Visual Studio Team System Overview

What is Visual Studio Team System?

Microsoft Visual Studio Team System is a platform for productive, integrated, and extensible software development life-cycle tools that helps software teams by improving communication and collaboration throughout the software development process.

Visual Studio Team System Buyer's Guide

Download the Visual Studio Team System Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Visual Studio Team System Customers

Bluegarden A/S, Tracasa, Rabobank Group, Borusan Otomotiv, Arelik, Alfa Bank

Visual Studio Team System Video

Fad Mohi
Head of Software Development Department at ACT
Reseller
Good code management and sharing capability, but needs better integration with the documentation

What is our primary use case?

We use Visual Studio Team System as part of our development environment. This is the core system to manage our code and our development life cycle.

• "The most valuable feature is the code management, where there is sharing of code for developers and it is distributed within the organization."
  • "The user experience for the task assignment functionality, and more generally the software lifecycle development, needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is to first decide what they need out of it. The benefit of each solution is becoming multidimensional. For example, TFS can be used for managing code, managing software, and lifecycle development. People have to decide which dimension they need to use and then focus on it. Later, they can go to explore and use other dimensions. Otherwise, they will lose a lot of time trying to learn and to adapt to the solution. This is the biggest lesson that we learned from our implementation. Once we mastered its use in one area, we moved on to the…
TelgePeiris
Technical Lead / Project Manager at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Scalable, flexible, and easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for remote repository and management and source control.

• "Microsoft makes great products. They are quite robust."
  • "When you go into the front-end, the web portal, if, for example, you pick up an issue, it would be ideal if the branch was automatically created in the repository. Right now, this isn't the case."

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft. I've been using the latest version of the solution. For those considering the solution, I would advise that they decide between a centralized or distributed repository - and then choose VSTS. For a more centralized repository, VSTS is the nicest I've used so far. I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've largely been happy with the solution overall.
Learn what your peers think about Visual Studio Team System. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.
PH
.Net and MES Architect at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It helps us to develop internal products for internal use and is complete solution with a complete set of features in one box

What is our primary use case?

We are an industrial company so we use this program to develop internal products for internal use. We have a complete panel that develops it, and then we test and deploy.

• "The solution is very stable."
  • "I would say compared to some more modern tools which are made to work offline, with this solution you have to be connected all of the time and with a central server. In our case, it's not a big problem because we all work on-premises, but it can be an issue if you have teams in different locations."

What other advice do I have?

I like the performance management of this solution and my rating would be eight out of ten. The solution works for us but nowadays I would perhaps adviser others to use a cloud-based version like Microsoft DevOps. The biggest lesson I've learned is you can have all the tools but you still have to manage the communication between developers. Even with the tools you can easily run into some issues with several people who work on the same parts of the projects. So it is very important to organize your sources the best you can. But keep the communication channels open.
DG
Dynamics 365/Ax Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use, straightforward to set up, stable, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

Visual Studio Team System is kind of ubiquitous in programming because it's also what a lot of systems use for their source control. It is generally used for source control and deployment, and I have a couple of clients that use it as their ticketing system. In this capacity, it is used for setting up features to be developed in running through their development processes.

• "I am not familiar with any issues with respect to stability, and I have never seen Team System crash."
  • "I have seen customizations with Team System that allowed it to integrate into other ticketing systems like Jira, which would be a really nice feature to see."

What other advice do I have?

The features are fine for what it is. It works very well. It's designed for a specific niche, which is a very big niche. In summary, this is a good product that is straightforward, easy to use, and manages well. It's a fine product. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
JS
Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Fast and responsive with a comprehensive functionality that is good for writing and debugging code

What is our primary use case?

I used this solution for software development, writing and debugging code.

• "IntelliSense and CodeLens are helpful because they can show you details about your function, such as how many times it is called from other places within the code."
  • "I would like to see the inclusion of more programming languages, especially better support for Java."

What other advice do I have?

The 2017 version is similar to 2015, they have added a few things. One difference is the setup experience, although it is not a groundbreaking change. I know that they have released a new version, 2019, that allows for sharing of what you see also remotely. You can work on code with your colleague who is developing somewhere else, remotely. When it comes to this solution, I am not really missing anything I needed from an IDE. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Jan Meeremans
Owner at Myriade
It is stable and scalable and the setup is really straightforward

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to search for smugglers and for people who have open files. So we integrate everything with GDPR and then we distribute this in most parts of Europe. We have some interests in the United States too.

• "The solution is pretty stable."
  • "The technical support could be better."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be to go all the way with this solution. Don't try to find a cheaper solution. On a scale from one to ten, I rate Visual Studio Team System an eight and I'm looking forward to the new Blazers system.
Download our free Visual Studio Team System Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.