deployed on-premise, on the cloud, and with hybrid cloud.

• "Our version supports containerized integration. I can write APIs, which can be moved into a testing environment without needing a forklift. It can check if APIs are compliant before moving them into production."
  • "There are issues with upgrading in the cloud version. The cloud version is extremely buggy. We prefer to use the on-premise version."

What other advice do I have?

The client needs to understand the service to use it. They need to make sure that they have the back-end infrastructure to support API Connect. API Connect is known for its light front-end system. Therefore, it depends on what system it connects to on the back-end. It is important to know how it connects to the back-end. We are not using Cloud Pak, as it is still too new. We are using it in the lab. I would rate the solution as a nine (out of 10).
Learn what your peers think about IBM API Connect. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AR
Lead Architect at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Saves us a lot of time and provides a solid structure for anyone wanting to develop an API

What is our primary use case?

Our use case for this solution, depending on the API Connect centralized team, is for registering any APIs. Once those are there, the main idea is that they have to be reusable and available like a global platform rather than just internal to your applications. API Connect does that, you register your API and it is available. Anybody who wants to use that function or that API can now go through API Connect with the current credentials and get access to your API. I'm a lead architect and we are customers of IBM API Connect.

• "Security is well organized and managed within the solution."
  • "Different versions of the same thing can mean unnecessary duplication."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend trying this product. From a cloud perspective it's there, and from a management of API perspective, all that authentication authorization is quite strong. It's a complete product that you can implement and get a centralized repo of the APIs that you can use enterprise wide. If any other enterprise project comes up, it's worth checking what exists rather than automatically developing from scratch. The solution is very easy to use. It's not really complicated, at least for those who are already familiar with some IBM products. We didn't have a problem getting it up…
Augustine Ayo
Middleware Solution Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Its dashboard allows us to see where transactions are coming from

What is our primary use case?

We are a financial services provider. We have services that we expose for things like investments, policy management, and so on. We have put this on an API Gateway to be able to aggregate all the things that we do for different types of clients with whom we engage.

• "It is quite stable. We've not had any problem. It has made for a good buy because we are finding that other companies that have similar set ups go down maybe once a month."
  • "I would like to see support for non-Java based services. We struggle a bit to be able to deploy and connect our .NET services because of things like data types. We had to map a couple of things. For one solution provider, we had to move them to .NET Core before we could use it properly. I would like to see more agnostic tool service platforms rather than moving it more towards Java or open source."

What other advice do I have?

To cut down on your implementation time, read the documentation. It's long but explanatory. I would rate this solution as an eight (out of 10).
Ashutosh Aggarwal
Vice President at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Helps with API monetization but needs improvement in design time setup

What is our primary use case?

It is the go-to solution for API repository products. We use it for runtime by designing certain products, and those products are subscribed to by various consuming systems.

• "We really like the runtime capabilities of IBM API Connect. The creation of products and the control of the monetization and hit rate are some of the features which we've found very valuable."
  • "The design time setup has a lot of customizable fields, but we need certain standard fields to be added, such as what all of the consuming systems are. This needs to be very clearly articulated during the design time."

What other advice do I have?

I would urge others to use both design time and runtime and not just use it as a repository. I would suggest that they utilize the runtime features, which are pretty strong. First, they can secure your API ecosystem. Second, they have very good monetizing capabilities, which allow you to design products and see who accesses those products. Usage-based and storage-based restriction capabilities are present, which are probably some of the best on the market today. So, I would really urge people to just go beyond the design time and also utilize API Connect in runtime as well. On a scale from one…
OG
Consultant at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Robust with an easy initial setup and good stability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for a bank. It's used for the operations portion of the bank. It's primarily used for the review of the personnel in your accounts et cetera. It's for many operations for the bank.

• "The interface is very nice. It makes the solution easy to use and navigate."
  • "The documentation needs to be a bit better."

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend the solution to other users and organizations due to the fact that it is very, very easy to use. The product is good, however, that said, they need to pay more attention to their documentation and support. Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We have largely been satisfied with the solution and its capabilities. We are IBM partners.
HG
Associate Director, Cloud Architect at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Stable with good functionalities and works well overall

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used as the API gateway. It's for the application that performs the function as the API for the consumer.

• "The functionalities on offer are very good."
  • "The solution would be better if it had cloud functionalities."

What other advice do I have?

I'm considering migrating API Connect to Azure. I'm still doing the assessment for this product. That is due to the fact that the move to the cloud is just not only for this product. We have a lot of products in terms of the customer's applications. I need to assess everything together and then propose to my end customer. I'm a vendor. I do assessments for my customer. I wouldn't recommend this solution to other organizations at this time. It's on-premises and everyone is moving to the cloud. It makes more sense to seek out a cloud solution. Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out…
DR
Team Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Provide APIs, manage their exposure, and affect monetization all in one product

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this product was doing a project for the banking industry. We had to use it to help comply with PSD2 (Payment Services Directive) regulations.

• "It is a complete all-in-one solution."
  • "It needs to be less taxing on compute resources."
  • "It is expensive within this class of products."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate IBM API Connect as an eight-out-of-ten comparing what I know to other products.
See 9 more IBM API Connect Reviews