IBM Db2 Database Overview

IBM Db2 Database is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Relational Databases. It is most often compared to SQL Server: IBM Db2 Database vs SQL Server

What is IBM Db2 Database?
DB2 Enterprise for Linux, UNIX, and Windows is the ideal data server for the most demanding workloads. New XML support is designed to help firms minimize the time and effort it takes to persist and use their XML data reducing development costs and improving business agility.

IBM Db2 Database is also known as DB2.

IBM Db2 Database Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM Db2 Database Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

IBM Db2 Database Customers
Knorr-Bremse, Mizuho Bank Ltd., Australian Government Department of Defence, SCHWENK Zement, Friedhelm Loh Group, YAZAKI Europe Limited, Ekornes ASA, Baldor Electric, VSN Systemen BV, Lion Brewery (Ceylon) PLC, PLANSEE Group, TE Connectivity, Hansgrohe SE, Openmatics, University of Toronto
IBM Db2 Database Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

JK
CTO at Jutel
It is a very reliable product. The backups and assistance are good.

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is for media management purposes.

• "Some of the most valuable features are the scaling from a small very cheap installation to a very large enterprise installation. In addition, the backups and assistance are good."
  • "The initial set up was complex."

What other advice do I have?

I suggest to anyone considering this solution to get hands-on experience with the solution, and run some tests and pilots. When evaluating a solution like this one, you must consider the product itself, the support available and how common or popular the product is. I find that if it is a popular product, that means there are a lot of people who know the product well, and it's easy to do work with that particular product.
VP of IT at a financial services firm
​Scales well enough for a relational database and has a good, stable performance

• "It has a good, stable performance."
  • "​Scales well enough for a relational database."
  • "Do not use support. Freely available documentation is a bit weak.​"
  • "​Not very solid compared to its competitors' products.​"
  • "Some of the internal rearrangement in the administration is not as straightforward as it is in competing products."

What other advice do I have?

Prototype any use of fringe functionality, XML-specific handling, JSON Processing, NoSQL Extensions, etc.
Learn what your peers think about IBM Db2 Database. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
501,151 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Enterprise Solutions Architect at Intercom Enterprises
Stability, scalability and security with high performance.

What is our primary use case?

Internet & Mobile banking database E-Payroll & E-Statement solutions Website database

What other advice do I have?

I recommend it to medium-to-large enterprise applications
DB2 DBA at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
​A lot of scalability can be done in DB2, it only depends on the money you want to invest in that and on the functions that you really need. It can go from a free database to a very big infrastructure

What other advice do I have?

If you are creating a small budget project, DB2 could be your first option. You have almost no limits with the Community-C edition (the free one), and then you can scale up to a supported version. Instead, when you have a very big infrastructure, I recommend you to check what you need, then DB2 could be a very good option.
Security Analyst at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The most valuable features automated security administration and reporting

What other advice do I have?

If your computing budget allows you to get automated security and audit products for your mainframe environment and the applications that run on it, you are fortunate. It is then your responsibility to maximize the software investment to insure all resources on the mainframe platform are adequately protected. Truth be told, companies using mainframes spend a lot of money on not just hardware, but the software (DB2/RACF/etc.), that runs on it. It goes without saying that any mainframe installation with DB2 and RACF needs reliable security products to administer the environment provide security…
Mainframe Application Analyst / Developer at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
All parts of storage mediums, including VSAM and sequential files to make the system work.
VMware & Storage Design Lead at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Before installing DB2, make sure full planning is done regarding scalability and performance requirements

What other advice do I have?

Define their use cases as exactly as they can, then look at what DB fits them. I have seen the app/database team deploy Oracle/MS-SQL when something really simple like MySQL would have been a better option. Also, before installing DB2 make sure full planning is done regarding scalability and performance requirements. Definitely, use the planning worksheets and search the DB2 wiki’s and user forums to ensure the setup is optimal from the start, especially as far as layout is concerned. I have found in the x86 world that products seem to be installed with very little pre-installation planning…
Lead Code Wisperer at a tech vendor
If you want horizontal scaling and reliability, DB2 for i is absolutely the way to go.

What other advice do I have?

If you don't know IBM i OS, just use it for DB2 for i, and scalability, reliability, and security. Then consider using partitions for Linux for your business logic.
DBA with Oracle Database, IBM DB2 and Cloudera Hadoop project at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
On our old system...the performance and stability couldn't meet our requirements. After migrating to DB2, it's much better.
Project Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
We use it to provide for back-end DB for many proprietary applications.

What other advice do I have?

For folks looking to re-host applications that are using zOS DB2, our advice is to strictly go with IBM UDB DB2. Do not consider other options, as they usually require extensive changes in the application layer.
SAP Basis Administrator at a pharma/biotech company
HADR/TSAMP allows us to handle unplanned outages with very little user impact.

What is most valuable?

HADR/TSAMP: It makes planned downtime very manageable, and allows us to handle unplanned outages with very little user impact.

How has it helped my organization?

We use IBM DB2 as part of a SAP implementation. DB2's performance and stability has been a key factor in the success of the SAP rollout.

What needs improvement?

The diagnostic log (db2diag.log file) could be a little bit more user-friendly.

I have used this solution for 16 years.

There were no stability issues.

This is not relevant for me, we have rarely needed to build on the initial server footprint.

How is customer service and technical

Engineer at a tech services company
We replicate TSM servers' databases to the other sites with the HADR feature.

What other advice do I have?

Use InfoCenter, then DeveloperWorks, and the TechNotes. :) Do this in order to get experience.
Sr. System Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
IBM is the king of servers (Infrastructure) , IBM DB2 the king of Database Servers

What other advice do I have?

I would say that IBM DB2 is one of the topmost Database products. It has very high availability and scalability just like the other products from IBM, such as IBM Websphere server, IBM Websphere MQ Server, and IBM Websphere Datastage. IBM is the king of servers and infrastructure. You will do well going with IBM products such as DB2, Websphere. I would say that these are very stable and scalable and available products and provide much needed reliability for businesses.
Developer at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Very good, reliable and solid database server

What other advice do I have?

DB2 is a very good, reliable and solid database server with many functionalities. It may be overpriced, compared to MySQL, if the user is not using a lot of its functionalities. I believe functionality may be the primary differentiator. In my opinion, DB2 is comparable to Oracle or MSSQL in terms of features and performance.
Database Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
A useful tool due to its simple development environment and support for multiple technologies

What other advice do I have?

IBM’s DB2 is a robust relational database management system (RDBMS). Due to several advantages that DB2 offers, it continues to enjoy strong market presence. DB2 is very useful because its development environment is very simple and supporting multiple technologies with improves security other than database application. DB2 provides secure and safe environment and more improved development to enhance audit ability and security in key areas. DB2 provides hybrid data management for both relational and XML data and supports variety of platforms including, Linux, UNIX, Windows and can be used to…