Nutanix AHV Overview

Nutanix AHV is the #9 ranked solution in our list of best Server Virtualization Software. It is most often compared to Proxmox VE: Nutanix AHV vs Proxmox VE

What is Nutanix AHV?

Nutanix makes infrastructure invisible, elevating IT to focus on the applications and services that power their business. The Nutanix enterprise cloud platform leverages web-scale engineering and consumer-grade design to natively converge compute, virtualization and storage into a resilient, software-defined solution with rich machine intelligence. The result is predictable performance, cloud-like infrastructure consumption, robust security, and seamless application mobility for a broad range of enterprise applications.

Nutanix AHV Buyer's Guide

Download the Nutanix AHV Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

Nutanix AHV Customers

JetBlue, International Speedway Corporation, SAIC Volkswagen

Nutanix AHV Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Nutanix AHV pricing:
  • "The most valuable feature of this solution is that there is no licensing fee."
  • "We don't have to pay extra for Acropolis because it is built into Nutanix."
  • "Some of the features required additional licenses."

Nutanix AHV Reviews

Syed FasihUr Rahman
Enterprise Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Oct 17, 2019
User-friendly interface and no licensing fees, but technical support needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integration company and we sell hyper-converged infrastructure as the new model data center technology. This is one of the solutions that we provide to our customers. This solution can be deployed on-premises or in a cloud-based environment, but the majority of deployments are on-premises.

• "The interface is very good, and quite user-friendly."
  • "The technical support for this solution needs to be improved in terms of response time."

What other advice do I have?

This is the number one hyper-converged solution in the market. No doubt about it. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
reviewer1227639
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Nov 22, 2020
Good support, easy to manage, and it scales with just one click

• "The most valuable feature is manageability."
  • "My storage use is doubled; if I am creating a one TB virtual machine then my storage policy will take two TB from my cluster."

What other advice do I have?

I will recommend it because it is easy to manage, and you don't need to be skilled for that. You don't need any training at all. If you spend one or two days dedicated to Prism, you will get to know everything. This includes how to create VMs, how to manage storage, how to manage the client-server, how to monitor the entire cluster, and there are lots of algorithms available. this means that you don't need to configure things like a Hyper-V or ESXi. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Nutanix AHV. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
465,836 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Volkan Sert
Technical Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Dec 19, 2019
Gives us the flexibility to not worry about the scalability of the systems

• "In terms of features, Acropolis is a good virtualization manager and that it is on-premise. I use almost every technology they provide."
  • "Lacks integration with the cloud or other solutions."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from 1 to 10 I would rate it a 9 - I believe there is always room for improvement.
reviewer1227537
Sr. Lead Consultant - Infrastructure | Virtualization & Cloud Computing | SDN |NFV at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 22, 2020
Good monitoring and reporting, and has helped reduce our costs

• "The most valuable feature is the integration between storage and compute services."
  • "In the next release of this solution, I would like to see support for containerization."

What other advice do I have?

There are rumors around the globe that suggest Nutanix cannot be used for heavy software. However, I have tested it on all levels and it performs well. I have used it for big data and it works great. The biggest lesson that I have learned when using this solution is related to the sizing of the system. If you define your requirements accurately then you will not see any issues in terms of performance. This means that it is very important to know what you want and what kind of applications will be hosted on Nutanix. You should also understand the use case for Nutanix, itself. When you…
CHARBEL RIZK
IT Infrastracture Manager at International College
Feb 23, 2020
A stable solution that is easy to set up and is a significant improvement over our traditional data center

• "This solution is very stable and it has been running for the last three months, with no issues."
  • "In terms of improvement, I think that they could have more partnerships with providers."

What other advice do I have?

We are comparing to the traditional system that had many problems. I think that all of these problems have been resolved with Nutanix AHV. At this time, as I have only been using it for three months, I am not able to say that there is room for improvement, especially since I am judging and basing it on a comparison with the old system. It has addressed all of the issues we were facing. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
reviewer1329306
Vice President of Information Technology at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Aug 30, 2020
Easy to troubleshoot and resolve problems, but there are compatibility problems with other software

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is as an application server.

• "The entirety of the infrastructure resides in the same product, which makes it easy to troubleshoot and investigate problems."
  • "It worked well in the beginning but after using it for some time, we found some limitations in terms of compatibility with other software."

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that is certainly good for some use cases, but it is not the best. It would be better if the compatibility with applications like third-party backup software was improved. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
LudwigPenny
PaaS Engineer at JSE Limited
Mar 23, 2020
Performance is good, management of the systems is pretty easy, and upgrading is seamless

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-prem deployment model and our primary use case for this solution is for virtualization. We also use it for Calm & Karbon.

• "The most valuable aspect of this solution is that you don't need to pay for it, it's free, as opposed to paying for a VMware license."
  • "They need to work on the deployment of virtual machines. They need to streamline the process of templates and deploying virtual machines."

What other advice do I have?

It's a great product. It's relatively easy to use and it works well. Everyone that's moved their machines onto that platform says they are amazed by the performance. It works very well. Performance is good, management of the systems is pretty easy, upgrading and all that stuff is seamless. It's a great platform and I would recommend it to anyone. I would rate it a nine out of ten.
Kovit Thakral
i-Security Engineer at M.Tech
Feb 29, 2020
Simple to use, supports many different operating systems, and has good management features

What is our primary use case?

We are distributors and to meet with our clients' requirements, it supports many OS systems. It monitors and protects the entire system.

• "Simplicity is the most valuable feature."
  • "When we need to share, publish, or encrypt something, we still need to perform it using the command line."

See 3 more Nutanix AHV Reviews