Ubuntu Linux Overview

Ubuntu Linux is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top OpenStack tools. It is most often compared to Oracle Linux: Ubuntu Linux vs Oracle Linux

What is Ubuntu Linux?
Super-fast, easy to use and free, the Ubuntu operating system powers millions of desktops, netbooks and servers around the world.

Ubuntu Linux is also known as Ubuntu.

Ubuntu Linux Buyer's Guide

Download the Ubuntu Linux Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Ubuntu Linux Customers
Samsung, eBay, AT&T, Walmart, Cisco, Time Warner Cable, Bloomberg, Best Buy, Dell, Intel, Microsoft, Ericsson, Orange, Wells Fargo

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Ubuntu Linux pricing:
  • "It is 100% free."
  • "It is also manageable and financially affordable."
  • "It is open source, so it is free. There is no licensing fee."
  • "I am not in a position to comment on the licensing, as we mostly make use of the free version."

DG
Technician / Network & Systems Administrator, ITAS Program at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Versatile, highly-stable, and the best-supported one by the community

What is our primary use case?

It is mainly a LAMP server with Apache, MySQL, PHP, and other things for the students to do their web development stuff. It's all done up with LDAP capabilities of getting into it. The web server side is open to the internet, so they can sit at home, VPN in, and do all their work. They can actually see what the public-facing side ends up looking like. Then we've got our main learning management system because we do our own self-hosted Moodle instance kind of thing. It's all running on a Linux server and doing well. Our DNS servers and things like that are all separate. Two of them are… more »

• "I like the fact that I can make it very secure with my own knowledge, which makes it different from Windows that does things in the background by magic, and you hope that it's secure. I like the availability of starting with Linux with totally minimal permissions for anybody and then increasing it on an as-needed basis. This is probably the most important to me."
  • "The biggest improvement, which is also applicable to Linux in general, with Ubuntu Linux is getting things standardized as to where you're going to put your configuration files and how they're going to work. Package names also need to be improved so that the package name doesn't have any match with configuration file systems and things like that. Ubuntu is still better than some of the others, such as Red Hat Linux or CentOS."

What other advice do I have?

I love using it. I'm strictly on the server-side. I've got a laptop with Ubuntu Desktop on it because we teach it here, so I might as well make sure I'm still playing with that a little bit once in a while, but I'm mainly on the server-side. It is the best-supported one by the community. I still recommend it to anybody who asks me, "What should I do here?" It's nothing about our current CentOS turning into rolling releases, which has 14 million people in an uproar because they think, "Well, it has always been so stable without rolling releases. Why would you change it?" That doesn't bother me…
ImanDarabi
CTO at GreenWeb
Many good automation features

What is our primary use case?

I use Ubuntu Linux for server administration and to manage network traffic. I set up a Linux server and router with all traffic through ease. I could limit the band rate limits of users in university. These are the main use cases. I also used Ubuntu with ZoneMinder Software. It's open-source software and we use about 700 CCTV cameras, which are IP-based. We deployed this on our servers for use on our own two operating systems. Other use cases include using it with the base cloud. I set up an openness patch on the Ubuntu Operating System. I'm familiar with Bash Scripting, Python Scripting, and… more »

• "There are many good automation features in Ubuntu."
  • "Management monitoring and interface could be better."

What other advice do I have?

Ubuntu has improved driver support and the installation of Ubuntu is really fast and easy. I recommend it to everyone. I would recommend Ubuntu over any other operating system. Ubuntu is useful for a variety of challenges, and issues. I would rate Ubuntu as 9 out of 10. It has good support and can be deployed on a cloud such as OpenStack. Ubuntu thinks about its customers and really helps them to achieve what they want. The freely available support resources of Ubuntu are really good. The good use of documentation and community forums are the major things that Ubuntu has succeeded. Ubuntu has…
Learn what your peers think about Ubuntu Linux. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Buddy Parker
Founder at Element Flux
Provides flexibility and freedom to do whatever you need to do and is highly stable and resilient

What is our primary use case?

I use it for everything. I literally use it for any activity that I would do on a computer. I use it for writing code, browsing the web, shopping, and streaming videos and music. I also use it for graphics editing and testing.

• "There is a lot of freedom and flexibility to install it really quickly. It is just very powerful in the sense that it doesn't take up as many resources to run as some of the other operating systems. It is open source, so it is free. There is no licensing fee. There is flexibility and freedom to do whatever you need to do. If you are familiar with the command line, you can jump on the command line and configure almost any part of the operating system that you want. If you are not comfortable with the command line, the graphical user interface has really improved ever since I started using Linux back in high school. It is really very simple to manage your settings and other things. You can also try out multiple desktop environments. As a matter of fact, on one of my laptops, I have installed five different desktop environments, and I can switch between them. If you don't like one, you can easily just install another one with a few commands, and you have got a whole new desktop right there, whereas, in Microsoft Windows or a Mac, you are just stuck with whatever they give you, and you have to wait until they sell you something else."
  • "Like most Linux systems, they can just keep increasing support in Ubuntu for hardware systems. They can increase the number of drivers so that Ubuntu can work on more hardware. They have been improving greatly, but they can definitely keep doing that."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution if you want a good resilient system, flexibility, and control over your operating system. You can upgrade without having to pay or even turning off the computer. You don't need to shut it down and install upgrades. You can literally upgrade to a newer distribution while using the computer for the most part. I would rate Ubuntu Linux a nine out of ten because there is always room for growth.
MahdiBahmani
Solution Architect, IT Consultant at Merdasco - Rayan Merdas Data Prosseccing
Has a simple interface and it's easy to use but it is lacking enterprise features

What is our primary use case?

Some of my customers use Red Hat, some of them use Debian, and some of them use Ubuntu. Ubuntu is popular for ordinary customers and some of our clients use Ubuntu. I have experience with most main distributions, such as SUSE, Ubuntu, Red Hat, CentOS, and Debian.

• "Ubuntu has a good interface, it is easier to use than other distribution such as CentOS or Red Hat. It's suitable for beginners who want to start learning Linux. It has a simple interface and it's easy to use."
  • "Ubuntu should create some specific features, like Red Hat. Red Hat has provided many features for open-source, like FreeIPA."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of ten.
OP
Senior architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
A stable, secure and well performing solution, but needs a better repository of packages and more synthesized information

What is our primary use case?

We mostly use the Ubuntu 14 version, although this varies from one customer to the next. We always utilize the latest stable version when embarking on a new project. We use the solution for application development and integration. We employ it as an e-commerce solution or when writing a connector between two systems, such as for website development.

• "The trifecta comprising the solution's most valuable features consists of its stability, security and performance."
  • "A problem we have encountered when installing the package is that certain packages are not available, which requires downloading of them on our part."

What other advice do I have?

Our company has over 14,000 employees and this makes it difficult for me to give a hard and fast number of how many use the solution, although I would estimate that 70 percent do so for development purposes. 90 percent of our employees use Windows 10 on their personal computers. I would recommend this solution for development and production purposes for the simple reasons that it is free, stable, secure and shows good performance. These are the four things that I am looking for. I rate Ubuntu Linux as a seven out of ten.
MS
Head of Technical Support at a real estate/law firm with 51-200 employees
Easy to set up, simple to use, and doesn't drain battery power on laptops

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for our Linux servers. We use it for file transfer and remote desktop connections.

• "It's faster than Windows."
  • "When you talk of some of the flexibility, like you want to install from scratch, Windows is more user-friendly compared to Linux."

What other advice do I have?

For Linux, we're using Ubuntu. We have set up everything using Ubuntu. We do have some servers with Oracle Enterprise Linux. Those are running inside our HP DL380 servers. And then I do have Linux Mint and Elementary OS on my laptop and in my desktop at home. I use multiple versions of the solution, including 20.04, 18.04, and 16.04. We do have so many players in the Linux field. You do have Canonical, and they have their own Linux. Then, you have others that are based on Ubuntu. Ubuntu is based on the Debian model. You also have, on the other side, Red Hat and the SUSE Linux, which is IBM…
KS
Computer Manager at a university with 10,001+ employees
Easy to scale and update with good scalability

What is our primary use case?

I'm using it for a file server and for MySQL servers. Those are my primary uses.

• "You can scale the solution quite well."
  • "The solution has a bit of a learning curve. It's not too high, however, you do need to understand the solution to deploy it and work with it effectively."

What other advice do I have?

I'm using the solution more for myself. I'm just an end-user. I don't have a business relationship with Linux. I'm using the latest stable version. If they publish a stable version and then they publish an experimental option, I won't use it. I'll stick with the stable option. It's not something that you run on the cloud. It's what's behind cloud services. I've got an Ubuntu machine at home that I use regularly, but it is also my MySQL server and a file server, all in one box. FileMaker, I know very well and MySQL, I'm learning quickly. Linux, I'm a beginner admin on it. I'm not in a position…
Mukesh Regmi
Co-Founder- Operation & Digital technology transformation at Cloudtreez
Good interface and pretty stable but the initial setup can be difficult

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use it in my day to day work to test my products. There are a lot of open-source tools on the market, and I need this product to have something to deploy them on.

• "They have provided a new interface, which is great."
  • "You need a lot of bandwidth during the initial setup in order to pull from the repository. Without good bandwidth, you'll get cut off and the implementation will fail."

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend the solution. It's very popular among developers. It's worked quite well for us. Of course, solutions like Red Hat and CentOS also have good capabilities. For us, however, Unbuntu is the best. Overall, I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. It offers me basically everything I need and has worked well for our team.
See 40 more Ubuntu Linux Reviews
Download our free Ubuntu Linux Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.