Microsoft Azure API Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Azure API Management is #2 ranked solution in top API Management tools. IT Central Station users give Microsoft Azure API Management an average rating of 8 out of 10. Microsoft Azure API Management is most commonly compared to Apigee:Microsoft Azure API Management vs Apigee. Microsoft Azure API Management is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 66% of users researching this solution on IT Central Station. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 29% of all views.
What is Microsoft Azure API Management?
Microsoft Azure API Management ensures an organization's API program reaches its fullest potential. With API management, organizations can publish web services as APIs reliably, securely and at scale. Use API Management to drive API consumption among internal teams, partners, and developers while benefiting from business and operational insights available in the admin portal.

Microsoft Azure API Management was previously known as Azure API Management, MS Azure API Management.

Microsoft Azure API Management Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Azure API Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Microsoft Azure API Management Customers
adnymics GmbH, LG CNS, Centrebet, netfabb GmbH, MedPlast, Accelera Solutions, Sochi Organizing Committee, realzeit GmbH, Opensistemas
Microsoft Azure API Management Video

Archived Microsoft Azure API Management Reviews (more than two years old)

LS
Chief Technical Lead at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
Very easy to set up a new solution and to deploy it to production

• "The ease of setting up a new solution is the most valuable feature. It's very easy to set up a new solution and to deploy it to production."
  • "The developer console for external users could be improved, especially in the testing site."

What is our primary use case?

We use the cloud model. Our primary use case is for integration between different systems. There are many use cases for the API management tool, but the most common scenario is integration between different systems.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The developer console for external users could be improved, especially in the testing site. I would like to see the security management for the APIs to be more granular.

I have been using this solution for a year and a half.

It is very stable.

It's quite scalable. We've tested it in different little scenarios and it's quite scalable.

For deployment, I would advise a specialist. There is no need to dedicate any staff to the maintenance of the solution.

I would rate their technical support an eight out of ten. It could use a bit of improvement.

I previously used RabbitMQ for another project. Both solutions have different approaches. One can work on-premises. On the whole, I still prefer is Azure API Management. I believe it's an easier solution set up and run.

The initial setup was very straightforward and simple. The deployment only took a few hours.

I deployed the solution myself.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to someone considering it. I would rate it a nine out of ten.

it_user692298
Business Integration Architect & managing partner at a tech services company
Policies allow us to control and enrich the API behavior without code changes.

• "Monitoring: It gives us a detailed overview of how clients are using the API and it allows us to see the consumption trends in real-time."
  • "The documentation and configuration of APIs."
  • "There were no scalability issues."
  • "Security could be improved."

What is most valuable?

• Monitoring: It gives us a detailed overview of how clients are using the API and it allows us to see the consumption trends in real-time.
  • Policies: It allows us to control and enrich the API behavior without the need to make code changes
  • The documentation and configuration of APIs.

How has it helped my organization?

Internally, we use this product to give our employees a catalog of all the APIs that we implemented over the years. They get detailed documentation on how to use those APIs and can develop their own solutions on top.

What needs improvement?

Security could be improved.

I have used this solution for a year.

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

I would give the technical support team a rating of eight out of 10 .

The setup was straightforward, setting up a basic API management portal is only a few clicks in the Azure Portal. Once it is set up, the APIs can directly be added by just importing the Swagger file.

The developer and standard pricing tiers of Azure API Management are very competitive compared to other products. If a customer wants to expose their internal APIs to the Azure API Management Portal, then they would require a VPN connection which requires the Premium Pricing tier. This can be expensive and we currently recommend our customers to not use a VPN connection, i.e., if they don’t need additional Premium features; and we suggest they expose their APIs publicly through other technologies such as the relay services.

What other advice do I have?

Learn how policies work since this is where the real added value of Azure API Management is.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure API Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sr Software Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It offers API gateway features and AD integration. An IaaS option should also be offered.

What is most valuable?

• API gateway features
  • AD integration
  • Access management capabilities
  • Usage plans
  • Quotas for APIs, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a simple and effective way to enable micro-services architecture. The Standard Tier is cost effective.

What needs improvement?

• An IaaS option is needed. The SaaS option limited our requirement, as we wanted more control on our data, and integration with our virtual LAN. Integration with our VLAN was possible only with the premium version and expensive gateway controllers.
  • PCI compliance

I evaluated it for one month.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is 7/10.

I did not previously use a different solution. However, I evaluated other API gateways and shortlisted ForgeRock - OpenAM/OpenIG, because it has an IaaS option.

Initial setup was fairly straightforward; excellent documentation.

The Standard Tier is cost effective.

Before choosing this product, I evaluated NGINX, Apigee, and ForgeRock (OpenAM/OpenIG).

What other advice do I have?

Code impact: Required services to import Swagger library.

Being SaaS, if you are running services on IaaS, communication between APIM and your services will be through the public internet (if that’s a cause of concern).

APIM was available in classic mode only (as of April 2016). Our infrastructure was ARM. Connectivity was complex and expensive.

it_user208704
Senior .Net Developer at a university with 51-200 employees
It's easy to setup and have something going within an hour but configuration exporting from the Admin portal needs work.

What is most valuable?

The ability to manage user access to given API operations.

• Visibility on user usage analytics
  • Set policies across API operations, which control the type of access (CORS, JSONP)
  • The ability to piece together an array of services into one proxied service. Where I can create consistency to both usage and documentation

How has it helped my organization?

We were securely able to offer services to external third parties to securely consume within a relatively short amount of time.

What needs improvement?

• Versioning of API operations (which I have heard is in the pipeline)
  • Easy exporting of configurations from the Administrator portal.

I've used it for around six months or so.

I did follow the prescribed steps to export our Test subscription setup to import into a production subscription environment, but I was unable to achieve the export within the short amount of time I had to achieve it. So to get around the issue, I just manually configured it in the production environment as part of the release.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

Didn't use them.

10/10, as our Microsoft account manager arranged direct contact with members of the API Management Team.

No previous solution used.

Pretty easy. The online documentation is very thorough.

In-house implementation.

The product probably saved us at least two to four sprints worth of extra work, which would not have achieved the quality, which this PAS provides us, out of the box.

Nothing. Day to Day costs are very minimal, tens of dollars a month or so depending on peaks of usage.

No. I was evaluating Azure PAS offerings and producing proof of concept solutions just before the project kicked off.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely check it out. The documentation is plentiful and it is pretty easy to setup and have something going within an hour or so.

Product Categories
API Management
Download our free Microsoft Azure API Management Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.