NetApp Cloud Insights Overview

NetApp Cloud Insights is the #13 ranked solution of our top Cloud Monitoring Software. It is rated 4.4 out of 5 stars, and is most often compared to VMware Tanzu Observability by Wavefront: NetApp Cloud Insights vs VMware Tanzu Observability by Wavefront

What is NetApp Cloud Insights?

NetApp Cloud Insights is an infrastructure monitoring tool that gives you visibility into your complete infrastructure. With Cloud Insights, you can monitor, troubleshoot and optimize all your resources including your public clouds and your private data centers.

NetApp Cloud Insights Buyer's Guide

Download the NetApp Cloud Insights Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2020

NetApp Cloud Insights Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about NetApp Cloud Insights pricing:
  • "Be aware of the capacity licensing and understand how that works, because it is based on capacity. Getting an understanding of that is the biggest thing."
  • "The licensing model could be improved. We love that you can use it for free for looking at NetApp products. You only need licenses to look at non-NetApp products, but as soon as you do that, you start utilizing licenses that actually would have been free in the public. So, there is a bit of an anomaly in the licensing model."

NetApp Cloud Insights Reviews

Phillip Graves
Director of IT at Quality Distribution
Nov 3, 2020
Helps us to see interdependencies, overlay latency between two completely separate systems, and query application performance

What is our primary use case?

We use it primarily to look at both performance and security around our NetApp Filers. I know it can expand to other entities within the NetApp, but we really focus on looking at our Filers and using Cloud Secure to see potential ransomware attacks, unauthorized changes to files, and deletions. It's a SaaS solution hosted by NetApp.

• "Cloud Secure is definitely the most valuable feature and being able to see file level activity. It gives real-time alerting on possible ransomware attacks and provides file security review. It helps us to see if something abnormal is happening on the system before it's too late."
  • "In a perfect world we would have something built, right out-of-the-box, that can identify what we call "noise," and reduce the amount of data. You're presented with so much data when you first start the data collectors. For example, it brings back a lot of change rates that happen just because of standard computing, like profile changes and that sort of thing. Being able to identify things like that and categorize them and strip it down—and it probably can do that, I just haven't gotten there yet—would be very beneficial."

What other advice do I have?

Work with NetApp to get the best support possible. The biggest lesson I've learned from using the solution has been understanding the relational side of things, how our nodes interact with each other, and how applications can affect multiple nodes in our environment. It's helped us to load balance to make our environment more efficient. Because it was so easy to deploy I would rate it a 10 out of 10.
Ed Alexander
Senior Systems Administrator at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Aug 20, 2020
Advanced analytics enable us to look at trending and detect where there are issues or potential issues

What is our primary use case?

We're using it for monitoring and managing all of the NetApp storage in our environment, both in the cloud and on-prem. We are expanding it to use it with our virtualized environment and with our in-house storage environments.

• "Among the most valuable features are the queries and reporting that allow us to look at the utilization of resources, at how well the storage is performing, and to report on which resources are being used by which business units. We can track usage across the entire environment, across applications, business units, cost centers, etc."
  • "There is room for improving the creating and managing or modifying of reports. That is still a difficult task to do and requires knowledge beyond the storage itself. I would love to see reporting improved so that we can create reports by dragging and dropping pieces into a report form and publish a report that way."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to take a look at it, do a PoC, and see all the value that it can add, and all the power that it provides. We rely on it to manage the storage, to look at trending, and determine where we're going to have problems. We can deal with things before they become problems. That's probably the most powerful thing that we get out of it. I don't think a day goes by that we don't utilize it.
Learn what your peers think about NetApp Cloud Insights. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2020.
448,775 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Alex Tsoi
Information Technology Consultant at TELUS Corporation
Oct 14, 2020
Enables us to easily nail, locate, and resolve performance issues that would have been very hard to identify

What is our primary use case?

The main benefit of NetApp Cloud Insights is that it's agentless. It just collects information from the SNMP protocol. We had NetApp ONTAP installed and we paired with VMware. The biggest challenge for any company is to find the bottleneck on the Edge of the technologies, like between VMware and NetApp. Both products have great reporting and monitoring tools, but whenever it comes to finding issues on the Edge between those products, you can hardly identify whether it's a storage issue or whether it's a virtualization issue. NetApp Cloud Insights greatly blends the performance data… more »

• "Its ability to quickly inventory our resources, figure out interdependencies across them, and assemble a topology of your environment is brilliant. There is a price associated with it. Whenever you target a NetApp environment, it is included in the price but whenever you want to add different vendors, like VMware and Cisco, the price greatly spikes. Inventorization helps us a lot to visualize the environment."
  • "Their pricing model needs improvement."

What other advice do I have?

The biggest lesson I have learned is that basic licensing that is free, is useless. That is the biggest lesson. The basic free Cloud Insights does everything, but only with NetApp products, and this information alone doesn't add value to our troubleshooting. I would rate NetApp Cloud Insights a nine out of ten. I really liked the product. I would have bought it if it wasn't for the cost. I had a perfect business case for it but it didn't work out.
reviewer1380831
Storage Engineer at a media company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Aug 20, 2020
Handy for root cause analysis, but there are some anomalies in the licensing model

What is our primary use case?

It is for long-term tracking of performance information. I am also looking at the interaction between NetApp systems and non-NetApp systems. It's only really being used for the storage, and to a limited extent, our VMware. It is maybe being used once or twice a day at most. We're not using it actively. We are just using it in kind of a testing phase.

• "It is good for giving an overview of the systems and for tracking long-term trends. It is handy for root cause analysis, e.g. it can eliminate whether storage is the cause of an issue."
  • "When I did need support because I was having problems with the solution, the first or the second line just didn't understand it. They were providing this only on a software as a service basis. So, they were asking all the wrong questions."

What other advice do I have?

It is worth a small amount of effort to activate at the free tier: To see whether there is anything there which might help your business. Then, if you feel there will be stuff there, then maybe you can look at getting some licensing for the non-NetApp side of it. I would rate this product as a seven out of 10.
Product Categories
Cloud Monitoring Software
Download our free NetApp Cloud Insights Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.