Vembu BDR Suite Overview

Vembu BDR Suite is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Backup tools. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Vembu BDR Suite vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Vembu BDR Suite?

Vembu BDR Suite is one of the most comprehensive, simple and affordable backup & disaster recovery solutions for the small & medium businesses. Vembu can backup VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V, Physical Servers, Workstations, Exchange Items, SharePoint Items, SQL Items, Office365, G Suite, etc. – and they can back that up on-site, off-site, or even to the cloud – not to mention that most of this are done within a single UI.

Vembu offers a wide variety of products such as a monitoring solution to centralize the monitoring of all of your backups as well as some which are absolutely free such as Desktop/Laptop Image Backup and the Vembu Universal Explorer for discovering application items within Microsoft apps. It is important to note that Vembu BDR Suite is offered as a single edition software for all businesses, unlike other backup vendors who provide editions with limitations based on the type of businesses.

Vembu has come up with its own free edition of Vembu BDR Suite by which users can backup unlimited VMs with minimal feature restrictions.

Vembu BDR Suite Buyer's Guide

Download the Vembu BDR Suite Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2020

Vembu BDR Suite Customers

On-Ramp Indiana, DH International, Merrimac Solutions, Qsource Networks, TMI, help4IT, Tech North Solutions Inc. Learn more here

Vembu BDR Suite Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Vembu BDR Suite pricing:
  • "It helps us deliver an enterprise-level data protection solution and reduce budgets at a price that - and we don't want to encourage them to change their pricing - is a great value."
  • "It has actually benefited my operation a fair bit. VMware requires a special hardware while Hyper-V runs on pretty much anything. It doesn't require any special hardware, so it saves a bit of money. Because Vembu does Hyper-V backup, there is no limit on how many VMs you can have. The newer version has a 100 VM limit on the single license, which has been greatly beneficial, because on one host a 100 VMs is a fair bit."
  • "The licensing model is quite complicated; it's not simple. An example: If you have a physical server, you have to pay more for that license than you do for a host. It could be running several VMs and that could be a server VM as well. Then, for web station machines, there is no license for those machines and they have no desktop OS - the free version has all this functionality. Their license model needs to be looked at and simplified."
  • "At the moment, I am doing Vembu for one host. My costs are about $25 USD a month for a single host up to 100 VMs."
  • "It's just the license per host with one CPU, but if I did choose offsite cloud replication, they do charge for the data. They charge per gigabyte, or something like that. They have plans."
  • "When they changed to the newest version (4.1), they have more VMs allowed on the free version. Before, there were only three VMs allowed on the free version, and if you needed to back up more than three VMs, you had to get the paid version. Now, you can have up to 10 VMs on the free version."
  • "It's more affordable than Veeam, so smaller companies can afford to have a solution like this in place, which is very nice."
  • "The subscription model that we're signed up for is very good. The only thing that is something of a sticking point is the fact that you can't do PO-based licensing. It's all just credit card."
  • "The pricing of Vembu could be better. They have a good product, and I know good products cost money, but they need to find a balance."
  • "The only thing with room for improvement, as everybody says, since I'm in a home lab, would be the price for the CPU; the cost... As far as competitors' prices go, Vembu was definitely better than all the competitors I found."

Vembu BDR Suite Reviews

John Demattia
Director of IT at MTSI, Inc.
Mar 10, 2019
Dashboard is very easy to use; the solution does incrementals daily with no effect on server performance

What is our primary use case?

We use it for providing backups and recovery. We have a file server with a little over seven terabytes of data. The content changes quite a bit and we needed an easy tool to work with that would give us the ability to restore in a variety of ways: at the individual file level, folder level, and whole volume level, if necessary. This tool does that for us. We're in telecom and wireless. We do installations and maintenance of towers and equipment for microwave and cellular. We do that mostly in the United States, occasionally in other places in the world. We'll have 400 people out in the field… more »

• "I can choose a point in time and issue the command to back up and I don't need to go in and restore the last full backup and then apply iteratively, sequentially, all the incrementals... I can pick a point in time and tell it I want to go to that state and it's transparent to me. It happens in the background for me."
  • "In the beginning, when we had some hiccups, I would chalk that up more to a learning curve for the product."

What other advice do I have?

It has to meet your needs. But for most people, for backups of large amounts of data, I would strongly encourage you to use it, and not be hesitant to contact the support desk if you have a question. Don't just install it with the intent that your first use is going to be your final setup because there are ways to tune it to make it more efficient on space usage for the pool where you put your backups. The help is there. That's the good thing. With most other products, you're not going to get the same response. Use the help and you're probably going to be quite happy with it. I would encourage…
Assad Ali
Owner at Ali Network Solutions
Jan 26, 2020
Reduces downtime when VMs drop off

What is our primary use case?

I've actively been using the Vembu product for backups. It is being used to back up the Hyper-V environment that I have. If the hypervisor has hardware problems, e.g., all the storage dies, you can run up a new Hyper-V server, then restore the VMs onto it. It doesn't take that long. So, you are up and running within several hours of restoring it. Also, you can restore individual files. Therefore, it's a full VM-based image backup as well as a file level backup, if you want to restore the files that way. There is also an option to restore AD users, computers, and contacts, in addition to… more »

• "I am able to run Vembu on Windows NAS, which is beneficial. It does install on a Windows-based NAS. You can have the server running from the location where you are storing backups. You don't need a separate server for it in this case."
  • "There was one issue though with the hardware IDs. When I went to a different version of Hyper-V, the hardware IDs weren't restored and the machine got two new IDs. The preliminary unique IDs weren't restored, so I had to reactivate programs."

What other advice do I have?

I have learned just how important backups are. My advice would be try and implement it on virtual environments. Don't implement it on a physical environment because the licensing costs would be much higher. You will have less options for recovering VMs. It would be wise to have a cluster. Also, the BDR server should be well spec'd. You can run on the minimum spec, but it is recommended that it has some definite amounts of RAM on it. I am planning to use Vembu to work in VMware, but I have not done that yet. After I pick up some customers, I might try to push it out to them in their VMware…
Learn what your peers think about Vembu BDR Suite. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2020.
455,962 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1386135
IT Consultant at a retailer with 11-50 employees
Sep 9, 2020
Easy to work with, integrates, and works with different operating systems

What is our primary use case?

We use it primarily for backups and restoration of data, for disaster recovery purposes. We back up our file servers as well as our access control servers. We use it for standard, physical Windows 2016 servers, at this stage. The key things we use in this solution thus far are only the backup portion, the recovery, and the reports. We will try to make use of it more extensively, but for now it's working for us. It's on-prem at this stage, but we would love at a later stage to go to the cloud.

• "When you're looking at your dashboard, you can see all your active jobs. You can see exactly if they're successful or failed and you can actually drill down and see what caused the problem. The fact you can see that right away is nice."
  • "What I would love to see on the dashboard are graphs, per backup job. I want to see the month and the days in it... If a job has failed, when did it actually fail and what percentage of it failed? Did it fail completely, 75 percent or 100 percent or did it only fail partially?"

What other advice do I have?

When I look at a product like this there are a couple of basic things it must do: * I must be able to access it easily, deploy it easily * It must be secure. * If I want to make changes, updates must be easy as well. * It must be integratable, compatible with different operating systems. Vembu ticked all the boxes. Do you know when a business starts to appreciate a backup solution? When it loses information and needs to recover it. If your senior management is not very risk-minded or they tend to see these things as a waste of money, the moment they lose information and you can restore it…
Blake Krzic
Application Support Specialist at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
Mar 11, 2019
The agentless backups are key, and I can spool it back up at either of our locations

What is our primary use case?

We're doing onsite local backups as well as offsite DR of our VM infrastructure.

• "The agentless backups are the big selling point on this, as well as being able to send out across sites so that I can do a restore at either of our two locations."
  • "The only place where I would really want to see improvement, out the gate, is more granular scheduling... If I want to do an offset or to only do two backups on Friday and Saturday - versus whole hourly incrementals during the week - I don't have that granularity right now."

What other advice do I have?

Have a separate backup appliance, if you can, a separate, physical backup appliance so that if your host goes, your backup doesn't go down with it at the same time. As far as the encryption is concerned, I'm glad that it's there for site to site. We don't necessarily need it just because of the way that we're connected, so it's not really a selling feature, one way or the other. We don't use Hyper-V. Our Vembu is working with EXSi. I have not had to do a full server restore, yet. But I have had to do restores of incremental points in time, for certain files. We have tested the restore feature…
Chukwu Austine
Team Lead IT Infrastructure & Support at Africa Prudential Plc
Oct 12, 2020
I schedule the backups the way I want them and I don't have to worry about them

What is our primary use case?

We use it for replication to our disaster recovery sites for the storage we have on-prem. We needed our critical infrastructure and our critical applications backed up. We needed to have something we can restore from when we have an issue. Our environment is hybrid. We have some of our servers on-prem, some on Azure, and some on AWS.

• "The main difference I see between Vembu and the other solutions we've tried is that with Vembu, you don't need anybody to tell you what to do. Once you have done the installation you just look at the user interface — it's very friendly — and you can do things yourself without resorting to help from anybody."

What other advice do I have?

It gives me peace of mind. If your infrastructure backup is up and running and trusted, it gives you peace of mind. I have recommended it to a number of people. It's important to note that most backup solutions will tell you that you can download and use their solution for free. But the truth is that that is not the case for almost all of them. After some time, you will have to pay for a license to backup critical sources.
    Reviewer93746
    Owner at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
    Feb 3, 2020
    Having the ability to back up and restore, without having to remember all the options I had installed, gives me peace of mind

What is our primary use case?

I'm using the backup from Vembu for my home lab where I have ESXi. I'm backing up VMware servers. That's all I use it for. I have Oracle Databases running in these VM machines and I do testing, patches, upgrades, etc. I want to be able to back them up and, if need be, restore them so that I don't have to rebuild them. I'm running it in a Windows Server in a VM machine. I have ESXi 6.7 running on a Dell PowerEdge R720 and I have a Windows 10 VM running in that. And in that I have the Vembu BDR running as my backup server.

• "It helps me with restores. I can repeat a test multiple times: Do the test, the restore, and then test again. It saves me time because I don't have to rebuild the VMs every time."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you plan out your backup server for the long-term. When I did this I moved my backup server. When I moved it from one machine to another machine and the IP address changed, there were some headaches. I had to get the knowledge documents and I had to get tech support involved to help me outside of the knowledge document. So try to plan out, for as long as you can plan out, that this is the server, it isn't changing, etc. It has worked as expected. It's straightforward for backing up and it's straightforward for doing the restores. Other than the navigation and what buttons to push…
      Gabor Virag
      Systems Engineer at GVir Informationsmanagement
      Jun 27, 2019
      The encryption feature is important for us because of the very strict data protection rules in Europe

What is our primary use case?

We back up all our customers' files. We back up only files, and maybe some databases. However, primarily, we are backing up files on our own server. We are currently using the updated version of this product.

• "The initial setup is easy and very nice."
      • "The network solution is the most important feature, because we have our own backup server and are doing file backups for our customers."
      • "We have not been able to move our backups from one drive to another one. We can only create a storage pool. However, if we want to change a drive, it is not possible to delete one drive as long there is data on it. For this, we have to call the support. While they can solve this, it is not out-of-the-box."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the product. I already recommend it to our partners. It is a really good solution. I like the product. It has good support. For small companies, it's the perfect solution. We do not use virtual environments. We have done this in the past, but we do not implement virtual clients anymore since we have only small customers and virtual appliances are now on cloud spaces. So, we do not have virtual servers at our customers. We have used Hyper-V, but it was not beneficial.
      reviewer1488360
      President at DirectNetworks, Inc.
      MSP
      Jan 20, 2021
      Flexible, has an intuitive interface, and allows for restoring directly to an ESXi host or vCenter appliance

What is our primary use case?

We manage 100s of backups at any given time. This includes virtual machines, both VMware and Hyper-V, physical machines running Windows, and file-level backups. We have backups that are 100% cloud-based as well as ones that retain both a local backup and a cloud backup copy. The data replicated to the cloud must be contained within a data center that is owned/managed by our organization. Our recovery processes primarily include being able to restore directly to an ESXi host/vCenter appliance. This must be able to be completed in the shortest amount of time possible.

• "The Vembu BDR product is very intuitive and easy to use."
      • "Vembu BDR currently supports backups of O365, although it does not currently have an email archiving function to the O365 backups."

What other advice do I have?

Any organization that is looking to deploy a backup solution in their environment with minimal time commitment and the highest level of confidence in being able to restore their data should be seriously considering one of the Vembu Technologies backup solutions. In summary, the Vembu BDR solution currently fulfills all of the functions that we need it to at this time.
      See 17 more Vembu BDR Suite Reviews