Parasoft SOAtest Overview

Parasoft SOAtest is the #9 ranked solution in our list of top API Testing Tools. It is most often compared to SonarQube: Parasoft SOAtest vs SonarQube

What is Parasoft SOAtest?
Parasoft SOAtest is widely recognized as the leading enterprise-grade solution for API testing and API integrity. Thoroughly test composite applications with robust support for REST and web services, plus an industry-leading 120+ protocols/message types.

Parasoft SOAtest is also known as SOAtest.

Download the Functional Testing Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Parasoft SOAtest Customers
Lufthansa, Siemens, DirecTV, NZ Bank
Parasoft SOAtest Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Senior Technical Consultant at Adobe
Leaderboard
Improved the quality of our automated web services

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for adopting Parasoft SOAtest is to test web services/middleware testing (SOAP/REST/MQ/SAP RFC/EDI/FTP). Inbuilt support: * REST: WADL and JSON. * SOAP: WSDL. * SAP RFC * Message queuing supported: JMS, MQ, and NET WCF. * Protocols supported: TCP/IP, FTP, EDI, WSDL, WADL, WS-*, UDDI, RMI, EJB, webMethods, TIBCO, SMTP, and custom. * Languages Supported: Java, JavaScript, Groovy, Jython * Virtualization * Third-party tool integration (plug and play) * Stored procedure testing and DB validation * UI recording through Selenium WebDriver. * I've used this solution for more than… more »

• "Parasoft SOAtest has improved the quality of our automated web services, which can be easily implemented through service chaining and service virtualization."
  • "We can automate our scenarios in a data driven format, which shows there is no rework on scripts. We only need to update the test data and run for a number of scenarios."
  • "Reports could be customized and more descriptive according to the user's or company's requirements."

What other advice do I have?

I have been using this solution for more than six years. I have not found any issues while doing automation.
Testprofessional at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Offers the possibility for continuous testing using the server-side (nightly) batch runs.

What is our primary use case?

Repeatable automated regression tests in a SOA architecture IT landscape, for several SOAP/REST webservices including Web Gui end-to-end testing, all scenario-based for 10+ applications. Also, scheduled for test runs at night, using Jenkins.

What other advice do I have?

Start off simple. Build your test setup from there. Do think about setting up some specific test cases as building blocks (reference material) for other test scenarios to use, so that the maintenance in the future is more easily done. Also be sure to read the Help function, might help you on your way when you're facing some difficulties.
Find out what your peers are saying about Parasoft, SmartBear, Tricentis and others in Functional Testing Tools. Updated: May 2021.
502,104 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Service Oriented Architecture at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Allowed us to build a large library of repeatable automated tests. The platform can become unstable as the memory usage increases.

What other advice do I have?

Keep your test scenarios small and focused rather than trying to cover an entire web service with one scenario.
Test analyst at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
the product really shines in end-to-end testing, not only because of all the built-in tools supporting this, but also because of the great extensibility of the tool.

• "If you want something that’s not provided out of the box, then you can write it yourself and integrate it with SOAtest."
  • "Reporting facilities can be better."

What other advice do I have?

Take your time to get to know SOAtest very well, don’t get put off by the steep learning curve, it’s very well worth the effort.
Testconsultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Automatic testing is the most valuable feature. Compatibility with HTTP 1.1 and TLS 1.2 needs to be improved.

What is most valuable?

Automatic testing is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

Compatibility with HTTP 1.1 and TLS 1.2 needs to be improved.

I have used SOAtest for one year.

We get a lot of time-outs and after we start the run again it goes well.

We have had scalability issues.

I rate technical support 8/10.

It was our customer’s choice to use SOAtest.

The tool is complex.

We followed our customer’s choice.

What other advice

Senior testspecialist at a government with 10,001+ employees
The Browser Playback tool records and plays back web scenarios for testing.

• "The testing time is shortened because we generate test data automatically with SOAtest."
  • "During the process of working with SOAtest and building test cases, the .TST files will grow. A negative side effect is that saving your changes takes more time."

What other advice do I have?

Invest a lot of research time into what your exact needs are. After that, select some test tools to compare all the options. In my opinion, Parasoft has so many possibilities that it must have a place on your shortlist!
Senior Consultant at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
We use the product to test the interfaces of back-end services, simulating different points of sale.

• "Every imaginable source in the entire world of information technology can be accessed and used."
  • "Enabling/disabling an optional element of an XML request is only possible if a data source (e.g., Excel sheet) is connected to the test. Otherwise, the option is not available at all in the drop-down menu."

What other advice do I have?

* Learn XML as well as XPath. * Learn Jython, a variation of Python running in the JRE. It gives you the option to import Java classes into your scripts and use the latest Java improvements, but without the type safe limitations and language complexity of Java. * Implement your scenarios from the beginning with continuous integration in mind. For relative paths everywhere, abstraction in SOAtest environments etc., use a version control system to save and version your scenarios and scripts. * Take a short course (less than one day) from the Parasoft support team to familiarize your test team…
Director Test/Quality Assurance at a media company with 10,001+ employees
We do a lot of web and REST service testing. The primary use is the Web Services layer.

• "We do a lot of web services testing and REST services testing. That is the focus of this product."
  • "The feedback that we received from the DevOps of our organization was that the tool was a little heavy from the transformation perspective."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone implementing this solution: * Work closely with the tech support so that you don't get stuck on the little things. * Since Parasoft provides tremendous tech support, work closely with them in order to get the first implementation and proof of concept done. * You can then export from there based on your needs.
Sr Manager - Quality Engineering at a tech company with 201-500 employees
Regression controls help to create a baseline response and ignore the dynamic values.

What other advice do I have?

This is the best tool for API and back-end automation.
Jr. Test Analist at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees
We can load existing .EDN and .XML messages and translate them into segments. Refreshing the software doesn’t work well when some changes are applied.

• "Generating new messages, based on the existing .EDN and .XML messages, is a crucial part or the testing project that I’m currently in."
  • "Parasoft SOAtest has an internal refresh function where you can refresh the software to show the changes you’ve made in your projects. Unfortunately this function does not work properly, because it often does not show the changes after you’ve hit te refresh button a few times."

What other advice do I have?

You need to check all the features that Parasoft SOAtest offers. If you just need a specific feature from the program, then there could be a cheaper alternative option that works just as well. (This is an assumption.) If you’re looking for a complete testing software/suite, Parasoft SOAtest is a serious option.
Bigdata Consultant & Engineering / Continuous Delivery Architect & Coaching & Engineering at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Combined with Virtualize, we can set up component tests without using the other components in the loop.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would depend on where they come from and what they want.
Owner at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It provides easy handling of RESTful API's.
QA at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Provides support for a variety of protocols including JSON.
Senior Test Automation Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Test are developed without scripting by using inbuilt utilities.
Test Analyst/Test lead at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Event Monitoring is a valuable feature that helped us in validating the backend requests for mappings and transformations.
Automation Test Coordinator at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Services are easily built within minutes and not days
Performance and Fault-tolerance Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
​It provides easy handling of RESTful API's, but more scalability is needed, especially when testing in elastics/cloud platforms.

What other advice do I have?

Even validate SOASTA tool too.
Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
SOATest is a reliable Middleware test automation tool

What is most valuable?

XML assertions, XML data bank, various tools available internallly

How has it helped my organization?

Achieved testing middleware services and automating them with the features in SOATest. API testing is made easy. Automation and regression test suite was achieved without the need to write much code.

What needs improvement?

Performance of the tool

5 years

Performance issues if there are too many sessions open on your system.

Customer Service: Good Technical Support: Good

How

Engineer at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Parasoft SOATest is the greatest tool I have ever used for testing and debugging code. We have used it for validating, testing and debugging for more than 200 Java applications in our Test Software Department. The tool is very rich in features, including setting and configuring for our customization coding standard. We can also configure it to validate and test for selected applications at a specific time and report by email, which is very effectively. I highly recommend this tool for validating, testing, and debugging software on any platform.
Vice President at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
SOATEST - Good solution for increasing efficiencies

Valuable Features

Tool offers easy ability to rapidly set up functional test scenarios The tool interface is very user friendly and the user guide is a great help Tool allows custom scripting and integrates well with most frequently used Source Control tools Utilizing features that support Data Driven testing and E2E has increased efficiencies drastically

Use of Solution

5 Years. I have used the tool mostly for Web Service Testing.

Customer Service: ParaSoft offers a great customer service, its a great combination along with a good product. Technical Support: Excellent and very approachable!
BI Expert at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Great tool for API Automation testing and performance testing
Parasoft SOAtest is a great tool for API Automation testing and performance testing. Support from Parasoft is awesome too. It's a comprehensive, collaborative test and analysis solution suite designed specifically for test and validation of Service Oriented Architectures. Parasoft SOAtest streamlines the process of rapidly constructing robust regression suites.
Senior Associate - Projects at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Super cool tool that saved us from complicated TDM tools and helped virtualizing 2 Huge Databases & Services

Improvements to My Organization

It totally gives control to the end user to play with data and deploy the changes directly and that reflects in the application.

Use of Solution

1 year

There were few hick ups in the beginning but the talented Parasoft support team helped troubleshoot the problem personally.

Yes, there were few issues, that caused the Memory out, but was resolved.

Customer Service: 5/5Technical Support: 4/5

Other Solutions Considered

Yes, there were few other tools in the plate, but this one stood out to be the best.
Architect at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Powerful, Simple, Helpful testing tool - the best I've used

Valuable Features

Recording feature for a web session simulation.

Room for Improvement

The GUI should get a facelift to make it more user-friendly. In some cases, there are simply too many windows/tabs/etc that make it difficult to get to the info you need.

Use of Solution

2 years

Customer Service: ExcellentTechnical Support: Very Good
Independent Test Automation Professional at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
SOAtest is a very powerful functional testing tool for SOA-based applications.

What other advice do I have?

Some best practices I have learned from my own experience: * There's a myriad of tools available within SOAtest. Learn to know them and how to use them. * The possibility for additional scripting is very powerful, but only use it when necessary to avoid overly complex test suites. Disclosure: The company I work for is a Parasoft partner